• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

numbers on the Frances

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
I have a friend starting their first Camino in a few days. I was wondering how the numbers of Pilgrims are on that route. Numbers starting in SJPdP?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I visited Sarria, Portomarin and Vega de Valcarce last week and I saw many pilgrims in every place. A friend of mine from La Rioja told me yesterday that the situation is similar there.

I am currently in Najera. It hasn’t been crowded while walking each day but almost every place I have stayed has been full (I am staying in private rooms). But I have heard of others who stayed in albergues that were largely empty. I haven’t heard of anyone have any difficulty finding a place to stay, maybe not getting their first choice but still finding beds in the city where they want to be.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked through sarria today.. there were a few about on rest days, on walking out i was alone and eventually passed by 4. I have pic after pic of no pilgrims, and mostly from astorga i have been alone with an occasional cowalker and passer. Popular albergues get full asnpeople trickle in.. but it is rare to find completo until late.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
On any given day, things could be vastly different. You cannot know where the bubbles are at any given time, although avoiding the popular starting locations (SJPDP, Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Sarria) on weekends seems like a good strategy.

Yesterday, 682 pilgrims registered at the Santiago pilgrim office by 5pm.
Today, 1,831 registered.
Tomorrow should be busier if the Sarria starters start arriving.

Edited as I was in error. Since 1886 registered yesterday, it’s clearly just as busy as today.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I spoke to some Pilgrims in Santiago this morning who had just arrived via the Frances. They had pre booked and been OK but said they had heard varying stories about accommodation shortages. Some doing OK, and some were missing out.

I spoke to some Pilgrims in Santiago this morning who had just arrived via the Frances. They had pre booked and been OK but said they had heard varying stories about accommodation shortages. Some doing OK, and some were missing out.
Here is a plausible explanation for the rumors of overpopulation on the CF:

According to pilgrims stats from the Pilgrim Office, there are 100s less coming to SdC these last days, than when I worked as a volunteer in the Office in June 2019. The CF is IMHO not "full" these days. Last 2-3 days some 1800-1900 arrived. I had days with 1900-2500/day... And nobody complained about the lack of beds back then. Some people need to get more street smart... Some firsttimers who do not know the works are creating unneccesary panic, IMHO.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was in Pamplona 2 days ago and Sarria yesterday, and all the albergues I walked by had “completo” signs out. I have reserved in advance, and that’s what I recommend. Buen camino!

A note - there are private albergues that are not just for pilgrims, where you can book in advance and they get full. However that is not always true of Municipal Alberques where you can’t book ahead - many have shared that they are not always full.

A note - there are private albergues that are not just for pilgrims, where you can book in advance and they get full. However that is not always true of Municipal Alberques where you can’t book ahead - many have shared that they are not always full.
Too many know too little...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As private albergues are frequently on Bookingdotcom, they are as likely to be filled with holiday-makers, tourists and other travellers. We cannot assume the albergues are full of pilgrims or camino walkers.

But all those folks are extra competition for the cheaper beds.

As private albergues are frequently on Bookingdotcom, they are as likely to be filled with holiday-makers, tourists and other travellers. We cannot assume the albergues are full of pilgrims or camino walkers.

But all those folks are extra competition for the cheaper beds.
That would depend on the private albergue. Some are "pilgrim-only".

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ve just come over the Route Napoleon and am staying in Espinal. Not many pilgrims here.

That would depend on the private albergue. Some are "pilgrim-only".
True, some are, but not as many as one might think. On gronze, so many of them say they are oriented to pilgrims but not exclusive to them. And if they allow booking via B.com, there’s no gate keeper to filter out non-pilgrims.

True, some are, but not as many as one might think. On gronze, so many of them say they are oriented to pilgrims but not exclusive to them. And if they allow booking via B.com, there’s no gate keeper to filter out non-pilgrims.
Sure, a number are not. But I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush. I would hold Casa da Fernanda and Casa Susi up against any municipal, organizational, or parochial albergue. I don't think you will find them filled with holiday-makers and tourists.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sure, a number are not. But I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush. I would hold Casa da Fernanda and Casa Susi up against any municipal, organizational, or parochial albergue. I don't think you will find them filled with holiday-makers and tourists.
Whose lumping them all together? Not I. Of course there are still some pilgrim-exclusive albergues. I am simply pointing out one of the current realities facing pilgrims who seek albergue beds is that there is competition in many of the albergues with non-pilgrims.

Even municipals may not be all exclusive to pilgrims any more; Undúes de Lerda’s muni, for example, is not exclusive and I shared my 4 bed dorm with 3 non-pilgrims.

I checked in to Roncesvalles Friday night (May 26) at 19:30 and there were 21 beds remaining between the main (?) place and a second building. But it was the start of a weekend, so perhaps numbers were that much higher, as has been explained in other posts.

Saturday night May 27 in Larrasoaña I would have sworn a guy I was walking with was not going find a bed at Casa San Nicolas (where I stayed with a reservation) but there were at least 2 additional beds available (room of 4 beds I was in) when we checked in at 19:00. Capacity 40 and I saw 16 at dinner.

I’m in Pamplona at Casa Ibarrola but that is easy to fill up (20 beds). I didn’t see a Completo sign earlier (around 15:00) at Plaza Catedral (capacity 38), and nearby Jesus y Maria (capacity 112) was also still admitting people.

Perhaps the above helps someone. As a sampling.

I had a similar concern about availability of rooms on Camino Frances due to threads shortly after May 1. We (2) were able to walk into Estella yesterday and Los Arcos today without reservations. We found options of beds in the first albergues in both towns, today at 3:30. Hopefully that helps alleviate some concerns. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back