• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nutrition

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
Would some of you "Camino Veterans" please share what you have learned by experience about good nutrition on the trail and what worked for you as far as meals or snacks, for keeping up your energy, and what didn't work so well. How did you prevent "hitting the wall"?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My favorite walking snacks on the Camino were bananas, peanuts and dark (70% if possible) chocolate. Gives you potassium, carbs and protein and is fairly organic.
Thanks. I tend to lose power if I go more than 4-5 hours without eating. It then takes about an hour to regain my power. I can't be sitting on the side of the road waiting for my lunch to kick in before trekking on.

I had my fair share of bread (with chorizo and/or tuna and/or tomato and/or cheese and/or eggs).

The main issue I have is the bread gets hard very soon and the combination can be very dry when outside in a hot day. My last 2 caminos I forgo the Spanish bread with the regular American type slice bread. They can be kept longer (take about 3 days to finish them), can also to be squash (to certain degree) inside the backpack.

I just take the effort to prepare them for the next day's lunch. Took a few more plastic bags to store the ready made sandwiches when buying fruits at the supermarket. Eat one or two of those for breakfast and pack one or two for lunch. Lunch is pretty much sandwiches, crisps and a can lemon drink.. and fruits. Of course nuts and muesli bars are always on standby.

Dinner is mostly outside at restaurant or platos combinados (plate combination). Occasionally if I have the time might cook a pasta dish if the kitchen in the albergue is well equipped.

P_20150925_121727.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had my fair share of bread (with chorizo and/or tuna and/or tomato and/or cheese and/or eggs).

The main issue I have is the bread gets hard very soon and the combination can be very dry when outside in a hot day. My last 2 caminos I forgo the Spanish bread with the regular American type slice bread. They can be kept longer (take about 3 days to finish them), can also to be squash (to certain degree) inside the backpack.

I just take the effort to prepare them for the next day's lunch. Took a few more plastic bags to store the ready made sandwiches when buying fruits at the supermarket. Eat one or two of those for breakfast and pack one or two for lunch. Lunch is pretty much sandwiches, crisps and a can lemon drink.. and fruits. Dinner is mostly outside at restaurant or platos combinados (plate combination). Occasionally if I have the time might cook a pasta dish if the kitchen in the albergue is well equipped.

P_20150925_121727.jpg
Thanks! I appreciate the info and the picture.

Thanks. I tend to lose power if I go more than 4-5 hours without eating. It then takes about an hour to regain my power. I can't be sitting on the side of the road waiting for my lunch to kick in before trekking on.
You can get snacks like that in a lot of the towns. I would hit the grocery/mercado the day before and get what I needed for the next day's walk. Sometimes I'd get a stick of chorizo and some cheese.

I always maintain a good level of supplementation so a decent multi-vit (powder in capsule, not hard tablet), plus Vit C and Vit D every day. (Note: if you do not normally supplement then I am NOT advocating you start now.)

The typical pilgrim menus and breakfast are really high in carbs which can cause me to crash. My solution was to line up some yogurt, hard cheese, sausage and/or hard boiled eggs every day along with an apple or two. Boosted available high-quality protein for me along with fiber which seems a bit scarce (to me, anyway) on the typical Camino plate.

A dark chocolate bar with almonds was comfort food.

B

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Make sure you get a decent breakfast, don't just go for the croissant/madelena/cakey stuff with coffee. Most bars have bread, so ask for tostada, and instead of marmelade and butter ask for tomato and cheese, or ham and cheese, or ask if they have any tortilla left from yesterday, that should give you a good start to the walking day. Or if that fails, make sure you have a decent second breakfast ... I agree with the banana, peanuts/almonds and chocolate regime. Also shops sometimes sell gazpacho in small juice type boxes, perfect for a quick energising snack with some bread, cheese, cherry tomatoes etc.

Chorizo, cured ham and dark artisanal chocolate. And Aquarius Free.
AAaaahhhh Aquarius.....aside from water and wine my favorite drink on the Camino. I can't wait to go again in 7 weeks :)
I ate every day a banana (or 2) and a glass of fresh OJ (which you can buy in almost every bar). In the small deli like stores in towns I often bought a drink yogurt too. I tried to eat at every meal a salad. And ordered where ever available , (not often) fresh veggies.

In the morning, I tried to go for cheese and chorizo. At times, I'd have tortilla--the egg with potato quiche--but the problem with that is that with reactive hypoglycemia, too much carbohydrate caused me occasional issues.

I found some good avocados, tomatoes, nuts, and cheese at small markets, and tried to snack on those, and it was helpful.

Be cautious with too much cheese on the trail; you can get bound up even while having your fair share of olive oil.

Drinking at least a liter of water every day helped me a lot, and having plenty of salty olives.

I agree that it is not a good idea to over-do it with morning cakes, fresh-squeezed orange juice (tasty yes, but straight sugar), and chocolate panier. Get that protein in.

... Drinking at least a liter of water every day helped me a lot ...

Drinking, at least, between 2.5 - 3 litres of water every day is better for preventing tendonitis, etc., etc.

Tortilla is my favourite breakfast. Mixed salads when they are on offer seems to be about the only vegetable in the pilgrim menus.

Drinking, at least, between 2.5 - 3 litres of water every day is better for preventing tendonitis, etc., etc.

Tortilla is my favourite breakfast. Mixed salads when they are on offer seems to be about the only vegetable in the pilgrim menus.

I agree. More water is ideal. Walking in March and early April was much colder, and I did not feel the need to drink as much water. I should add that daily, my fluids included at least three coffees and three beers, with at least one can of lemon!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Yup. I drank at least 3-4 liters of water a day on my Caminos. I would start off in the morning even before I began walking with 1/2-1 liter of water. One is more dehydrated than they realize when they first wake up.
Water flushes out toxins and keeps the joints lubed.

Yup. I drank at least 3-4 liters of water a day on my Caminos. I would start off in the morning even before I began walking with 1/2-1 liter of water. One is more dehydrated than they realize when they first wake up.
Water flushes out toxins and keeps the joints lubed.
Your skin looks great, Mark! ;)

I will add my 2 cents to the discussion. For my body at my age, if I am doing really heavy exercise for long periods of time (say a 120 mile bike ride on a hot day), I need to proactively refuel and rehydrate or I "bonk" and my performance falls way off.

That said, some form of carb/electrolyte each hour, about 1/2 to 1 liter is needed, especially in heat. I like Gatoraid, but there are others. http://www.runnersworld.com/hydration-dehydration/what-sports-drinks-you-should-be-drinking

Additional water is fine, but an electrolyte with magnesium and salts is important. Long distance runners end up in the hospital from drinking to much just water. I also need to have some protein every 2 hours to keep going for a long day of exercise. I usually prefer some kind of meat, maybe with a little cheese. Sausage or beef jerky are my favorites. On my Camino, I intent to buy hard sliced sausage or ham as often as I can and take a bunch of zip-lock bags with me. In Europe for picnics, I find that 100 grams of sausage makes 2 nice big servings.

On long multi-day exercise adventures, I feel that muscle recovery is critically important. As such, I like to get a protein shake or chocolate milk for lunch (immediately --within a half hour---after I stop so I am ready for a hard afternoon of exercise) and at the end of the day (within half an hour of stopping so the next day I will be recovered to do it again). In running there is a lot of research into recovery drinks and the amount of protein and carbs required per pound of body weight taken within in a half hour of ending your strenuous work out. On a Camino, this is going to be a day after day after day kind of work out where recovery is critical.

http://vancouversun.com/news/commun...epted-recovery-drink-after-strenuous-activity

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-coach-jenny/the-skinny-on-recovery-drinks

Good luck.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I carried two, one liter bottles. One was water. The other was a cup of juice, a cup of wine, and the remainder water (the ratios varied somewhat, as it was mostly leftovers). Sipping the juice/wine/water combo gave a nice energy boost, especially if I wasn't able to get to second breakfast (usually a slice of tortilla espanole) within about two hours.

Dried fruit, nuts, chocolate, and a chunk of cheese were other mainstays.

Walking the Le Puy route last year from Le Puy to Conques, we found dried apricots available in many places. They are a great source of energy. On that route, there are a few places where you can go a day without finding any place to eat or buy food, so you do have to plan ahead a bit.

On our second day out, as we passed through St. Privat d'Allier, we bought a decent sized cheese, probably about 10-12cm in diameter and 6cm thick. I think it was either goat or sheep cheese, with the kind of ugly rind my wife really really likes. That provided us lunches for several days, with a demi-baguette of bread that we'd pick up each morning if we could find a boulangerie. We'd usually ask in the morning while eating breakfast (always jam and bread in France) where we could get bread. If there wasn't anyplace we could get any, the person running the gite/chambre d'hote would often offer to let us have the leftover bread from breakfast.

There was also one day when we just couldn't find anything and ended up eating a couple of Clif bars that I was carrying as a backup plan. They're not in the same class as French cheese and bread, but they kept us going through the day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will add my 2 cents to the discussion. For my body at my age, if I am doing really heavy exercise for long periods of time (say a 120 mile bike ride on a hot day), I need to proactively refuel and rehydrate or I "bonk" and my performance falls way off.

That said, some form of carb/electrolyte each hour, about 1/2 to 1 liter is needed, especially in heat. I like Gatoraid, but there are others. http://www.runnersworld.com/hydration-dehydration/what-sports-drinks-you-should-be-drinking

Additional water is fine, but an electrolyte with magnesium and salts is important. Long distance runners end up in the hospital from drinking to much just water. I also need to have some protein every 2 hours to keep going for a long day of exercise. I usually prefer some kind of meat, maybe with a little cheese. Sausage or beef jerky are my favorites. On my Camino, I intent to buy hard sliced sausage or ham as often as I can and take a bunch of zip-lock bags with me. In Europe for picnics, I find that 100 grams of sausage makes 2 nice big servings.

On long multi-day exercise adventures, I feel that muscle recovery is critically important. As such, I like to get a protein shake or chocolate milk for lunch (immediately --within a half hour---after I stop so I am ready for a hard afternoon of exercise) and at the end of the day (within half an hour of stopping so the next day I will be recovered to do it again). In running there is a lot of research into recovery drinks and the amount of protein and carbs required per pound of body weight taken within in a half hour of ending your strenuous work out. On a Camino, this is going to be a day after day after day kind of work out where recovery is critical.

http://vancouversun.com/news/commun...epted-recovery-drink-after-strenuous-activity

Good luck.
Thanks. That is a lot of good information. I appreciate the time you took to do this.

LOL .... but omg 3 or 4 liters !!! I try very hard but 2 liters of water is kind of the max I can do. That is why I add some cans of Aquarius....
ha ha....
Three liters is only six standard water bottles. First one or two of the day first thing in the morning and really not that hard to down five or seven more over the course of several hours and miles before I reach my stop for the day.
Mind you, it does make for a lot of "pit stops" along the Camino, and I think that prospect is why so many pilgrims don't hydrate enough.
Obviously some days on the Camino you need less water than others. All my Camino walking has been during the summer months.

ha ha....
Three liters is only six standard water bottles. First one or two of the day first thing in the morning and really not that hard to down five or seven more over the course of several hours and miles before I reach my stop for the day.
Mind you, it does make for a lot of "pit stops" along the Camino, and I think that prospect is why so many pilgrims don't hydrate enough.
Obviously some days on the Camino you need less water than others. All my Camino walking has been during the summer months.
You are absolutely right....some fear the "pit stops" :) (women for sure ! ) I train in FL all year where it's mostly hot to very hot and worse....humid. Even here I only drink 1 to 2 liters of water a day. I know, not enough. But yes...I will make it my goal to drink at least 2.5 liters of water coming Camino. And....my favorite Aquarius drinks :)

Last edited:
You are absolutely right....some fear the "pit stops" :) (women for sure ! ) I train in FL all year where it's mostly hot to very hot and worse....humid. Even here I only drink 1 to 2 liters of water a day. I know, not enough. But yes...I will make it my goal to drink at least 2.5 liters of water coming Camino. And....my favorite Aquarius drinks :)

Ya know, I really tried to drink, drink, drink without worrying about the pit stops--as an older adult, I have more pit stops than the norm anyway! But, for sure, it can be inconvenient at times. I always try to order a cafe con leche or cervez con lemon before running in to the aseos!

I wonder if the lemon drink I had added to my beer every day--medicinal hydration program!--was an Aquarius drink!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A kilo of muesli lasts 4 days of breakfast consisting of a bowl mixed with a small yoghurt. Tea with breakfast if there was a way to make hot water ... otherwise a can of coke.

I started by buying a breadstick and enough salami or cheese for a day ... that would be lunch. When the weather got cold (and after getting some bread suitable only for carpentry) I got into the habit of stopping for a bocadilla frances or hot omelet sandwich. Bocadillo espanol is good too.

A piece of fruit ... orange or banana ... the banana is a good source of potassium.

Chocolate to fill corners near the end of the day.

And Menu Peregrino for dinner. At 10 euro (average) it was well worth the price. Particularly as it meant no need to shop for food every day, no need to cook, no need to dispose of excess food, and no need to wash up. Usually there was wine included ... bonus.

Most of the albergues had kitchens but few had utensils of any sort ... so cooking was usually not an option. I recall making hot water for breakfast using a wine glass in a microwave (my own cup being metal) there being no other container.

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly suggest you try to find a market along the way after around 1300 so you find what you can't in the mornings as many times all you may get is coffee & toast. Many days of that in a row & it gets a bit old. My biggest mistake was I simply never slowed down. Take the time to find good food. They have the freshest Pears & hand squeezed orange juice! But I had a rough time finding an egg. Study Spanish for foods you like.

Would some of you "Camino Veterans" please share what you have learned by experience about good nutrition on the trail and what worked for you as far as meals or snacks, for keeping up your energy, and what didn't work so well. How did you prevent "hitting the wall"?

lots of bars on route, coffee, beer or wine depending on the time of the day, accompanied by spanish tortilla (potato omelette), chorizo bocadillos (baguettes), manchego cheese, simple lettuce or tomato salads, or even a 'menu del día'... i guess you could call it 'spanish bar food'.

works for me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many albergues will make a sandwich for you to take along. It's usually serrano ham, tortilla, or sweet ham some do escalivada (grilled vegetables) or cheese. I always carry a bag of mixed nuts/fruit/seeds and a couple of pieces of fresh fruit. Take advantage of any markets & shops you find along the way as they can be few and far between. If you are arriving on the late train from Bayonne to SJPP and intend leaving early in the morning, buy your food for the next day at the little shop beside the station as you may not be able to do so early the next morning.

Hi, I always bought yogurt the night before and that coupled with a banana and cafe con leech keep me going all morning. Lunch was usually tortilla or bocadillos but I was travelling with others so we often shared and it was plenty. Usually a piece of fruit to finish. Very occasionally we would find a cafe or small restaurant that had soup. Really welcomed on rainy days. And always had small bags of almonds to snack on. Dinner was never an issue.
Enjoy

I find there is nothing better for a reviver than a bit of fresh fruit. It gets me through those last 5 kilometres. During summer cherries, berries, in late summer fresh figs (my favourite), in autumn grapes and apples, bananas all year round. Apart from the bananas, the others are locally grown and abundant. I never, ever, steal from the trees or vines, but I have picked up windfall apples.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Beer was my 1400 snack
I remember seeing a group of German walkers drinking a beer with their breakfast. They weren't a party crowd, so I figured it was either cultural or good for energy. One morning, I hyper-rationalized that I was in Spain so I should do as the Germans do, and I discovered that a good beer with breakfast really helped with the walking, probably for the same reason as my wine + juice + water bottle.

After starting off with coffee con leche & a croissant, I usually had at the ready:

Hard cheese
Canned fish
Olives
Nuts
Bread (if eaten same day)
Fruit
Chocolate
Aquarius or can of lemon drink
Protein bars

Remember when you go into a Tienda for fruit, do not select it yourself. Go directly to someone for assistance, with a greeting first. They will weigh it and label it with the price. It is a huge No No to handle fruit yourself. There is another thread on this.

I think there were only 3 days on the camino where I had to take food for the whole day. For me that meant having a cheese sandwich and nuts and some fruit along with me. Most days I was joking that I was eating my way across Spain. I often waited for the 7 am breakfast if offered with my accommodations - usually bread and jam and tea. If there was no breakfast being served, I usually had a granola bar to eat on my way out of town. By 9 am I was sitting eating second breakfast - sometimes a chocolate croissant, sandwich or potato/egg pie. Within another hour and a half I would stop for tea, and then I still stopped for lunch. I learned to order something to eat just before 3 pm because dinner wasn't served until 7.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Café con leche and madalenas in breakfast (I try to adapt to local ways).
An apple (even two) a day keeps the doctor away. They are good and easily stored in the backpack.
Not commercial "energy bars" for snack. A personal "pilgrim mix" of peanuts, almonds, nuts and other dry seeds; I buy them in Spain in candy stores. Very much cheaper, and "personalized".
Dark chocolate -it is a suprising energy booster, and good for the soul, too.
I usually go for "menús del día". But in isolated, long journeys I buy bread (not commercial sliced bread, for sure -sorry, @evanlow!) local ham and cheese. I don't buy them in supermarkets, prefer local peasant markets (like the one in SJPP) or specialized "fiambrerías" shops. They are not much more expensive, and are much better quality.
Only half a liter of water, or just a bit more (I recharge when possible). This should explain the poor and coarse condition of my skin, as you can see in my avatar.

Last edited:
How did you prevent "hitting the wall"?
Taking a different tack on this subject, conditioning should be considered (not saying you have not, Joodle). There are lots of great ideas suggested here, and all, even the beer with breakfast, are good.
But preparation leads to enjoyment, and training or conditioning, your body to be more efficient for the long effort of walking day after day is part of the equation.

Buen Camino!

I usually had the standard breakfast: cafe con leche and tostadas, sometimes with orange juice. For lunch, always a piece of apple and a piece of hard cheese, generally sheep cheese, which keeps well. Sometimes I bought carrots and occasionally bread to have with my lunch. For my main meal, in the evening, I usually ate the menu peregrino for 10 euros. I always asked for ensalada mixta with that. I found that I seldom got enough fresh fruit and vegetables. I didn't drink a lot, except for wine with dinner and cafe con leche. I had a problem with getting fresh water in Galicia, as the fountains were not labelled agua potable so I didn't feel safe drinking the water. Generally, water fountains are labelled elsewhere. As emergency food, I carried peanut butter flavoured granola bars. I have been known to crumble these with milk or yogourt for breakfast or eat them on the trail for quick energy. My food strategy was based in part on carrying very little food, so at most times only the granola bars, a large apple, and a hunk of cheese would be found in my backpack. Food can be heavy and I carried plenty as it was. I drank as much water as I wanted, which generally wasn't much. I walked in October/November. My first day on the camino, which was September 30, I was very thirsty when I arrived at Orisson, so I ordered a glass of orange juice - six euros! Fortunately, food of all sorts was very reasonably priced in Spain. With a bit of planning, you will be fine. Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I tend to lose power if I go more than 4-5 hours without eating. It then takes about an hour to regain my power. I can't be sitting on the side of the road waiting for my lunch to kick in before trekking on.

The simple answer is to just not go more than 4 or 5 hours without eating :) You should never need to do that. This isn't the Pacific Crest Trail or anything where you are walking through remote places without any civilization. There are towns and villages along the way so you can stop for coffee, snack, lunch - and you can take food in your pack for those times when you need a pick-me-up. As for sitting by the side of the road for an hour - why couldn't you do that? Sitting for an hour in a beautiful natural spot or at a bar or cafe in town during the middle of the day on the Camino is a wonderful thing. You'll find people napping under trees, reading, having lunch, mediating, having a rest - whatever. Others will be hanging out in town squares, visiting churches, and so on.

I found the answer was never to go past an open bar in a village - just in case there wasn't another one for a while. Towns are different. I think my pattern was remarkably similar to many others already described. I would carry a combination of nuts, dried fruit, chocolate and sweets to nibble on should I need that. Each evening I would try and buy three pieces of fruit, along with bread and a little cheese or meat if that was available. Remember that in many small villages, bread is delivered, and tiendas might not have a large supply or variety available late in the day.

With the fruit, I always tried to get a banana or two, and an orange or apple that would survive in my pack the next day. This would give me fruit to eat immediately, the next morning and then along the road during the day.

The first order of the day was to find breakfast if it wasn't available where I was staying. I cannot recall having to walk for more than an hour to find an open cafe, other than in the Pyrenees, although there were a few longer stretches without a bar later in the day. Lunch was either a picnic from my pack or a bocadilla at a bar. I think I had all the major variations on dinner - out, in the albergue, prepared by others, myself or in a group. What I did find was that if I was staying in a smaller village, it was easier to shop for dinner during the day around lunch time when shops were more likely to be open.

Last edited:
If you're really concerned about your vitamin/mineral uptake, you can purchase effervescent tablets in a tube in pharmacies and sometimes grocery stores. Like Nuun or Emergen-C, and there's often all kinds of vitamin combination.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Calories should be considered your friend. You'll probably burn 5000-8000 calories carrying a pack 6-8 hours a day. The camino is really one of those things you have to approach with a eat, sleep, walk, do it again tomorrow kind of mentality. And the eating should be kind of constant through the day. I personally lived on a walking diet of a big loaf of bread, half a kilo of cheese, half a kilo of that really fatty ham and as many fruits/vegs as you could find and carry for 30 days and can say I'm still somewhat normal (I would also make sure to get a bottle of Fanta Orange each day, but that is just me...and yes it was that good). Coffee, bread, cheese and fruit in the morning to get the fire burning...keep throwing fat on the fire to keep it burning all day long.

Maintaining energy levels was not my problem. Eating too much was! :oops:

Breakfast may often be just toast and coffee (I stayed in CR, small Hotels).
So a café stop mid morning would often be a coffee and a slice of Tortilla.

Like Doug, I tended to stop in most villages for at least a coffee.

Make sure you have 'something' in your pack, just in case you miss a meal. As well as for energy boosts along the way on the longer stretches.
For an 'emergency' meal I would often have a roll with some cheese or similar in it, living in my pack for a day or two.

For snacks I carried a pack of nuts and raisons in my waist belt pouch. I would nibble a mouthful at water breaks. Lots of water of course! Half a litre before leaving in the morning, and constant sipping whilst walking. I often carried a small 300 ml bottle of water in the side pouch with hydration powder in it. I would sip from this one through the day just to keep up the salts and minerals.

Oh, and always a banana or two each day

What I will not eat and drink this time! :(

Chocolate bars. Cakes. and Aquarius! A great drink but packed with sugar.

Maybe this time I can actually lose some weight ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I remember seeing a group of German walkers drinking a beer with their breakfast. They weren't a party crowd, so I figured it was either cultural or good for energy. One morning, I hyper-rationalized that I was in Spain so I should do as the Germans do, and I discovered that a good beer with breakfast really helped with the walking, probably for the same reason as my wine + juice + water bottle.
The hard part was just stopping at 1 2 glasses after about an hour I wanted to take a nap.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I always bought yogurt the night before and that coupled with a banana and cafe con leech keep me going all morning. Lunch was usually tortilla or bocadillos but I was travelling with others so we often shared and it was plenty. Usually a piece of fruit to finish. Very occasionally we would find a cafe or small restaurant that had soup. Really welcomed on rainy days. And always had small bags of almonds to snack on. Dinner was never an issue.
Enjoy
Soup? Have never seen it In bars, but oh would it ever hit The spot on cold rainy days!

I find there is nothing better for a reviver than a bit of fresh fruit. It gets me through those last 5 kilometres. During summer cherries, berries, in late summer fresh figs (my favourite), in autumn grapes and apples, bananas all year round. Apart from the bananas, the others are locally grown and abundant. I never, ever, steal from the trees or vines, but I have picked up windfall apples.
Never realised where The wore windfall ca me from.

We are on the Camino now. We eat very little bread while walking, but shop the night before for ,cheese, sweet peppers, fruit and usu asually carry dark chocolate. There are times we buy sauageo r pepperoni. In the Basque region we found a sweet dry sausage reminded me of Laup Chong, Chinese sausage. They have good protein bars AL so. Remember to hydrate.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are on the Camino now. We eat very little bread while walking, but shop the night before for ,cheese, sweet peppers, fruit and usu asually carry dark chocolate. There are times we buy sauageo r pepperoni. In the Basque region we found a sweet dry sausage reminded me of Laup Chong, Chinese sausage. They have good protein bars AL so. Remember to hydrate.

How's the weather? Looking cold and wet on the forecasts :(

That sounds good to me. I love sweet peppers, cheese and chocolate. I'll be in hog heaven. I too have to watch the bread intake. Thanks!

How's the weather? Looking cold and wet on the forecasts :(
We started in mid-March had snow in the Pyrenees and snow several other places. Intermittent rain and sunny days. It has been raining here in Santiago the last couple of days. Just like home in the Seattle area.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm on my Camino Frances now. I've been a vegetarian for 46 years so have studied nutrition, I've had to because of all the challenges and arguments, but that's another story.

The following is true for non-vegos too.

I've shopped in the larger towns for a variety of nuts and dried fruits and bars of dark chocolate and "energy bars". I make my own trail mix and top up a small (OK, not tiny) ziplock bag every day. Carrefours or for better quality and variety, Dia, are two supermarket chains. Dia is harder to find but worth it in my opinion. How does dried apricots, cashews, walnuts, almonds and sultanas sound?! Ambrosia. I find that I easily pick the point when I've had enough, don't pig out on that delicious but rich stuff.

Dark chocolate is a good source of iron. Not commonly known. Nuts are great for protein and beneficial fats. Nuts are NOT a heavy source of saturated fats. This stuff tastes great as an energy top up with water towards the end of the day when you need some carbs and a mix of nutritious stuff. I avoid too much cheese, it jams me up.

Also fresh fruit when I can get it. Bananas are hardly ever ripe here, in my experience. Bananas should never be crunchy! It's probably to do with the time of year. But the quality of the oranges is outstanding. "Fresh orange juice" means exactly that. A hit I never walk away from.

And BTW, I've lost some weight, at least 10 pounds in 3 weeks, I'll wager.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Reading all the above with interest, my husband will be sweet, however I have lots of food allergies (wheat, oats, dairy, raw tomatoes, onions, bananas) and several anaphylatic ones (capsicum, chilli, paprika, cayenne, shellfish, crustaceans) and know I'm going to struggle - I have just done a trial of gf cereal and fruit for 2 weeks and have had no energy and brain fog (and poor sleep), back on my eggs for brekkie and tuna and spinach with nuts & seeds or for lunches and I am alert and full of energy. My standby snack food is jars of babyfood - each one is a balanced meal - so am really really hoping I can easily get baby food whilst on route, because the bread, cheese and chorizo options are definitely out!

We start on the Primitivo on the 18th May. :)

€83,-
Sounds devine! Are sundried apricots and sultanas readily available or are they processed with sulphites?
The apricots were dark and only semi-dry and moist. I've run out. Because they were dark, I doubt they were loaded with chemicals. The ingredients list says "conservadores" and some numbers, so I guess that's preservatives. EU food laws seem pretty strict. The dried fruit bags I have are Dia home brand. I'm down to sultanas and dates. Under the circumstances, I'm not being overly fussy about chemicals. I'll hunt in Leon on Monday to stock up again. I have to take what's in stock, shelves haven't been stocked with the same items in different cities. Dia's nuts were very fresh, even the walnuts which I find is the test. Stale walnuts are pretty unpleasant.

I have no dietary restrictions, so just go for a healthy mix from the choices available along the way each day. Plenty of fruit, salads, tortilla, soups, bread/toast during the day and Menu de Peregrino in the evenings.

Just a note for those who think bread is a healthier alternative to pastries: Anything made with flour, sweet or not, breaks down in the body in the form of sugars. The pastries probably have more fat, so bread would be a slightly leaner choice, but not necessarily a more healthful one.

Protein, fresh vegetables and fruit are the most healthy options, no matter where you are. Dried fruits, nuts, olives, and to some extent, dark chocolate, are quick and healthy snacks as long as you don't eat too many of them (I tend to put on weight, so I'll have to be careful!).

Not a Camino veteran, but if you have a considerable "front pack," when walking/hiking over many days, you can go into fat burning mode for pretty much the whole time. One downside, burst energy in such mode is really low, making for extremely slow uphills unless you pop some sugar (I would usually carry a few packs of gummi fruit for those situations where I really needed to make quick time over a mountain).

If your body fat is low though, obviously you would need to refuel constantly. I haven't really had that problem since college.... :(

hQUOTE="Richard Ward, post: 401131, member: 55102"]Not a Camino veteran, but if you have a considerable "front pack," when walking/hiking over many days, you can go into fat burning mode for pretty much the whole time. One downside, burst energy in such mode is really low, making for extremely slow uphills unless you pop some sugar (I would usually carry a few packs of gummi fruit for those situations where I really needed to make quick time over a mountain).

If your body fat is low though, obviously you would need to refuel constantly. I haven't really had that problem since college.... :([/QUOTE]

My not inconsiderable 'front pack' not doubt sustained me well on the 40 day journey. I was sure not to let it get depleted too much! :oops:

All joking apart, I found a handful of nuts and raisons along with a slug of hydration 'fluids' gave me a great boost later in the day. These were sipped in addition to lots of plain water....

For my hydration fluids I started off using hydration powder in a small bottle of water. The stuff you buy from a Pharmacy for treating dehydration.

My mistake I think, was then using Flec To Min (a sports hydration powder) that is probably too high in sugar and then Aquarius. Also loaded with sugar.... Think Powerade / Gatorade.

I think these sports drinks are more 'energy drinks' than 'hydration' drinks, to replace salts and minerals....

This time I'll still to water with hydration salts as required....

Last edited:
@Robo , in larger grocery story stores you can find sugar free Aqurius, "Aquarius libre". Unfortunatley not as common in bars and small shops. But Aquarius ends up costing a pretty penny day after day. I bring effervescent tablets like Nuun or Zym.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Robo , in larger grocery story stores you can find sugar free Aqurius, "Aquarius libre". Unfortunatley not as common in bars and small shops. But Aquarius ends up costing a pretty penny day after day. I bring effervescent tablets like Nuun or Zym.

I might just bring some more 'medicinal' type powder sachets or effervescent tablets like you suggest. I don't know those brands but will find similar...

I wanted to test how I would do in a long walk both physically, mentally and nutritionally, so just did a 50km trail hike with 1500m elevation gain in 8.5 hours. I stopped 2 times for around 6-7 minutes to eat a sandwich and 1 time to switch socks before trail running.

I had a Vegetable+cheese sandwich and a Ma Baker Giant Bar (dont know if these are avaible in Spain but something similar should suffice) for breakfast, and started the hike.
Every odd hour I had an apple (3 in total) and every even hour I had a sandwich or Giant Bar (2 further sandwiches and an additional Giant Bar).
What worked like a charm is what others already mentioned: Raisin and Nuts. I packed a small bag and popped in a handful before every uphill. For the last 10km of the hike I didn't eat anything and I was so full of energy that I did some trail running to finish below 9 hours.
When I got home I made scrambled eggs with 3 eggs and a large bowl of oatmeal.
Of course lots of water, I think I drank like 3 liters total that day.

I was packed light (maybe 2kg including water and food) so I guess making around 35 km daily on the mainly flatter Camino with a 5-6 kg pack would require the same amount of intake, maybe I could cut one of the Giant Bars and the oatmeal, but since this 'menu' doest not contain any meats, maybe its a good idea to not miss eating a lot of oats.

I wanted to test how I would do in a long walk both physically, mentally and nutritionally, so just did a 50km trail hike with 1500m elevation gain in 8.5 hours. I stopped 2 times for around 6-7 minutes to eat a sandwich and 1 time to switch socks before trail running.

What a great 'test' you've carried out. Nothing beats actually getting out there and trying things. 50kms in under 9 hours is really impressive.

Just a word of caution though.................

Switch down a gear when you get to Spain ;) You might want to supplement the food consumed under your 'test conditions' with a diet that has been trialled and tested in rugged field conditions 'ad nauseam' over decades, perhaps even centuries, by hundreds of thousands of Pilgrims..............

Café Con Leche, Tortilla, Bananas, Paella, Bocadillo, Vino Tinto, and a couple of dozen other 'staples'.

You may find, one of the safest ways to make dietary choices and seek out these 'staples' whilst walking is this........

Two or three times during the day.....

Walk into a café or Bar.

Whatever they have piled up on the counter that day, order some with your beverage of choice :D
What they have, it is always best consumed at a table with other Pilgrims....

All joking apart, I think nutrition is something people really do worry about the first time around. Particularly if they have specific dietary needs. But I think there are enough refuelling stations along the way (certainly on the CF, my only Camino so far) to keep topped up.

Oh, talking of specific dietary needs, if anyone is wondering if I am packing the Rice Cooker this time, you will be relieved to hear.....NO.
My wife Pat (who is Thai) struggles with her daily intake of Rice. Yes, I know there is Rice along the Camino. We've had that debate here. Many times. But she eats it three times a day! And we are not 'self cooking' in Albergues...... Another long debate....

She has opted for Plan B.
This involves eating whatever is available.
And if.....if.....she needs a supplement of Asian Style Carbs.......we have 3 packs of Thai Noodles, a lightweight cup, and a heating coil :p

I suspect the Noodles won't get opened.......

Phew.........anyone looking for a brand new 'mini' rice cooker, or two....:rolleyes:

Café Con Leche, Tortilla, Bananas, Paella, Bocadillo, Vino Tinto, and a couple of dozen other 'staples'.

I am really eager to try out Spanish fruit, bakeries, wine and will taste local cooked food as much as possible. I don't like coffe, but I think I have not come across a thread in this forum without reading Cafe Con Leche, so I will definetly take a sip into my girlfriend's to see what the hype is all about ;)

I also wanted to test this 'menu' because it is low budget (costs around 8 euros for a day), and convinced me that if we can't come up with the golden 30 euros/day we can still make the Camino adding some low budget days.

I am really eager to try out Spanish fruit, bakeries, wine and will taste local cooked food as much as possible. I don't like coffe, but I think I have not come across a thread in this forum without reading Cafe Con Leche, so I will definetly take a sip into my girlfriend's to see what the hype is all about ;)

I also wanted to test this 'menu' because it is low budget (costs around 8 euros for a day), and convinced me that if we can't come up with the golden 30 euros/day we can still make the Camino adding some low budget days.

You'll both have a great time I'm sure. Buen Camino :)

I might just bring some more 'medicinal' type powder sachets or effervescent tablets like you suggest. I don't know those brands but will find similar...
These types of tablets are found here is outdoor stuff shops and running stuff stores. Some even have caffeine for those last 4 km!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Also shops sometimes sell gazpacho in small juice type boxes, perfect for a quick energising snack with some bread, cheese, cherry tomatoes etc.

Just want to echo nidarosa's excellent suggestion. Though I've walked caminos since 2000, it was only last year that LTfit introduced me to the joys of gazpacho in a box. It is generally delicious, always refreshing, and ridiculously cheap. And since it is generally located in the refrigerated section, it is cold and refreshing in ways that buying a bottle of juice off the drink aisle might not be.

An unrelated comment about yoghurt, which is an excellent snack to have while walking, IMO. I have learned from experience that yoghurt (whether it is the "longa vida" type or not) can survive for days unrefrigerated in a backpack. I always try to have a couple in my pack for a rest stop.

Yes, yogurt! I love the lemon flavour one and always ask for a yogurt for dessert after my menu because my body seems to crave it, probably for the calcium? The pilgrim menu isn't so bad if you learn how to choose well - salad or soup for starter to get some veg, anything with veg for main if possible, or go for eggs, like an omelette with tomato etc, and then fruit or yogurt for dessert instead of cake or icecream. Mind you, tarta de Santiago is all almonds, eggs and sugar, so perfect pilgrim walking fuel!

YOGHURT!: Dia supermarkets here in Spain sell a home brand yoghurt drink flavoured with fresh coconut and pineapple! YUMMMMMMMMEEEEEEE! They also do a strawberry and banana one. I popped a (plastic) bottle in my backpack, it kept without refrigeration for a couple of days. And no spoon necessary.

ELECTROLYTES!: A Qantas cabin crew lady I used to know told me a trade secret. Crew, who get dehydrated because of the super dry environment in planes, use a non-prescription powdered electrolyte sold as a box of sachets. I can't remember the name tough. It's sold as a treatment for dehydration for diarrhoea! The trouble with Gatorade and the like is that it's loaded with sugar.

Just a note for those who think bread is a healthier alternative to pastries: Anything made with flour, sweet or not, breaks down in the body in the form of sugars. The pastries probably have more fat, so bread would be a slightly leaner choice, but not necessarily a more healthful one...

And when and where else can I eat a chocolate croissant every morning (or 1/2 of one, my preference) and not gain weight? It's a luxury I will not give up in the name of nutrition or anything else :).

On the dinner menu peregrino, order two primero which are usually healthier than the traditional secondo of fried pollo, lomo, or merluza. Skip half the french fries and limit the white bread. My favorite pair is lentejas then ensalada. This was a trick I learned from a frustrated vegetarian I walked with.
I usually have a second breakfast of sardines along the trail to get enough protein to avoid my 2pm body crash. The traditional tostada does not carry me--but the cafe con leche does.

€83,-
My wife and I walked last year from Paris to Santiago (80 days),we are raw vegans so only ate fresh fruit and veges,this may sound extreme to some but its what we do,we had lots of energy,lots of bananas, oranges, stone fruit,melons,apples etc.We will do the same again this year,the primative and the North Camino.B T W we are both 70 ish,Good Luck Alan & Janette.

My wife and I walked last year from Paris to Santiago (80 days),we are raw vegans so only ate fresh fruit and veges,this may sound extreme to some but its what we do,we had lots of energy,lots of bananas, oranges, stone fruit,melons,apples etc.We will do the same again this year,the primative and the North Camino.B T W we are both 70 ish,Good Luck Alan & Janette.
Wow! Let me emphasize that again Wow! With all the blood sausage, fish & meat served in pilgrim menus did you eat primarily from the markets/stores?

Wow! Let me emphasize that again Wow! With all the blood sausage, fish & meat served in pilgrim menus did you eat primarily from the markets/stores?
Yes after being on this lifestyle for 14 years we are quite used to it.The hardest part of it on the Camino was sometimes having to carry an extra few kilo's of fruit,however we keep our packs around 7kg, so 3kg of fruit extra for a few hours is ok. We stock up every chance we get,stores supermarkets,even some cafe's have bananas and oranges.The end of the day we buy enough for dinner and the next morning. If we run short anytime we just tough it out,fasting is ok right!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Our meals are:-
breakfast - cafe con leche and croissant
'bocadillo time (around 11.00am) - drink and sandwich (either in a bar or own made)
lunch - menu del día (not menu de peregrino) around 13.-13.30 ideally
mid/late afternoon - drink and cake
early evening - either raciones type snack or make our own.

We carry a tin of sardines and a little bread, apple or similar for extras. Never pass up a good bar, as @dougfitz has already said.

I've been a vegetarian for 46 years. I'm interested in veganism for purely ethical reasons but have never made the jump. I prefer to use rather 'conservative' medical/scientific/nutritional info so I keep an eye on essential amino acids, for instance. In other words I keep a close eye on my protein intake.

Not one of the foods you mentioned is primarily a source of protein. Do you eat other foods for protien or - I could very sceptical here. I know that there's protein present in any food, but not always high grade protein. Nuts, grains and legumes are botanically considered fruit are they not? Do you eat these foods. I consider them an essential part of a balanced vegetarian diet.

Forgive me for button-holing you but I admire people who commit to a vegan diet - too often though, vegans end up sounding kind of crazy.

Buen Camino, - Mike

I don't know what I'm going to do without my daily Greggs sausage roll. I'm pleased 'Older Guy' has some advice on bonking. Does this mean something different in the USA than in England?
P.S. The reason bread in Europe goes stale quickly is because they don't stuff it full of preservatives like in the UK or, presumably, the USA.
Now back to that post on bonking..............

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
P.S. The reason bread in Europe goes stale quickly is because they don't stuff it full of preservatives like in the UK or, presumably, the USA
Yes, and the reason why we love Spanish bread but cannot buy UK bread and have to make our own.
NB - not off topic but a pointer for those who canot eat bread in their home country. Unless a diagnosed coeliac it might be the chemical/preservatives that are the problem not the bread itself. We are careful to check if buying in supermarkets but even there most Spanish bread is traditionally made. Great, even if it does not keep well.
Bread with sardines in tomato, or bread and salami or jamon crudo. Mmmmm!

I suspect that one means 'crashed out' and the other I will refrain from trying to explain :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
ELECTROLYTES!: A Qantas cabin crew lady I used to know told me a trade secret. Crew, who get dehydrated because of the super dry environment in planes, use a non-prescription powdered electrolyte sold as a box of sachets. I can't remember the name tough. It's sold as a treatment for dehydration for diarrhoea! The trouble with Gatorade and the like is that it's loaded with sugar.

In the U.K. we use "Dioralyte" and always carry a few sachets with us. We prefer the lemon flavour and find the blackcurrant too sickly. If one is feeling washed out after a hard day's walking in the heat, a sachet used according to the instructions is almost miraculous in its effect:). In Spain a product called "SuerOral Casen" does the same job but the sachets are double dose size so not as convenient. We avoid the sports drinks because they are loaded with artificial sweeteners:eek:.

Blessings on all walkers
Tio Tel

N.B. Edited to correct spelling of Dioralyte (Wed 27th April)

Last edited:
I've been a vegetarian for 46 years. I'm interested in veganism for purely ethical reasons but have never made the jump. I prefer to use rather 'conservative' medical/scientific/nutritional info so I keep an eye on essential amino acids, for instance. In other words I keep a close eye on my protein intake.

Not one of the foods you mentioned is primarily a source of protein. Do you eat other foods for protien or - I could very sceptical here. I know that there's protein present in any food, but not always high grade protein. Nuts, grains and legumes are botanically considered fruit are they not? Do you eat these foods. I consider them an essential part of a balanced vegetarian diet.

Forgive me for button-holing you but I admire people who commit to a vegan diet - too often though, vegans end up sounding kind of crazy.

Buen Camino, - Mike
Hi Mike, great that you have been vegetarian for so long,we believe that being Vegan is the next step and being RAW Vegan is another step again! We have been 100% RAW vegan for 14 years.During that time my wife has cured herself of cancer and we have never felt more physically and mentally Fit. During the year 2013 we both ran around Australia 366 marathons in 366 days (1600km) fueled entirely on fruit and Vegetables,nuts and seeds.A world record for a couple aged 64 and 66. FMI check out our website: http://rawveganpath.com
We do not concern our selves too much with protein or even different grades of protein as clearly we are getting enough from the fruits and vegetables, especially green vegetables that we consume.We are looking forward to starting our 2nd Camino from Irun on the 11th of May.Buen Camino.Alan and Janette.

Good luck.
Thanks. Being in that "more longevity" group (I avoid the term, "older") I appreciate your input!

Thanks. Being in that "more longevity" group (I avoid the term, "older") I appreciate your input!
My advice was learned over years of long distance running (and training daily for running), long distance bicycling, and mountain climbing.

The thing that most folks don't factor in is that a Camino is more like training for a half marathon over a one month period. Most long distance runners get "over use" injuries in training for half and marathons. It is the day after day after day hard exercise that tears your body down. You need to have rest days, where you do nothing but recover.

The key to being able to keep going, is to pace yourself and recover after each day's exercise. That is best done if you keep hydrated, keep your electrolytes up, eat regularly so you don't bonk and gets lots of sleep.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.