• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nutrition

Shellseeker

Time of past OR future Camino
(2019)
Other than eating a well balanced diet are there certain nutrients important for our bodies when walking 3-4 hours a day. Should we try to eat more or less protein, carbs or fat? Anything special pre or post our daily walk? I’ve been reading on the forum that salted nuts are good to eat while walking if perspiring a lot and to hydrate frequently. Any food or drink we should avoid while walking?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I tend to sweat a lot so I usually put electrolytes in my water. Nuun is what I am currently using. It packs small and is easy to carry but it does add weight to my pack.

I wonder about eating fruit...should there be concern about the fruit being washed, or causing water borne intestinal issues? I had this problem when I went to Mexico and took me a couple weeks to get over it after I got home.

Is weight loss or weight gain a concern for pilgrims?

At home I try to eat food as unprocessed as possible - food that remembers where it came from. I do the same on the Camino and actually find it easy to do in Spain.
Most majority world inhabitants could reduce their food intake substantially and still not starve. In fact, if you walk when it’s hot you may not feel like eating much and it won’t hurt you. Walking is not an extreme sport;-)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wonder about eating fruit...should there be concern about the fruit being washed, or causing water borne intestinal issues? I had this problem when I went to Mexico and took me a couple weeks to get over it after I got home.
No problem. Other than the language Spain is not like Mexico

Consider that if you walk 25 - 30 km you will likely burn through 5,000 or more calories daily. So, foods that rapidly convert to usable energy are useful. Also, and as someone above mentioned, be sure to include foods containing potassium salts, like bananas and oranges or mixable electrolyte solutions to overcome salts lost through perspiration.

Other than that, listen to your body. Just make sure you hydrate and keep hydrating. The first signs of heat exhaustion are usually not having to urinate, and stopping of sweating. You must drink water or juices regularly, even if you do not feel thirsty.

Alcohol is not advisable until you get to your daily destination. It only adds to dehydration.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Foods that rapidly convert to usable energy would be primarily carbs? These are all helpful suggestions. Planning on taking electrolyte packets and avoiding alcohol until our day’s walking is done.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Consider that if you walk 25 - 30 km you will likely burn through 5,000 or more calories daily. So, foods that rapidly convert to usable energy are useful. Alsom, and as someone above mentioned, be sure to include foods containing potassium salts, like bananas and oranges or mixable electrolyte solutions to overcome salts lost through perspiration.

Other than that, listen to your body. Just make sure you hydrate and keep hydrating. The first signs of heat exhaustion are usually not having to urinate, and stopping of sweating. You must drink water or juices regularly, even if you do not feel thirsty.

Alcohol is not advise until you get to your daily destination. It only adds to dehydration.

Hope this helps.
Alcohol is not advise until you get to your daily destination. It only adds to dehydration.

Agree x 1,000,000,000!

Yes, regarding fruit - just use the same practices a home. In Spain, the water is good, hygiene is the same as in any other industrialized country. The issue with fruit in Mexico is that because water sources can be questionable, if the fruit is washed in plain water, it might not be ok - you have to wash in a Microdyne solution to be sure. In Spain, that is just not an issue.

For your general diet - as mentioned, while you will be walking a lot, and probably burn more calories than you burn normally, walking isn't an extreme sport, so as long as your diet is balanced, you'll be good. Salts and minerals lost from sweat are probably your biggest concern - so eat salty things and bananas and you're probably fine. And stay hydrated. People can have all kinds of issues due to deyhdration.

For weight loss or weight gain - it depends on the person. There is PLENTY of food available, so you can eat as much or as little as you choose.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I lost some weight on my caminos but actually ended up gaining it all back and more rather quickly when I came home because my hunger didn't subside from how it had been on the camino... Still packing those extra pounds, but hey, still worth it. :)

I walked the Portuguese in July last year, and boy it was hot. People kept not wanting to eat or drink because of the heat and got cramps in their muscles and getting head aches. So I agree with the electrolytes but I would also carry some dried fruits and nuts to be sure.

Tortilla and coffee for 1st breakfast, coffee and Danish for 2nd breakfast (sometimes). Lunch was invariably an Ensalada Mixta with Nestea and the evening meal was, well, the evening meal; always good fare. Beer in the evenings was a carefully planned element of a scientifically devised rehydration regime, or so my pal claimed.
Lost a few kilos, so got something right.

On my first camino, the Frances, I had no problem with dehydration, but I was significantly dehydrated on both the Aragones and the VdlP, to the point where medication was needed to deal with effects of dehydration. This in spite of the fact that I was generally not thirsty. I am planning carefully this year to get adequate water on the Madrid and the Invierno. But water sources marked on maps may be dry or not functioning, as on the Aragones. So far, the only thing that I can think of to avoid dehydration is to drink a lot of water in the morning, then load up on as much as I can comfortably carry and keep my bottles filled whenever I can. I do not use packaged electrolytes, mostly because what is available at MEC, besides being expensive and heavy to carry, are tablets sweetened with artificial sweeteners, which I dislike and would probable go thirsty rather than drink. But I do drink Aquarius when available and find it refreshing.
As for food, I do what I can for breakfast, generally instant porridge and coffee heated with my electric coil, if no bars or restaurants are open, cheese, apple and sometimes bread and carrots for lunch on the trail, and pilgrim menu for dinner. Food is heavy, so I try to plan meals around available bars and tiendas, but not to run out. This may be a challenge on the Madrid and the Invierno this year. I always lose weight on camino and generally keep it off for some time. But it will be two years since I walked when I set off in October, so I can afford to miss the occasional meal and concentrate on water.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I usually try to "listen" to my body. For some reason, in the Camino I tend to crave for apples (they are also easily storable in the backpack). One day, as a result of a miscalculation in an isolated stage, I walked 8 hours with just three apples and water, and felt good.
You know, "an apple a day..."
As regards more formal food, in my experience spaghetti is the king in communal dinners...And I am usually too tired to care.

0118623900364000q01011.jpg

Aquarius

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On my first camino, the Frances, I had no problem with dehydration, but I was significantly dehydrated on both the Aragones and the VdlP, to the point where medication was needed to deal with effects of dehydration. This in spite of the fact that I was generally not thirsty. I am planning carefully this year to get adequate water on the Madrid and the Invierno. But water sources marked on maps may be dry or not functioning, as on the Aragones. So far, the only thing that I can think of to avoid dehydration is to drink a lot of water in the morning, then load up on as much as I can comfortably carry and keep my bottles filled whenever I can. I do not use packaged electrolytes, mostly because what is available at MEC, besides being expensive and heavy to carry, are tablets sweetened with artificial sweeteners, which I dislike and would probable go thirsty rather than drink. But I do drink Aquarius when available and find it refreshing.
As for food, I do what I can for breakfast, generally instant porridge and coffee heated with my electric coil, if no bars or restaurants are open, cheese, apple and sometimes bread and carrots for lunch on the trail, and pilgrim menu for dinner. Food is heavy, so I try to plan meals around available bars and tiendas, but not to run out. This may be a challenge on the Madrid and the Invierno this year. I always lose weight on camino and generally keep it off for some time. But it will be two years since I walked when I set off in October, so I can afford to miss the occasional meal and concentrate on water.
I walked the Camino Madrid last year, there are no shops or bars between main towns, so it is essential to carry some food and water when setting out each day.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back