• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

NYT article: Swiss woman who walked 10 000 miles ...

amorfati1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2014_Caminho Portuguese (Lisboa to Santiago_4 weeks in May)
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/m...xaggeration-in-three-years.html?emc=eta1&_r=0

a fellow swiss wanderer - but beyonds limits i'd ever like to explore. still, this article had descriptions i could very well relate to:
"...But near the end of the trip she had a sort-of epiphany. “Something happened,” she said. (Articulating her reasons for pursuing her travels is not one of Marquis’s strengths.) “Over the years I’ve had this feeling again and again.” Chasing that inexplicable sensation is why she walks...."
or
"...It was nine months after re-entry into mainstream life, and she was happy to return to some physical comforts: sleeping in a bed, taking two baths a day. But she found being among people overwhelming, and her senses remained so acute that even just sitting in a cafeteria was grating. “You hear the dishwasher?” Marquis asked me, pointing toward an unseen kitchen. I shook my head. Marquis said, resigned, “There’s a radio playing back there, too.”....
you might enjoy this article as well, saluti, C

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/m...xaggeration-in-three-years.html?emc=eta1&_r=0

a fellow swiss wanderer - but beyonds limits i'd ever like to explore. still, this article had descriptions i could very well relate to:
"...But near the end of the trip she had a sort-of epiphany. “Something happened,” she said. (Articulating her reasons for pursuing her travels is not one of Marquis’s strengths.) “Over the years I’ve had this feeling again and again.” Chasing that inexplicable sensation is why she walks...."
or
"...It was nine months after re-entry into mainstream life, and she was happy to return to some physical comforts: sleeping in a bed, taking two baths a day. But she found being among people overwhelming, and her senses remained so acute that even just sitting in a cafeteria was grating. “You hear the dishwasher?” Marquis asked me, pointing toward an unseen kitchen. I shook my head. Marquis said, resigned, “There’s a radio playing back there, too.”....
Yes, I read this article. It is quite amazing. I'm glad you posted it. I am not eating grubs!! That's all there is to it. In college I saw a film in an anthropology class of a primitive tribe eating grubs that they dug up. It is an image that has stayed with me for many years. This woman is made up of something I do not have, but I loved reading about her.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I read this article. It is quite amazing. I'm glad you posted it. I am not eating grubs!! That's all there is to it. In college I saw a film in an anthropology class of a primitive tribe eating grubs that they dug up. It is an image that has stayed with me for many years. This woman is made up of something I do not have, but I loved reading about her.
Glad you enjoyed the article as well. and yes - am certainly right there with you on the 'no grubs' resolve. - that and the 'no snake blood' :)
We might all share that capacity of what she went for - but I for one decide simply not to 'go there'. I often conclude that just because something can or could be done, it doesn't follow that it should or must be done. - but i sure loved reading about her too! cheers and good weekend!

"...But near the end of the trip she had a sort-of epiphany. “Something happened,” she said. (Articulating her reasons for pursuing her travels is not one of Marquis’s strengths.) “Over the years I’ve had this feeling again and again.” Chasing that inexplicable sensation is why she walks...."C

Thanks for sharing Amorfati .......... serious commitment to the wildness lifestyle from this woman! Also gives a few ideas of treks one can go on around the world. I am bookmarking this one!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for posting this article, some parts resonated inside me, the push, the "going" to, the solitude of self in the big empty, the contentment of same in the quiet of the day.I dont think i could be as brave sometimes, but i would love to find myself walking the desert in winter going west..to follow the setting sun.

or

Amorfati1:

Thanks for sharing this article. An unusual story in this era but one that probably repeated itself many times over through ancient history as man/womankind explored this planet. Marquis has an unquenchable thirst for challenging herself.

I believe if you were hungry enough you would eat or drink anything. I really liked the umbrella method for gathering water.

Another interesting read is "A walk across Europe". The story of an Englishman who walked from Santiago to Istanbul (10,000 km's).

Ultreya,
Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.