• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

NYT article: Tips for Healthy and Sustainable Hiking

amorfati1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2014_Caminho Portuguese (Lisboa to Santiago_4 weeks in May)
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/travel/tips-for-healthy-and-sustainable-hiking.html?mabReward=CTM&moduleDetail=recommendations-1&action=click&contentCollection=Asia Pacific&region=Footer&module=WhatsNext&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&configSection=article&isLoggedIn=true&src=recg&pgtype=article

might be of interest -
buen camino!
bom caminho
bon chemin

Tips for Healthy and Sustainable Hiking

By TERENCE McGINLEYMAY 13, 2015

Photo
17QA2-master675.jpg

Rehabilitating a trail in the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire.CreditAppalachain Mountain Club
  • To many outdoor enthusiasts the mountains and forests are waking with life again and trails beckon. With the days of summer in plain sight, recalling the cold and snow of winter would be a cruel exercise. But hitting the trail often means entering a place where the effects of winter can be seen well into spring.

Alex DeLucia manages the Trails Volunteer and Leave No Trace programs for the Appalachian Mountain Club, where he has worked since 2001. The A.M.C. was founded in 1876and maintains 1,800 miles of trails in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions.

Mr. DeLucia spoke to The New York Times from the A.M.C. Highlands center at Crawford Notch, in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, about the challenges of mudseason, the thawing period when lasting snowpack and moist soil leave trails vulnerable and present unexpected obstacles to the hiker.

He cautions against the urge to walk around muddy or icy patches of trail, a process called “trail widening.” Mr. DeLucia manages projects aimed to prevent this from happening, and to rehabilitate trail that has already been widened.

“Our efforts are always to consolidate the hiker travel into a single path that is really sustainable. A hardened hiking surface, like rock structures or a wooden boardwalk,” he said.

Mr. DeLucia also shared some tips for healthy hiking in the warmer weather ahead.

Following are edited excerpts from a conversation with Mr. DeLucia.

Will a tough winter mean a longer mudseason in some places?

It typically lasts until Memorial Day. It’s been a long and trying winter. Just a little bit of a warm up we have been having is enough to excite everybody and get us out. Sometimes it feels like spring is never going to come, and then it comes awfully quick.

Is there unique preparation required for spring hiking on mountain trails?

It is so critical to get an idea of the local conditions at the time to be prepared with some kind of traction or microspikes. A trail may be clear at a lower elevation — because of deciduous trees not having leaves, yet the sun is able to get through and bake off that snow. But as you climb in elevation and you get into more conifer forest, much shadier forests, or anytime you get north-facing slopes they are going to hold onto a lot more snow than anywhere else.

Another consideration is that areas that get year-round recreation get seriously compacted snow. We call that the monorail.

The surrounding forest may be completely clear of snow later in the spring but there is still that solid strip of compacted ice. Hikers that are not prepared to stay on the trail are contributing to widening and other problems.
    What is really happening when hikers widen trails?

In mudseason these high organic soils hold moisture for a long time and they take a while to dry out. You are taking these big sloppy footsteps in the mud and breaking up and loosening that soil, and it is more prone to washing away with the snowmelt and rain events. We see a lot of soil lost in the long term, especially in high use areas. We get trails that are six, eight, 10 feet wide all of the sudden. We don’t want these big eyesores, big mud pits. Most folks go out to these areas to get the sense that they are there without anyone else around. The recreational impact steals away from that solitude.

If you are not interested in trekking through the mud and frozen pack ice, then it is best to delay that trip or find a place that is not as muddy.

How much drinking water should a hiker bring?

The recommended minimum is typically two quarts of water per person for a day trip. You may need more for hotter days as you lose water through perspiration.

Any tips for staying cool?

Wear functional clothing with vents and synthetic fibers. Wearing wet bandannas around your head and neck can help.

What is the most demanding project you’ve experienced?

The construction on the Grafton Loop Trail in western Maine. From planning to construction the new 12.9-mile trail took over five years.

Western states have bigger mountains. What do Eastern states have?

Walking through the woods and seeing remnants of stone walls and wondering how the land was once used is a fairly common experience. I also like the variety of trails, from easy woods walks to steep, challenging terrain. TERENCE McGINLEY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I arrive in Paris June 4 this year. Is anyone else planning on doing the Camino in SJPDP at that time frame? I speak no French and I'm a little worried about getting the right train lol. I have a motel room in Paris for the night because I figure I will need the rest after the long flight. I would like to at least spend a few hours in Paris since I'm there also.

Ron,
My grandaughter Beth and I will start from Pamplona on June 5th. You will most probably overtake us the 8th or 9th.
Looking forward to meeting you .
Buen Camino,
Lydia.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I arrive in Paris June 4 this year. Is anyone else planning on doing the Camino in SJPDP at that time frame? I speak no French and I'm a little worried about getting the right train lol. I have a motel room in Paris for the night because I figure I will need the rest after the long flight. I would like to at least spend a few hours in Paris since I'm there also.
welcome - and buen camino!
you need the right train at the right train station :)
there are several trainstations in paris - Gare de l'Est, Gare du Nord, etc
maybe it's Montparnasse that takes you to the start of your chemin ...
http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/france-trains/stations/paris-train-stations.htm

Thankyou I will try to figure it out lol

Ron,
My grandaughter Beth and I will start from Pamplona on June 5th. You will most probably overtake us the 8th or 9th.
Looking forward to meeting you .
Buen Camino,
Lydia.
Burn Camino enjoy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back