• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

NYT: Remains of possible medieval pilgrim shops found in Rome

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
An article in the New York Times today about excavations at the Baths of Caracalla in Rome contains this nugget:

And they unearthed the remains of a 10th-century road, and even older buildings, finds that suggest that from the sixth century A.D. through the high Middle Ages, this was a busy district. Archaeologists think the structures might have been shops serving pilgrims who stopped in the Christian sites that are believed to have sprung up in the area in that time.

Here is a gift link to read the entire article without a subscription:

Ancient Roman Road’s Beginning Will Remain a Mystery for Now

P.S. @Wendy Werneth and I were married across the street from these excavations, at Santa Maria in Tempulo, a deconsecrated church dating to the sixth century.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I
An article in the New York Times today about excavations at the Baths of Caracalla in Rome contains this nugget:

Here is a gift link to read the entire article without a subscription:

Ancient Roman Road’s Beginning Will Remain a Mystery for Now

P.S. @Wendy Werneth and I were married across the street from these excavations, at Santa Maria in Tempulo, a deconsecrated church dating to the sixth century.
I made a cursory check, to try to find the reason for a street called Appian Way here in Dublin... thanks for the link. We tread on hallowed ground, no matter how far below the surface...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back