• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

O Cebreiro albergue

Walden

Time of past OR future Camino
Does anybody know if the albergue at O' Cebreiro is open, or if it is under renovation? I'm planning a stop but am considering shortening the day and staying at Ruitelan, if it is open.

I would like to get to O' Cebreiro but think a more comfortable evening is preferred to a Spartan night on a hill top.

Any advice welcome.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have stopped twice at Ruitelan and stayed at Pequeno Potala, it's a wonderful small albergue with a very special atmosphere. Finishing there means you're fresh next morning for the climb up to O'Cebreiro and beyond..

Personally, I found O'Cebreiro to be a bit touristy and I was happy not to hang around there for longer than a beer..

Personally, I found O'Cebreiro to be a bit touristy and I was happy not to hang around there for longer than a beer..
And yet, and yet.... there you are, wandering around the little church in a touristy disinterested sort of a way, when the priest collars you and asks you (in a manner, gentle, but that brooks no refusal) to read the lesson at the impending pilgrim's mass...
then suddenly you feel part of it all and humbled - and not a little anxious as you try and recall all they taught you at school about pacing and emphasis. and pausing to look up at your audience (in this case a clutch of old villagers, but mostly a motley crew of tired but curious international pilgrims)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have stopped twice at Ruitelan and stayed at Pequeno Potala, it's a wonderful small albergue with a very special atmosphere. Finishing there means you're fresh next morning for the climb up to O'Cebreiro and beyond..

Couldn’t agree more. A stay at the Pequeno Potala is always special and Carlos is a brilliant host. The bar across the street with the Abuela sitting in front of the fire is a one off. And you don’t have to stay overnight in O’Cebreiro to appreciate its charms.

And yet, and yet.... there you are, wandering around the little church in a touristy disinterested sort of a way, when the priest collars you and asks you (in a manner, gentle, but that brooks no refusal) to read the lesson at the impending pilgrim's mass...
then suddenly you feel part of it all and humbled - and not a little anxious as you try and recall all they taught you at school about pacing and emphasis. and pausing to look up at your audience (in this case a clutch of old villagers, but mostly a motley crew of tired but curious international pilgrims)
Well, that does sound a little more memorable and worthwhile than sitting with a beer! Actually, I did spend 10 minutes sitting in the surprisingly peaceful and quiet interior of the chapel with its cool whitewashed walls after lighting a few candles...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Does anybody know if the albergue at O' Cebreiro is open, or if it is under renovation? I'm planning a stop but am considering shortening the day and staying at Ruitelan, if it is open.

I would like to get to O' Cebreiro but think a more comfortable evening is preferred to a Spartan night on a hill top.

Any advice welcome.
Hi
I do not have any information about the alberque at O Cebreiro but I have previously stayed at a lovely German ecumenical alberque at La Faba which is on the way up to O Cebreiro, I think about 5k before you reach the summit. It is well worth consideration.
.http://lafaba.weebly.com/english.html
Buen Camino
Vince

I stayed at Pequeno Potala once and would never stay there again. I had a fall in the shower room caused by the door being opened just as I stepped out of the tiny shower stall to give myself space to dry off. A male voice announced, "This is the women's shower room." Leaping back into the shower stall may not have been wise, but was a natural reflex. I ended up on the floor, tangled in a knot, trying to figure out how badly I had been injured. It took me a while to untangle myself and get up, fortunately, no worse physically for the experience. But I did not wish to repeat it and have not returned.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed at Pequeno Potala once and would never stay there again. I had a fall in the shower room caused by the door being opened just as I stepped out of the tiny shower stall to give myself space to dry off. A male voice announced, "This is the women's shower room." Leaping back into the shower stall may not have been wise, but was a natural reflex. I ended up on the floor, tangled in a knot, trying to figure out how badly I had been injured. It took me a while to untangle myself and get up, fortunately, no worse physically for the experience. But I did not wish to repeat it and have not returned.
So you slipped in the shower and this should dissuade others from experiencing the warm hospitality and special atmosphere that Luis and Carlos provide? Some of us feel that this place is very much in the true essence and spirit of the Camino and these places are getting harder to find. 17 positive gronze reviews would support this..

Whilst I stayed at "Venta Celta O Cebreiro" on 23 May 2019 rather than the albergue I felt that O Cebreiro was actually quite special and one of my favourite locations with wonderful views and not at all touristy.

Stayed for Mass there - again- and you get a pilgrim’s blessing AND a little stone with a yellow arrow. I cherish the memory and the stone! 🙂

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
as I stepped out of the tiny shower stall to give myself space to dry off
I know the feeling. Some shower stalls are just SO tiny that you never want to repeat them. I got back to the albergue at Calzadilla after spending the evening at the restaurant down the road. Grabbed my tooth brush and went into the one-and-only mixed ablutions, only to startle a late-arrival male pilgrim, who had just stepped out of the tiny shower stall to dry off. Oops, sorry!

So you slipped in the shower and this should dissuade others from experiencing the warm hospitality and special atmosphere that Luis and Carlos provide? Some of us feel that this place is very much in the true essence and spirit of the Camino and these places are getting harder to find. 17 positive gronze reviews would support this..
I have stayed at both places and both have special memories, O'Cebeiro holds a wonderful place for me as the mass at the church is were I go to remember those friends past and also remember how ill I was in 2013 and would not have made it to Santiago if not for Tomas. Ruitelan brings back memories of a wonderful night and beautiful hosts, all places bring back memories to all pilgrims who experience the "true experience" as you put it. But for me the Camino experience is in each day, each albergue the locals along the way to Santiago so I do not rely on others reviews but my own experiences good or bad all make up the journey. Oh the albergue at O'Cebeiro still follows the traditional way of letting pilgrims in by order how they travel the Camino very few do this now a days.

You are right, all reviews are subjective. Perhaps I should have worded my question differently and asked: is it fair to blame the establishment if you get a fright, panic, "leap back into the shower stall" and slip?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
To be fair, I think the concern was less about the slip in the shower and more about what caused it: the male host opening the door to the women's shower room while the room was occupied.

That happened to me also! I was the only attendee at mass and although I protested that I was English and not a Catholic, it wasn’t seen as an issue. One of my fondest memories of my first Camino.

I stayed at LaFaba in 2017 before moving on to O'Cebeiro the next night. Yes, it is definitely touristy and a bit of a shock, but it is such a quaint, unique village; I enjoyed it in spite of the bus load of tourists that were there. I did not particlarly care for the albergue with many beds crammed in together, although the price was right, and the view was beautiful!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed at LaFaba before moving on to O'Cebeiro the next night. Yes, it is definitely touristy and a bit of a shock, but it is such a quaint, unique village; I enjoyed it in spite of the bus load of tourists that were there. I did not particlarly care for the albergue with many beds crammed in together, although the price was right, and the view was beautiful!
When I first visited O Cebreiro it was very quaint but not at all touristy. Nothing remotely resembling a souvenir shop. No albergue with many beds, either. Most pilgrims slept in the thatch-roofed pallozas. The price was even more right then.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
When I was last there (2018), I had enough command of Spanish to overhear the souvenir shop keeper complaining to his buddy about the tourists. I could not tell if he counted the pilgrims as among them. I *sort of* doubt it because his main complaint was that the tourists were cheap... always looking for the biggest thing at the lowest price (which really does not sound like the weight-conscious long-distance walker).
It did put a bit of a bad taste in my mouth -- a bit of a "what harm tourism can do to a village" and a bit of a "sounds like it's time for Señor to get out of the business" combination response.
I have no idea if I would ever stay there... maybe if I were walking in the winter (but that seems unlikely at this stage of the game).

Ah, O Cebreiro: Extract from Wickedpedia.
"Good road access, excellent car and coach park. Visitor facilities include Toilets and wallet emptying. Nice views if it isn't foggy, or raining, or snowing. Access to the iconic church occasionally obstructed by grumpy pilgrims with (traditional) overstuffed rucksacks. Easier in the afternoon when they will be queuing for showers or scuttling for Albergues with a better review on Tripeadvertiser"

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
To be fair, I think the concern was less about the slip in the shower and more about what caused it: the male host opening the door to the women's shower room while the room was occupied.
Which is something that
could happen anytime in any albergue in any part of the world.🙄

Which is something that
could happen anytime in any albergue in any part of the world.🙄
It could. And I have no bias towards or against this albergue, never having stayed there.

I think at most albergues, I would expect a male host taking someone on a tour of the albergue, faced with a closed door to a women's shower room to knock before opening the door. Your expectations may be different.

It could. And I have no bias towards or against this albergue, never having stayed there.

I think at most albergues, I would expect a male host taking someone on a tour of the albergue, faced with a closed door to a women's shower room to knock before opening the door. Your expectations may be different.
I wouldn't regard that as a big deal, certainly not reason enough to slate the place. And who knows, perhaps he did knock, or thought it was unoccupied etc....

Back to the O.P.
looks like you have plenty of options, Whatever you decide,
Buen Camino!

Last edited:

€149,-
Interesting narrative. I hope to stay at Pequeno Potala week after next. I will check things out with Carlos and Luis. Knowing their orientation their only reason for going into the ladies shower facility would be to assist. I will take extra care in the men’s shower.
Happily we’re not required to wear some kind of badge to advertise our sexual orientation, so it’s not unreasonable for the poster to simply describe her host as male and react as she saw fit. If you feel a need to take extra care under such circumstances, that’s your concern - but I think your hosts might be offended by your insinuation.

I hope you have written a book because I want to read it!!

Happily we’re not required to wear some kind of badge to advertise our sexual orientation, so it’s not unreasonable for the poster to simply describe her host as male and react as she saw fit. If you feel a need to take extra care under such circumstances, that’s your concern - but I think your hosts might be offended by your insinuation.
No worries at all. As a pensioner I was simply worried about falling as I came out of the shower. I doubt that Carlos and Luis would find offence with my caution as myself and my wife have stayed there on numerous occasions and are delighted with the welcome we receive.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back