• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

O Cebreiro Hotel

Richard A Stead

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France's (2016) Portuguese 2017
Just a view on this hotel. We had a disgusting room. Damp bed linen ,worn out mattress,smelly and horrible. The bathroom appeared to be a converted cupboard and was virtually unusable. No garden or other facilities. Do not stay here and O Cebreiro is not a good place to stay full stop. Overpriced and the Disney of the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Interesting. I spent a rest day in O'Cebreiro on one of my Caminos and it turned out to be one of the best stops I had along the Camino. I stayed in a great room over the first bar you come to when you walk into town. I met some great people from Los Angeles on the first night and reconnected with some friends who I had been walking with earlier on the Camino the second night. The views from the village were fantastic because it sat on top of a mountain.

Last edited:
Interesting. I spent a rest day in O'Cebreiro on one of my Caminos and turned out to be one of the best stops on the Camino. I stayed in a great room over the first bar you come to when you walk into town. Met some great people from Los Angeles the first night and reconnected with friends I had been walking with earlier in the Camino the second night. The views from the village were fantastic because it sat on top of a mountain.

Perhaps Richard went to a different O'Ceb than we did?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just a view on this hotel. We had a disgusting room. Damp bed linen ,worn out mattress,smelly and horrible. The bathroom appeared to be a converted cupboard and was virtually unusable. No garden or other facilities. Do not stay here and O Cebreiro is not a good place to stay full stop. Overpriced and the Disney of the Camino.
Hi Richard, just for the views in the morning you have to stay there.
Wish you well, Peter.

Attachments

• 20150517_062605.jpg
    20150517_062605.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 20150517_064928.jpg
    20150517_064928.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 20150517_063838.jpg
    20150517_063838.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
Perhaps Richard went to a different O'Ceb than we did?
My wife and I stayed there. The room and bathroom were fine, and the other facilities listed on the web page (cafeteria, restaurant and shop) were operating as advertised. I don't recall a garden being listed as part of the hotel, and am bemused that it is now being criticized for not providing something it didn't suggest it had in the first place.

@Richard A Stead, I hope you have raised your concerns with the hotel or made an official complaint. Raising an issue like this on the forum where the hotel management is unlikely to know about your concerns and so unable to respond to them seems intrinsically unfair otherwise.

There is, of course, more than one hotel in O'Cebreiro. Is everyone talking about the same place. I stayed at Venta Celta and thought it poor value for money, in that my ceiling was someone else's floor, so rather noisy. None of the hotels in O'Cebreiro have to work very hard to fill the small number of rooms they have. On balance, it would be better to stay either before or after O'Cebreiro, in which case your €40 would buy you a better deal.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have a look on Gronze.com.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is, of course, more than one hotel in O'Cebreiro. Is everyone talking about the same place. I stayed at Venta Celta and thought it poor value for money, in that my ceiling was someone else's floor, so rather noisy. None of the hotels in O'Cebreiro have to work very hard to fill the small number of rooms they have. On balance, it would be better to stay either before or after O'Cebreiro, in which case your €40 would buy you a better deal.
You can also stay at the albergue at the end of O' Cebreiro . There you will pay a lot less than €40 .
Wish you well, Peter.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Which of course illustrates how everyone's experience can be different, and the difficulty of recommendations (or otherwise!) for particular places. We also stayed at Casa Rural Venta Celta and found it very pleasant, excellent value. But you're right, there are other accommodation options in the village - although there is only one called Hotel O Cebreiro.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I too have stayed in two hotels there, but I do not remember the names.
One was the hotel with a bar and restaurant near the church, and I stayed in a sidebuilding behind the church which I think was more modern than the rooms inside the hotel. Probably Hotel O'Cebreiro.
Next I slept in a hostel/hotel/? down by the road. Both Ok. Twice I have stayed in a "rooms to rent" in the house with the small foodshop near the albergue. This was OK
too. I have tried to book a room several times, but that was difficult. Luckily there was a room when I arrived. Once I went past. O'cebreiro is OK in good weather. I have stayed there when the fog was so thick that you couldn't see the next house. First time is interesting, next is noising.

Or you could stop before and stay at La Faba, the German run albergue.

Which of course illustrates how everyone's experience can be different, and the difficulty of recommendations (or otherwise!) for particular places. We also stayed at Casa Rural Venta Celta and found it very pleasant, excellent value. But you're right, there are other accommodation options in the village - although there is only one called Hotel O Cebreiro.
I have to say I enjoyed my overnight in O Cebreiro I stayed over a bar called Mason Anton and found it fine, you had to duck your head getting in to bed to avoid the beams, but that just added to the experience. I found it amusing that night coming back to the bar that was then closed and me having the key to the door to access the stairs up to my room it's not everybody that would give an Irish man the keys to a pub Lol

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have to say I enjoyed my overnight in O Cebreiro I stayed over a bar called Mason Anton and found it fine, you had to duck your head getting in to bed to avoid the beams, but that just added to the experience. I found it amusing that night coming back to the bar that was then closed and me having the key to the door to access the stairs up to my room it's not everybody that would give an Irish man the keys to a pub Lol
Thats funny................I may just try to stay there next time for the experience.....

Sad for you. O Cebreiro was one of the highlights of our Camino. Apart from our washing freezing on the line, we enjoyed the Albergues, had a great meal at a local restaurant, and slept like logs after a relatively challenging walk....Beth

In my list of accomodations I can find one hotel (O Cebreiro), two hostals (Anton, San Giraldo de Aurillac), three Casa Rural (Frade, Valiña, Venta Celta) AND the newly renovated Albergue de O Cebreiro (104 beds). My own experience is from the albergue – completely OK. O Cebreiro is a very enjoyable place!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Interesting. I spent a rest day in O'Cebreiro on one of my Caminos and it turned out to be one of the best stops I had along the Camino. I stayed in a great room over the first bar you come to when you walk into town. I met some great people from Los Angeles on the first night and reconnected with some friends who I had been walking with earlier on the Camino the second night. The views from the village were fantastic because it sat on top of a mountain.
I stayed in the same place. Really a eonderfull place!!

Texasguy

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back