• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

O Cebreiro not O'Cebreiro

Status
Not open for further replies.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You must really dislike Brierley then!!!
Oh yes! I started a thread about it to discover how it started, and he got the blame. But I also had a look at my sello from the municipal albergue in O Cebreiro (2003) and found it said "O'Cebreiro". He is also to blame for some confusion between cruceiro just out of Burguete and the White Cross, and the appearance of a "vision" of the BVM in an oak tree at Ponferrada rather than an actual figure of the BVM.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This thread made more sense, and was funnier, when the posts (beginning with my pet peeve) followed another thread that began with BROWNCOUNTYBOB's pet peeve in which he referred to O Cebreiro as O'Cebreiro.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have found that Brierley has all the accuracy and detail that one would expect of a mystic.
I don't care!😅 Brierley's maps rock! They are simple to look at for a quick overview and are still my favorite in paper form. I don't really care if they are off a kilometer "here or there" cuz I get there eventually. As for his mysticism...I pass on by.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This thread made more sense, and was funnier, when the posts (beginning with my pet peeve) followed another thread that began with BrowncountyBob's pet peeve in which he referred to O Cebreiro as O'Cebreiro.
BrowncountyBob's thread was about pilgrims blocking the trail and was not intended as being funny, not about silly grammatical spelling mistakes, that is why they were moved to their own thread.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And is it: We arrived in O Cebreiro or We arrived in Cebreiro? Tomorrow we will walk to O Cebreiro or Tomorrow we will walk to Cebreiro? 🤔🤭

€46,-
My pet peeve is the number of people who refer to O Cebreiro as O'Cebreiro :) .
Why?
I see it's wrong but is it really such a big issue?
If this is your biggest worry in life, you must be doing quite well.
I'll try to not make that mistake again, but with dyslexia (why such a hard word to spell?) I'm not making any guarantees. Especially when Brierley has the apostrophe.
Buen Camino

Perhaps it would be helpful if people understood what the O in O Cebreiro means.
It's the masculine definite article in galician/galego.
So O Cebreiro means The Cebreiro. (I don't know if Cebreiro has an English translation)
And A is the feminine definite article, as in A Coruña.

Funny I never knew it didn’t have an apostrophe!!!! Both both Frances , I passed it by… and when I type it I’ve found my lazy self writing O’Cebrio… so I’m sure to be upsetting- lol.
Both Frances I walked on to Triacastela…

Read this and immediately (and somewhat worryingly) thought of ….

O Cebreiro, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain.

sad but then …

Possibly the ones spelling it incorrectly are Irish.🤔...and you won't know who they are on the Camino.😅
Brierley's books spell it O'Cebreiro and not as you have it. It is also pronounced oh-thay-bray-air-o. And when googling your spelling, the spelling always comes up as Brierley has it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Funny I never knew it didn’t have an apostrophe!!!! Both both Frances , I passed it by… and when I type it I’ve found my lazy self writing O’Cebrio… so I’m sure to be upsetting- lol.
Both Frances I walked on to Triacastela…
When you Google, oce. . . O'C comes up. Brierley also spells it with an apostrophe. What is the reliable source for spelling it another way? I will check my photo book to see how the sign for the entrance to town has it.

When you Google, oce. . . O'C comes up. Brierley also spells it with an apostrophe. What is the reliable source for spelling it another way? I will check my photo book to see how the sign for the entrance to town has it.
You need to Google "O Cebreiro" - the proper galician spelling of the place, with a space between the O and the C.
Perhaps a Spanish site will convince you?

Screenshot_20211016-093448_Firefox.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Brierley also spells it with an apostrophe. What is the reliable source for spelling it another way?
The spelling for O Cebreiro in Brierley's guidebooks is not consistent. You can find both the spelling with an apostrophe (wrong) and without an apostrophe (correct) on the same page in some editions. Yes, there is an official spelling. The correct spelling is what Galician regional law and Spanish national law says. The name of the town is spelled O Cebreiro.

Last edited:
Brierley's books spell it O'Cebreiro and not as you have it. It is also pronounced oh-thay-bray-air-o. And when googling your spelling, the spelling always comes up as Brierley has it.
I definitely think using the apostrophe "looks" better to my American eyes. The O standing alone looks odd to me, even though it is correct.

I see it's wrong but is it really such a big issue?
If this is your biggest worry in life, you must be doing quite well.
Whether foreigners who don't speak the language get place names in foreign countries wrong or not - no, it is not a big issue at all.

There are some, though, who take an interest in the things that they notice when travelling and sometimes they try to understand why something is the way it is and not different. And sometimes it is not trivial when you look at the story behind it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Whether foreigners who don't speak the language get place names in foreign countries wrong or not - no, it is not a big issue at all.

There are some, though, who take an interest in the things that they notice when travelling and sometimes they try to understand why something is the way it is and not different. And sometimes it is not trivial when you look at the story behind it.
Oh, yes, very much agree with the sentiments. It's just I'm not a wordy person, but numbers now ...
I'm also a total sucker for information boards while I'm out walking

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My pet peeve did make a lot more sense and was funnier when it followed BROWNCOUNTYBOB's "Senda Pet Peeve" (q.v.)

No worries, your pet peeve still makes sense and I can totally relate to it. (have to admit though I have the tendency to get lost in trivia and seemingly useless bits of information) :cool:

This thread has become unnecessarily confrontational over a trivial matter. Some posts have been deleted and the thread closed.

We can all try to demonstrate the correct spelling of O Cebreiro in future, but there will be those who continue to make this mistake. And others ("albergue" comes to mind) 😳.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.