• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

O how I want to do this......

MeliCunn

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully.....soon! Yes! September 2016!!
But where do I start? I've read some of the forums and it is information overload! Monetarily, I can afford airfare and about one week away from home. I want to move slowly and enjoy myself, not race from one destination to the next. I've never backpacked anywhere, so I don't have the equipment. I need an adventure, I want to meet people, talk, eat, drink wine, and yes, walk. And I will be on my own! I need help with where to start, when to go, what to take, etc., etc. Can anyone help me? :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sarria to Santiago would be good for one week. I too had never backpacked before I did that stretch a few years ago. Pick the dates (avoid high summer - May or September are good months), book the flights and everything else will fall into place.

But where do I start? I've read some of the forums and it is information overload! Monetarily, I can afford airfare and about one week away from home. I want to move slowly and enjoy myself, not race from one destination to the next. I've never backpacked anywhere, so I don't have the equipment. I need an adventure, I want to meet people, talk, eat, drink wine, and yes, walk. And I will be on my own! I need help with where to start, when to go, what to take, etc., etc. Can anyone help me? :)
Welcome MeliCunn
You have found the correct place! Let's get an idea of what continent you are leaving from?
Then the time of year you think will work for you?
That will help you with those who have walked during the season you plan on going.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
G'day Melicunn, and welcome!

You're right about the information overload. Blisters, shin splints, which albergues to stay in and to avoid, bedbugs, takinfg off at 4am and queueing up at 1to get a bed, ltos of snoring and noisy partying at night, which expensive walking boots/ sandals/shoes to buy, and on and on. I'm a long time experienced bushwalker and I must say that when I was researching it was enough to almost scare the living daylights out of me.

Basically you need a toothbrush, a raincoat or poncho, and a couple of changes of light clothes, plus the other things you would take for a weekend away. You'll work it out. Toss it in a pack, preferably one with a waist support, strap on a comfortable pair of walking shoes and then just head off. You can spend up big if you are so inclined - I tend not to, my last three Goretex jackets for example leaked like sieves and that would have been the end of that except I picket up a virtually brand new one at St Vinnies for twenty bucks (some people never learn) and I recently picked up a very high quality pack for fifteen at a garage sale.

And you have attitude! Walk and enjoy life, just wonderful, and this is what it's about after all. Don't worry it's actually a fairly long but easy up and down walk although take your time and just enjoy if you're not used to it.

With only a week, I would suggest do it like many Spanish do in summer and start from Sarria. You should make it with ease, and you' ll meet lots of wonderful people and be able to quaff much Rioja. Don't forget to pig out on boiled octopus at the wonderful family restaurant (sort of half open at the front, just on the left as you enter the main part of Melide.

And say hullo to Susannah at Casa Susannah in the village a little before Portomarin (she's from Oz) and ask her if by chance she remembers the ancient Australian derro from the Moruya/Tuross area who trundled through couple of years back.

Go for it!

De Colores!

Bogong

Sarria to Santiago would be good for one week. I too had never backpacked before I did that stretch a few years ago. Pick the dates (avoid high summer - May or September are good months), book the flights and everything else will fall into place.
Not at all, I disagree!
To send first-timer without much/any experience (even doesn't have equipment etc.) to walk Sarria to Santiago means like drowning a person. Or at least give her completely wrong kind of experience.

Hi, Meli!
The Camino is much more complex/sophisticated thing than you might get impression from some posts or movies. I've seen you just joined yesterday. Do some search, some reading of random posts/threads and maybe after getting to know things second hand you'll be able to really ask the question you want. It's very simple, the Camino, you know, but not all that simple :)

Wish you all the best and hope you'll enjoy it!

Not at all, I disagree!
To send first-timer without much/any experience (even doesn't have equipment etc.) to walk Sarria to Santiago means like drowning a person. Or at least give her completely wrong kind of experience.

On the contrary, Sarria to Santiago is the most popular route for first-timers - thousands of them do it every year.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Welcome aboard MeliCunn!

May I first tell you that no matter what choice you make for your "first time" Im 100% you`ll have the time of your life!!! First trips of this kind are ALWAYS amazing experiences! You cannot go wrong!! Follow your heart and thats what there is to it!

Experiences may differ but considering Sarria to Santiago there are two points of view (at least for me):

1) Sarria to Santiago is a Beautiful walk! There isn't a lot of struggle and not very tough stretches at all ; Galicia is simply beautiful! Wonderful scenarios, nice people along the way.... And ... well. .. due to the "I-MUST-get-a-piece-of-paper-called-compostela-and-place-it-on-my-wall-at-home" 100 Kms to Santiago Shenanigans, it ends up being the most popular part of the Camino. And Indeed, I would say MOST first timers walk that stretch specially because of the Compostela...

2) Sarria to Santiago IS the most popular stretch of the Camino, and for that alone, it ends up being one of the worst parts for those who are walking longer stretches, or walking the "whole" thing (There isnt such a thing as the "whole thing" anyways...). There are thousands of people with their shinning new gear making all places look like a circus. A lot of groups walking together, a lot of booked places, full albergues, and people racing each other along the way....Also the weather in GAlicia as many already knows can be very very Wet! THat can be a hard experience for first timers leaving home and being wet the whole trip!

Overcrowded conditions may improve once the 300km limit is established, if this is done at all...

I know one thing for sure: All people Ive met that have walked this stretch as a first time, ended up loving it the same way! But, I`ve always have the feeling that if I had to walk only this part I`d be frustrated and disappointed.

That said, I have to agree with both John Finn and Kinky One.

Both are right on their statement....

My personal opinion: I`d do some further research and consider other stretches of the FC before making up my mind but, as I said in the beginning I think you cant go wrong on walking any part of the Camino as a first time! :)

Buen Camino!!!

Last edited:
Your Camino begins, in my opinion, when you first hear the call in your heart. I've been planning for my first since October, 24 days from leaving the US. Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome aboard MeliCunn!

May I first tell you that no matter what choice you make for your "first time" Im 100% you`ll have the time of your life!!! First trips of this kind are ALWAYS amazing experiences! You cannot go wrong!! Follow your heart and thats what there is to it!

Experiences may differ but considering Sarria to Santiago there are two points of view (at least for me):

1) Sarria to Santiago is a Beautiful walk! There isnt a lot of strugle and not very tought streatches at all ; Galicia is simply beautiful! Wonderful scenarios, nice people along the way.... And ... well. .. due to the "I-MUST-get-a-piece-of-paper-called-compostela-and-place-it-on-my-wall-at-home" 100 Kms to Santiago Shenannigans, it ends up being the most popular part of the Camino. And Indeed, I would say MOST first timers walk that stretch specially because of the Compostela...

2) Sarria to Santiago IS the most popular stretch of the Camino, and for that long, it ends up being one of the worst parts for those who are walking longer stretch, or walking the "whole" thing (There isnt such a thing as the "whole thing" anyways...). There are thousands of people with their shinning new gear making all places look like a circus. A lot of groups walking together, a lot of booked places, full albergues, and people racing each other along the way....THe weather in GAlicia as many already knows can be very very Wet! THat can be a hard experience for first timers leaving home and being wet the whole trip!

Crowd conditions may improve once the 300km limit is established, if this is done at all...

I know one thing for sure: All people Ive met that have walked this stretch as a first time, ended up loving it the same way! But, I`ve always have the feeling that if I had to walk only this part I`d be frustrated and disappointed.

That said, I have to agree with both John Finn and Kinky One.

Both are right on their statement....

My personal opinion: I`d do some further research and consider other stretches of the FC before making up my mind but, as I said in the beggining I think you cant go wrong on walking any part of the Camino as a first time! :)

Buen Camino!!!
I would make that post a "sticky post" for all first-timers that want to walk just final 100kms!!!
Excellent explication!

MeliCunn,
If you have been bitten by the Camino "bug", you will figure it all out. And yes the information here can be overwhelming.
I would suggest mid to late September, avoiding high season but still will ample choices of places to stay. If you decide on Sarria to Santiago (very doable in a week) I suggest you start Monday or Tuesday avoiding the crowds that set out on Saturday and Sunday. Just makes for a more pleasant walk with other pilgrims but not huge numbers.
And finally equipment, not sure where you are from, but check Kijiji or other online resale sites for good deals. You will get an idea of the size you need by going on backpack sites. As someone said a good waist strap is really important for support and carrying comfortably.
Just one other suggestion, check Camino Ingles. I have no personal experience but I understand it is also an appropriate distance for one week.
Buen Camino

Welcome MeliCunn
You have found the correct place! Let's get an idea of what continent you are leaving from?
Then the time of year you think will work for you?
That will help you with those who have walked during the season you plan on going.
I am coming from the US. I am free to travel from right this very moment through mid August! I appreciate any help!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is all very good information and I want to thank everyone for their input! I will continue to read posts and forums while I do more research. I am aching to take this adventure!
Thank you all!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm not sure if this helps but I am doing my first Camino this summer, starting the last week of June. After reading up a bit, and thinking about what I wanted out of the experience, what called to me was the Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia-Santiago loop. It fit with my timeframe availability and, I hope, will give me more opportunities for occasional solitude than what Sarria-Santiago would have at this time of the year. I am taking 10 days (one night in Santiago at both ends) to walk it, however it looks manageable in a week if you take the bus partway.

Since I have had knee and back issues and am immediately after meeting up with family (so can't wreck myself too much:)) I am "day packing" and using a company to transport my main bag each day. Cuts down a bit on spontaneity but it's what I'm trying out for Camino #1...already looking at the calendar to see which year I could go in the Fall instead and get strong enough to backpack it!

BTW I am flying from San Francisco, California and meeting up with family in Lisbon directly after so have a painful initial travel day/s, which also affected my route decision.

Good luck with the planning and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I am coming from the US. I am free to travel from right this very moment through mid August! I appreciate any help!!
Your time line is short, but I have found I can drive from Montana to Calgary AB Canada & the tickets are 50% less. So depending how far you are from Canada...
If it was my choice middle of September to October or What I walked April to May.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Your time line is short, but I have found I can drive from Montana to Calgary AB Canada & the tickets are 50% less. So depending how far you are from Canada...
If it was my choice middle of September to October or What I walked April to May.
I am in Kentucky, so a drive to Canada is out of the question. I may be able to plan my trip for September, I'll be in grad school, but the professors may allow me the time.

I'm not sure if this helps but I am doing my first Camino this summer, starting the last week of June. After reading up a bit, and thinking about what I wanted out of the experience, what called to me was the Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia-Santiago loop. It fit with my timeframe availability and, I hope, will give me more opportunities for occasional solitude than what Sarria-Santiago would have at this time of the year. I am taking 10 days (one night in Santiago at both ends) to walk it, however it looks manageable in a week if you take the bus partway.

Since I have had knee and back issues and am immediately after meeting up with family (so can't wreck myself too much:)) I am "day packing" and using a company to transport my main bag each day. Cuts down a bit on spontaneity but it's what I'm trying out for Camino #1...already looking at the calendar to see which year I could go in the Fall instead and get strong enough to backpack it!

BTW I am flying from San Francisco, California and meeting up with family in Lisbon directly after so have a painful initial travel day/s, which also affected my route decision.

Good luck with the planning and Buen Camino!
This is great information! I will research the Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia-Santiago loop! Thanks!

Welcome aboard MeliCunn!....
:)...Buen Camino!!!

That's great, @vlebe. Overall, I like what you've said in your post.

Here's a comment from one of those whom you didn't meet:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-different-than-the-camino.15860/#post-111475

Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That's great, @vlebe. Overall, I like what you've said in your post.

Here's a comment from one of those whom you didn't meet:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-different-than-the-camino.15860/#post-111475

Cheers
Hi there! I was just reading this old and interesting thread you have shared with me. Pretty interesting point of view ( to say the least) :eek:

But I reckon that what you said there about 01 week sometimes not being long enough for one to really feel the feelings one needs to feel in this sort of experiences are very very true!

Judging by that gentleman judgement on the Camino, its pretty clear that its definitely not for everyone...

I really enjoyed all replies on that thread... They made me think a lot... Specially on the reasons for me to be coming back once again to walk the walk...

:)

MeliCunn

Sounds like you are more than likely to fly to Madrid if your possible start points are Sarria or Finnesterre. Give yourself a day (both ways) if train or bus travel from Madrid. You can fly directly from-to Santiago /Madrid as well.

... Monetarily, I can afford airfare and about one week away from home. ...

Booking ~3 months in advance will normally get you the cheapest airfare, something to think about if money is a concern. Also remember that you need a passport if you haven't one already. If you live frugally on the camino, preparing your own meals, staying in albergues you could get by with ~20 Euro per day. How much do you spend at home per day?

... I may be able to plan my trip for September, I'll be in grad school, but the professors may allow me the time.

September might be the better option, giving you time to find a cheaper airfare, saving some money up, finding/borrowing equipment etc. As for routes: How important is it for you to reach Santiago? And how important is it for you to walk the Camino Frances? What about this route for example http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/ingles/

Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back