• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

O km stone located in SdC, Finisterre or is there one in both places?

sugargypsy

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
Planning: CP / CF or CdN 2022
Hi,

I know, my question's reaaaaally important ;), but it just popped up to my mind and couldn't find an answer when searching on the internet. Since I haven't been to SdC so far, will start walking first time 13 days from today, I don't want to wait at least another 6 or 7 weeks to find out by myself :D.

I've just read, that the 0 km stone for showing the distance to SdC is located in Finisterre. So I just wondered whether there is another stone in SdC with 0 km or is there no stone at all, because it's not needed to indicate a distance anymore?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Actually, I think @NorthernLight may be correct. There is a marker there but not actually a "0 km" marker... You'd think I'd know the text on that marker by heart by now! Gotta dig through my photos and check... :)

The one at Cape Finisterre, though, definitely has a signpost with "0.0 km" on it.

Oh, and there is a 0 km marker in Finisterre, too, though obviously signifying 0 km to the 'end of the world' rather than to Santiago.
But if you look at that picture the o km sign is on a stone with the blue-yellow-sign of the Camino?

Quote of the text written there:

Camino to Fisterra is also referred to be the extended Santiago Way from Santiago de Compostela to Cape Finisterre (Galician Fisterra).

Strictly speaking, the Camino a Fisterra is not one of the Santiago's trails because it does not aim for Santiago de Compostela., but is closely related to this pilgrimage. The Camino a Fisterra is mentioned in the 12th century chronicles, where it is described that many pilgrims moved on to Fisterra - the end of the world at that time - after arrival and a brief stay in Santiago, which can still be seen today. The connection becomes even clearer, if one goes back to the pre-Christian time of the Way of St. James: as an initiation way which had Cape Finisterre as a goal. There, the closest proximity to the Islands of the Blessed was possible, which the Celtic legend placed at that time beyond the horizon in the Atlantic, synonymous with the confrontation with death.

Muxía is another destination on the way from Santiago to the Atlantic, which is said to be the place of a Marian apparition,

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are two markers: One in "Praza Obradoiro" in Front of the Cathedral (as shown on the picture above). It is sometimes covered by the pilgrim-crowds. And another one in front of the lighthouse at Fisterra. The latter refers to the Camino de Finisterre or the "End of the World".

There are two markers: One in "Praza Obradoiro" in Front of the Cathedral (as shown on the picture above). It is sometimes covered by the pilgrim-crowds. And another one in front of the lighthouse at Fisterra. The latter refers to the Camino de Finisterre or the "End of the World".
There is also a 0 km marker in Muxia Screenshot_20190502-092002_Firefox.jpg

This has me wondering. As the direction of the Finisterre-Muxia-Finisterre is largely up to the walker do km markers go in both directions? I walked Finisterre to Muxia in 2013 and don't actually recall any km markers at all.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can perfectly do a roundtrip Finisterre - Cee - Muxia - Finisterre in either direction.

You might have noticed the old shell at the lighthouse Finisterre pointed downwards (into the sea). Very symbolic. Now / last time it is/was just to the side.

Between Muxía and Finisterre there are markers, but they do not give you any distances. When I walked it last June - with a small detour in Lires for a coffee stop - my fellow pilgrim recorded that the total distance between these two places was 31 km.

I don't recall seeing a 0 km marker in Santiago. I actually found the walk to the cathedral to not be very well marked at all, and a little confusing. I was also disappointed that there wasn't a brass band and cheering crowds as I entered. 😂😂😂

I think you have to book them to guarantee they will be there :D
Rather like the botafumeiro ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@trecile - I think you must have just missed the brass band. They're usually there. Confetti. Balloons. The whole shebang! :)

There is a 0 km marker, though, right in the middle of Praza do Obradoiro.

The only granite mojon (plinth) stating 0.0 km is at Finisterre. The “zero” distance marker at Santiago is the flat bronze plaque set directly, dead center of Plaza Obradoiro.

You can’t miss it. During the day, there will be all sorts of arriving pilgrims hanging all over it, taking selfies and group photos.

Many folks take their iconic photo with the Cathedral behind them standing just behind the zero distance marker.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

I know, my question's reaaaaally important ;), but it just popped up to my mind and couldn't find an answer when searching on the internet. Since I haven't been to SdC so far, will start walking first time 13 days from today, I don't want to wait at least another 6 or 7 weeks to find out by myself :D.

I've just read, that the 0 km stone for showing the distance to SdC is located in Finisterre. So I just wondered whether there is another stone in SdC with 0 km or is there no stone at all, because it's not needed to indicate a distance anymore?
There is for sure a stone with 0km at Finisterre and a gorgeous background of the beautiful sea behind it. I did not see the one in Santiago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't recall seeing a 0 km marker in Santiago. I actually found the walk to the cathedral to not be very well marked at all, and a little confusing. I was also disappointed that there wasn't a brass band and cheering crowds as I entered. 😂😂😂
If you had arrived later at night you would probably have found
Tuna de Derecho de Santiago playing in the Plaza Obradoro:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back