Search 69,459 Camino Questions

O Pillaban, a Rua & Hostal la Torre, Puente de Domingo Flórez

Glenshiro

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - SdC, Podiensis, Frances, Invierno 2012-23
I'm planning to walk the Invierno in June and have emailed both these properties, (two weeks ago) but no reply.

Can anyone confirm whether they are open? I have phone nos, but my spoken Spanish, especially with a Scottish accent, is rubbish. Any info gratefully received.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just did a search if their phonenumbers are connected with Whatsapp but unfortunately not.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hostal La Torre was open in August 2021... so hopefully that means they are currently open or will be open by the time you walk!

I'm planning to walk the Invierno in June and have emailed both these properties, (two weeks ago) but no reply.

Can anyone confirm whether they are open? I have phone nos, but my spoken Spanish, especially with a Scottish accent, is rubbish. Any info gratefully received.

See this recent review ( 14 / 02 ) on Gronze from someone.
So Pillaban seems to be open.

Many Albergues are closed in winter. They will open In Easter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ve got a WhatsApp contact for O Pillabán. I hope it’s up to date. I will let you know if and when I hear back.

Thanks, Sabine - although I'm embarrassed to admit I don't actually know what Whatsapp is!

BTW, not to take this too far off-thread, WhatsApp is a very easy, fast, free messaging method to communicate via wifi. It is extremely popular in Spain. Even if the pensión or hotel owner doesn’t speak English, they will definitely speak enough to understand your request for a room on a certain date. It also has the benefit of giving you a written record of what was agreed upon in case of a mix-up. Some don’t use it becuause of privacy concerns, but I am not exaggerating when I say that every one of my Spanish friends uses it as the primary method of communicating. If you’re not turned away because of privacy concerns, I would definitely suggest that you download it onto your phone and invest the time to learn how to use it.

My favorite little WhatsApp anecdote. I was in WhatsApp contact with a US pilgrim who was walking the Madrid last September. He was getting concerned because he had called Ray y Rosa to ask about spending a night in their place in Manzanares. No response after repeated phone calls. I suggested he send a WhatsApp message, and he got a response in minutes.

I’ve got a WhatsApp contact for O Pillabán. I hope it’s up to date. I will let you know if and when I hear back.

BTW, not to take this too far off-thread, WhatsApp is a very easy, fast, free messaging method to communicate via wifi. It is extremely popular in Spain. Even if the pensión or hotel owner doesn’t speak English, they will definitely speak enough to understand your request for a room on a certain date. It also has the benefit of giving you a written record of what was agreed upon in case of a mix-up. Some don’t use it becuause of privacy concerns, but I am not exaggerating when I say that every one of my Spanish friends uses it as the primary method of communicating. If you’re not turned away because of privacy concerns, I would definitely suggest that you download it onto your phone and invest the time to learn how to use it.

My favorite little WhatsApp anecdote. I was in WhatsApp contact with a US pilgrim who was walking the Madrid last September. He was getting concerned because he had called Ray y Rosa to ask about spending a night in their place in Manzanares. No response after repeated phone calls. I suggested he send a WhatsApp message, and he got a response in minutes.
Thanks for your help. However, like 20% of the UK over 55s, I don't own a Smartphone! May have to rethink this.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for your help. However, like 20% of the UK over 55s, I don't own a Smartphone! May have to rethink this.
I got a WhatsApp response from O Pillabán. They are open and happy to make a reservation. If you, or any other forum member for that matter, would like me to make a reservation for you, just PM me with the information (please don’t put it here publicly) and I will be happy to contact them. It is a great little place, and the restaurant downstairs is really top notch. I think it would even meet the very exacting culinary standards of @SabineP. :) I think you will love it!

And p.s., you may already know this but there is now also an albergue in Puente de Domingo Flórez. Gets good reviews.

Just to bring this thread up to date: with the help of a very helpful Moderator, I now have a booking at O Pillaban through WhatsApp ( +34 627 89 10 04, if anyone wants the number) and contact has been made with La Torre in Puente de Domingo Florez, although they don't take bookings this early. I have decided to join the early 21st-century and have installed WhatsApp and Google Translate on my Kindle. Some technology really does make life easier!

Thanks to all who contributed, and especially Peregrina 2000.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back