• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Obanos Albergue

Camper Annie

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking Jun 29 - Aug 18, 2018. If we get done early, we'll tour Spain by rail
Hi Everyone. We stopped at the Albergue in Obanos. It is clean, lots of beds, good hand washing clothes area, excellant shower water pressure. Only 8 Eu. 3 more for coffe and carb breakfast in morning. Only 8 people here. Too bad more pilgrims are not stopping.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Too bad more pilgrims are not stopping.
That is the fate of many "in between" albergues. Puente la Reina is on everyone's guide as an end stage. Obanos is less than an hour before it. Most pilgrims are in a rush to make Brierley happy. ;)

On the other hand, for Pilgrims it is perfect. Hospitality. The right number of pilgrims. ATM. Restaurant. Bar. Market. Bus if you want to go back to Pamplona. Church. Additionally, it is a reasonably short walk to Eunate, so after a shower and laundry, you can take a day-walk to the church. Yours is the experience that many "old timers" suggest to get away from the crowds -- avoid the guidebook destination!!:)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
there are surprisingly few pilgrims on the Road this year. June was a disaster for many albergues. At least those east of O Cebreiro...

And yet the pilgrim office statistics for those receiving Compostelas continues to rise. Partly because more people are walking Caminos other than the Camino Frances, but mostly because the proportion who choose to walk a shorter Camino from places like Sarria continues to rise.

At the start of September last year when several spots got totally full and people were leaving before 6 in a bed race. I found it easy to get a good bed in the 'in between' spots. Plus you often get the chance to eat in less busy more local bars. The main disadvantage was that I saw a lot less at night of the people I knew so I went back to staying at the usual spots more often.
I don't want the albergue owners to suffer but I hope late August when I start again is a bit quieter than September last year

Hi Everyone. We stopped at the Alburgue in Obanos. It is clean, lots of beds, good hand washing clothes area, excellant shower water pressure. Only 8 Eu. 3 more for coffe and carb breakfast in morning. Only 8 people here. Too bad more pilgrims are not stopping.
We also enjoyed this Albergue in Sept 2015. Hardly anyone staying there. Had had a very precious visit to Eunate before arriving - and this place reflected our sense of a quiet deep connection to what is

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will make a note. I leave for my 1st Camino 9/4. I enjoy the quiet more than the party. This sounds like a good place to spend the night. Thanks

there are surprisingly few pilgrims on the Road this year. June was a disaster for many albergues. At least those east of O Cebreiro...

What is it being attributed to, Rebekah? It's been a change for me to be on the Camino Portugués this year, fewer pilgrims than on the Francés!

Hi Everyone. We stopped at the Alburgue in Obanos. It is clean, lots of beds, good hand washing clothes area, excellant shower water pressure. Only 8 Eu. 3 more for coffe and carb breakfast in morning. Only 8 people here. Too bad more pilgrims are not stopping.
I’d say exactly the same thing about the Albergue at Muruzabal, one village before Obanos, where I stayed last year in May. Not busy, but new, clean, fabulous food and warm hospitality (and a pool!).
Skipping Brierley stage-ends is more or less my goal these days, and these places are why.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed overnight between Brierley stages 15 of 35 nights on the Camino Frances between May 13, 2018 and June 17, 2018. Every place I stayed appeared to be at 90% capacity or above and sometimes the first place I tried was full (completo). I like staying in the smaller towns. Don't assume you will find a bed just because you are "between" stages. If you know you will arrive later in the day, a call ahead to reserve is something to consider.

I also stayed at the albergue in Obanos in September 2017. I believe it's called Albergue Atseden. Our host was so gracious and she provided a beautifully clean accommodation with everything you need. Had a lovely evening meal at the local bar. A Camino gem!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have also stayed at that albergue in Obaños two or three times. It is very well-run with a nice little courtyard off the dorm room - always clean and very friendly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have stayed there a dozen times. Being a bit of a slow walker I am usually finished when I get to Obanos. I sleep there and then sleep at Puenta la Reina the next day - sort of a rest day. The albergue is great but perhaps for limited ablutions which can be a problem in many other albergues. The owner may sometimes seem a little aloof but he is not a bad chap - he has accommodated me in a separate snoring room many times . The same room he also makes available for families if he is not too busy. I seem to remember cooking facilities being only a microwave but there were utensils. All in all it certainly gets my nod of approval and the the owner is not greedy with his rate - he has been around for many years.:)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back