• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Objectives a Reality for Portugues?

Jacobus

Pilgrim since 2008
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés(2008,09 14)
Del Norte (2011)
Portuguese(2015,2017)
Inglés 2015
Fisterre (2015 17)
Good Morning from frosty Ottawa!

I am getting closer to deciding on which way to go this autumn. It looks like the Portuguese is winning out. At the moment I'm not sure if I can meet my objectives on a marked route.
1. to start in Lisbon
2. to pass through Fatima (or side-walk if necessary)
3. to walk on the coast after Porto
4. to go to Finisterre before ending in Santiago. (I will alter that if necessary but I would like to receive the Finisterre certificate as I have only ever taken the bus there from SdC)

It looks like I will be leaving early to mid Sept. although that is not set in stone. Depends on my weather research, flight availability etc.

If you have any advice, must sees, don't do's, etc I am happy to receive all. Looking forward to your assistance with my planning.

Jim

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lots of water will obstruct a direct route, so you pretty much have to go to Santiago first.
After looking on google earth I can see that! I have always seen Santiago as an end point. I guess thats something I will have to overcome!
Thank you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It´s possible
If you don't have a problem working with Google Hearth,I send for your mail the routes in (*.kmz)

Good Morning from frosty Ottawa!

I am getting closer to deciding on which way to go this autumn. It looks like the Portuguese is winning out. At the moment I'm not sure if I can meet my objectives on a marked route.
1. to start in Lisbon
2. to pass through Fatima (or side-walk if necessary)
3. to walk on the coast after Porto
4. to go to Finisterre before ending in Santiago. (I will alter that if necessary but I would like to receive the Finisterre certificate as I have only ever taken the bus there from SdC)

It looks like I will be leaving early to mid Sept. although that is not set in stone. Depends on my weather research, flight availability etc.

If you have any advice, must sees, don't do's, etc I am happy to receive all. Looking forward to your assistance with my planning.

Jim
Start in Lisbon- realize you have to walk about 400 miles to Santiago.
The first part between Lisbon and Porto the distances between places to sleep are longer than from Porto to Santiago.
The first part you have the chance to meet less co-fellows than on the second part.
From Santarèm you will have easy access to Fátima . To me personally Fátima was pretty disappointing and not worth visiting , but this is my opinion.
On the coastal after Porto it is pretty lonesome too. On the central route via Barcelos and Ponte de Lima you'll meet more people heading the same direction.
To Finisterre I have no experience.

Must sees... Coimbra. Beautiful university town Beautiful buildings, beautiful fado music
Porto. Stay another day to see all.
Barcelos ..stay another day and go by bus to the beautiful town of Braga with the world heritage church Bom Jesus do Monte. A must see.
Ponte de Lima, Valença do Minho with its famous fortress and the by George Eiffel built bridge over the Minho river connecting to Tui in Spain.

Lots to see, to enjoy..the Portugese people and their hospitality, food and wines.
The beautifull Galician scenery..

On this Portugese forum you'll find a lot of information. Read back for a while and your enthousiasm will show up.

peregrina2000 made a usefull document about the Lisbon to Porto leg the other day. You'll find it on this forum

Bom caminho

Last edited:

Jim

Jim,

You could always 'wing it'. Either by following the Camino Portugues from Porto to Padron and then cut west to Serra de Outes to eventually join the Camino Finistere near Mazaricos. Or by walking on back roads from Padron to Negreira and then to follow all the CF to Finisterre.

Buen Camino,

MM

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looks to me like there are several ways to walk first to Finisterre from the Caminho Portugues (without tracing the Rias Bajas coast). I think they all involve taking a turn-off in Padron, one day out of Santiago. From there, you could go more or less through Noia, then either out to the coast through Muros and up hugging the coast (following the path that one of the buses takes from Finisterre to Santiago) OR to Mazaricos up to Maronas and then figure out how to get on the Camino either in Maronas or Olveiroa. OR cut over from Padron to Negreira and then you're on the "normal" Santiago-Finisterre route without having gone into Santiago. Lots of untraveled roads but I don't know if there are off-road paths.

If it were my choice, I'd go Padron (Portugues) to Negreira (Finisterre), about 30 km, giving you only one day "off camino" and with albergues/hostales in both places.

Buen camino, Laurie

Looks to me like there are several ways to walk first to Finisterre from the Caminho Portugues (without tracing the Rias Bajas coast). I think they all involve taking a turn-off in Padron, one day out of Santiago. From there, you could go more or less through Noia, then either out to the coast through Muros and up hugging the coast (following the path that one of the buses takes from Finisterre to Santiago) OR to Mazaricos up to Maronas and then figure out how to get on the Camino either in Maronas or Olveiroa. OR cut over from Padron to Negreira and then you're on the "normal" Santiago-Finisterre route without having gone into Santiago. Lots of untraveled roads but I don't know if there are off-road paths.

If it were my choice, I'd go Padron (Portugues) to Negreira (Finisterre), about 30 km, giving you only one day "off camino" and with albergues/hostales in both places.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks. Plenty to chew on here! I like the last choice at first glance. 30 k is about my daily max. I am not averse to staying in pensions, b+b's, hotels etc so albergue's are just a preference not a need. All the better that there is one if I do the 30 k in one shot. I'm retired so I have all sorts of time options so where some are pressed for time I look for excuses to extend my Caminos thus the Finesterre thingy. Thanks again.
Jim

Start in Lisbon- realize you have to walk about 400 miles to Santiago.
The first part between Lisbon and Porto the distances between places to sleep are longer than from Porto to Santiago.
The first part you have the chance to meet less co-fellows than on the second part.
From Santarèm you will have easy access to Fátima . To me personally Fátima was pretty disappointing and not worth visiting , but this is my opinion.
On the coastal after Porto it is pretty lonesome too. On the central route via Barcelos and Ponte de Lima you'll meet more people heading the same direction.
To Finisterre I have no experience.

Must sees... Coimbra. Beautiful university town Beautiful buildings, beautiful fado music
Porto. Stay another day to see all.
Barcelos ..stay another day and go by bus to the beautiful town of Braga with the world heritage church Bom Jesus do Monte. A must see.
Ponte de Lima, Valença do Minho with its famous fortress and the by George Eiffel built bridge over the Minho river connecting to Tui in Spain.

Lots to see, to enjoy..the Portugese people and their hospitality, food and wines.
The beautifull Galician scenery..

On this Portugese forum you'll find a lot of information. Read back for a while and your enthousiasm will show up.

peregrina2000 made a usefull document about the Lisbon to Porto leg the other day. You'll find it on this forum

Bom caminho
Thank you for your response. I do not mind walking alone however I prefer the company of others after walking is finished each day. Peregrinas 2000 has responded further down and I will be sure to seek out her other posts on the CP.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks. Plenty to chew on here! I like the last choice at first glance. 30 k is about my daily max. I am not averse to staying in pensions, b+b's, hotels etc so albergue's are just a preference not a need. All the better that there is one if I do the 30 k in one shot. I'm retired so I have all sorts of time options so where some are pressed for time I look for excuses to extend my Caminos thus the Finesterre thingy. Thanks again.
Jim

Jim, I think that you are unlikely to find any accommodations at all in some of those small towns off the coast and southwest of Santiago, which is why I thought the stage from Padron to Negreira made a lot of sense. Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back