• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Obligatory I Packed Too Much Thread

HuffyCane

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2015
Ok all you vets, I'm sure you are tired of these threads by now, but I leave in 24 hours and the gitters finally got to me. Here is my final pack list. If you could scan it and tell me if I missed anything, I'd appreciate it.

I did my best to research this list here, on the Equipment Board, and anything else I could get my hands on. I'm a bit of a gear nerd and pretty obsessive about being ready for surprises.

I'm a 32 year old male with substantial backpacking experience in desert and tropical conditions. 6'1" and 210lbs. Or about 185 cm and 92kg. That's 15 stone for our UK cousins.

Ideally, no more than 17 lbs or 8 kg was the goal weight on the pack. I came in
about 15lbs or 6.8 kilos, including food, but excluding a litre of water. I leave the rest for items I pick up along the way.

Backpack: I know, typical American: too much pack. Osprey Atmos 50 AG with Rain Cover. OK, a little big for the Camino, but the new frame rides like a dream and I have shoulder problems. The difference in weight between this bag and a 38l is only a few ounces. Worth it if you've ever tried it. If you haven't, go to REI tomorrow. The ladies version is called Aura.

Scallop shell from the beach in front of my home in Florida

Bison carabiner with rubber gasket to secure both face/neck towel and 500ml water bottle to shoulder strap for on the go use. I loathe bladders and the bacteria they spawn.

Sleeping: Cocoon silk liner

Pacer poles with spare road tips

Hydration: I will purchase two 500ml bottled waters and wash/refill changing out every other day. Pricey but the system works for me and my tender belly.

Medique Medi-Lyte hydration salts (while walking). Weigh nothing. No sugar. Fends off heat stroke, cramps, while moving etc.

Nuun sugar free Hydration salts for recovery. Best thing out there I can find to replace eltrolytes without drinking the equivalent of a chocolate cake in sugar.

Footwear:
Hoka Stinson ATR ultra marathon running shoes. Built for long distances, they are like walking on pillows and weigh nothing compared to my boots.

Keen Newport H2 hiking sandals as redundant hiking shoes, as well as shower and lounging shoes. Maybe my heaviest single item, but worth it.

Spare laces
FootSmart Gel Toe caps for blisters

3x Injinji toe socks
1x Smartwool Merino toe socks
1x Smartwool hiking socks (my feet get cold at night)

Clothing:
2x Short sleeve Icebreaker featherweight sun shirts
1x Long sleeve Icebreaker mid weight for layering with rain coat if temp goes below 50/10 degrees.

1x Ex Officio convertible khaki colored nylon pants
1x prAna Zion convertible pants, black in color (!) I don't leave home without them.
1x Lined Running Shorts which can double as swimwear or something to wear while laundry going

3x Ex Officio Underwear boxer briefs anti-chafe

Recovery:
CW-X Compression pants (don't tell me this is unnecessary until you've tried them after Day 1 from SJPP)
CW-X Compression socks
Bio freeze packs for soreness relief
Kinesio Tape

Wilderness Wash soap and clothes detergent 89ml size

Rain Gear:
Westcomb Focus Rainjacket -7 oz! The best of both worlds. The most waterproof jacket I've ever tried, the lightest I can find and packs down so small when it's sunny you forget you have it. Maybe the best designed item in its class on this list. Thanks Canada!

Sierra Designs Rain pants

Outdoor Research Waterproof Baseball style Rain Hat in blaze orange in case I need visibility.

Sorry - I just can't do the poncho thing - I gotta move and breathe.

Packtowel.com travel towel Size M

Petzl e-Lite head torch. 27 lumens and only 27 grams!

Wetbag:
iPhone and Charger/earbuds
Uni adapter

Glide anti-chafing balm
Sleeping Meds
Allergy Meds
Painkillers
2x Compeed
Neutrogena Sunscreen Roll-on. Lighter than lotion, lasts longer, less greasy, doesn't count against the American limit on fluids in carry on luggage.
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Contact lens case, spare lenses, Travel size Solution
Glasses
Disposable Razor
Travel size deo, if a lady joins my pilgrim family.

Spork
Ear plugs
Nightmask
Ink pen

Very small sewing kit, mostly for blister relief of other pilgrims.

Travel size Kleenex as emergency TP

1oz tube Topical steroid for heat rash and insect bites

Silk money belt:
credencial
Passport/Global Entry ID Card
A Small World Membership Card
Credit card
Ticket to Morocco to celebrate
200 in Euro and 50 in U.S. Cash
Rock from my grandmothers gravesite/garden for Cruz de Ferro
Small flag of the Osage Nation to keep me tied to home.

3 gallon Plastic bags
2 Trash bag liner

Rosary I bought on my last pilgrimage - Mexico City. Yes, I do use it reverently out of respect for my grandparents and my Catholic upbringing.

Luxury Items:
Lush brand organic citrus soap/shampoo bar in small tin

Narayan Balm for sore shoulders

Garmin Sport Watch and heart monitor. It's hard to justify the weight but it's like a teddy bear for me. We did the Athens Marathon, Pamplona bull run, and Great Gobi Desert marathon together, amongst others.

Nemo Fillo half inflatable/half memory foam travel pillow. A good nights sleep is worth more than the weight it costs -- next to nothing and oh so comfortable. Packs down the size of a softball. Love it!

Travel size Book of Mormon w/ Old and New Testament. (Called a triple in Mormonese). I can pull this up on my phone, but I like having the actual book in my hands and it is only about 50 grams.

Purchase in Spain:
Corkscrew. I'm Mormon, but not THAT Mormon, lol. Just because the Prophet edited out 1Timothy 5, Verse 23 according to his revelation does not mean that I'm not aware of wine's role in New Testament teachings.

Foot powder

What y'all think? Too much? What would you cut?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The pack weight of 6.8kgs seems OK assuming that is the total weight and you are happy to carry it. The water will add 1kg when both bottles are full. If you have a 100gm 'make or break' level then see if there is anything you are only taking 'just in case' and leave it behind. Eg we found rehydration salts easy and cheap to buy in Spain. They have some without sugar although I have to have the type without artificial sweeteners to which I am allergic. Most other items look as though you should keep them in your packing list.
Buen Camino

You're set like a pro, buddy. Nothing serious to add or to remove, but let me be a stickler:

Leave this at home:
- Keen Newport H2 hiking sandals (Light beach-sandals are enough)
- Petzl e-Lite head torch (Use the iPhone flash-light app)
- Socks (too many on your list, 3 in total will do)

Reconsider:
- Pacer poles (being young and strong, you don't need them on the Camino)
- Corkscrew (Where you'll drink wine, they'll open the bottles for you)
- Cash, take 300 Euro instead and forget the dollars

To add:
- Pack of doggy bags (to pick-up+carry your droppings/TP to next trashcan)
- Large-size travel towel (instead of M-size, you'll be grateful!)

Btw: Your remarks and decisions on Poncho and 500ml bottled waters are commendable; your drugstore/pharmacy items- collection may be a bit on the top-side. (Plenty of pharmacies on the way in case something is needed)

But overall, you got it right, buen camino, man

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'd ditch the rain pants. A good rain jacket is all you need. If your legs get wet, so what? Spain is warm that time of year and your legs dry off quick. I walked my first Camino in July-August with no rain gear, but a lightweight jacket is helpful.
I'd also ditch the compression pants and socks. Are those something you change into at the albergue after cleaning up? I'd just put on a clean pair of shorts, clean shirt and flip-flops and take a nap for a couple of hours. Even what most consider to be the hardest day, the stretch from SJPdP to Roncesvalles, ain't that bad, especially if you have a lot of backpacking experience and are fit. I've done it twice, no sweat and did it with no prior training and in my 50's. The Camino Frances is far from being a backpacking trip in the traditional sense of the term. You really don't need to approach it as such. It's just a walk between towns in northern Spain.
cheers

You´ve forgotten the most important thing and in fact the only useful thing to carry on your Camino. It´s lightweight too. Your "CREDIT CARD" . 200€ and $50 isn´t going to get you far.

Ondo Ibili !
Yep. Credit card is on the list, just above the starter cash. It bought me out of a mafia related hostage situation on the Mongolian/Russian border once. That's my lucky card. Never go anywhere without it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'd ditch the rain pants. A good rain jacket is all you need. If your legs get wet, so what? Spain is warm that time of year and your legs dry off quick. I walked my first Camino in July-August with no rain gear, but a lightweight jacket is helpful.
I'd also ditch the compression pants and socks. Are those something you change into at the albergue after cleaning up? I'd just put on a clean pair of shorts, clean shirt and flip-flops and take a nap for a couple of hours. Even what most consider to be the hardest day, the stretch from SJPdP to Roncesvalles, ain't that bad, especially if you have a lot of backpacking experience and are fit. I've done it twice, no sweat and did it with no prior training and in my 50's. The Camino Frances is far from being a backpacking trip in the traditional sense of the term. You really don't need to approach it as such. It's just a walk between towns in northern Spain.
cheers
Hmmm ... Great points. Thanks! Gonna do that.

You're set like a pro, buddy. Nothing serious to add or to remove, but let me be a stickler:

Leave this at home:
- Keen Newport H2 hiking sandals (Light beach-sandals are enough)
- Petzl e-Lite head torch (Use the iPhone flash-light app)
- Socks (too many on your list, 3 in total will do)

Reconsider:
- Pacer poles (being young and strong, you don't need them on the Camino)
- Corkscrew (Where you'll drink wine, they'll open the bottles for you)
- Cash, take 300 Euro instead and forget the dollars

To add:
- Pack of doggy bags (to pick-up+carry your droppings/TP to next trashcan)
- Large-size travel towel (instead of M-size, you'll be grateful!)

Btw: Your remarks and decisions on Poncho and 500ml bottled waters are commendable; your drugstore/pharmacy items- collection may be a bit on the top-side. (Plenty of pharmacies on the way in case something is needed)

But overall, you got it right, buen camino, man
Dropping compression socks, but will keep the others. That's two days worth of socks (I change at the half way point.) and a warm pair to sleep in.

E-lite is the size and weight of a coin. Worth it for the red lite at night in the room and the first hour walking. It's going to be over 100/33 degrees the first week. We will be walking at 530 or earlier. We are used to that from Florida and vacations in the desert.

Corkscrew is also small knife for cutting chorizo, cheese and fruit at lunch. Plus, it's always a conversation starter on European trips. You are always bumping into people that need it.

I have a better bigger pack towel. Will switch it out. Thanks!

Do not blaspheme my Pacer Poles!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Which Garmin watch are you wearing? I am wearing the new Vivoavtive and have found it undercounts my steps by about half because with my Pacerpoles I get in 2 steps to every arm swing.
I have the large size Body Glide, have been on the VDLP since June 10 and probably can eke out another week of the stuff. Great foot lube.
3 tops and 3 bottoms, 3 sets of underwear works well. Although they will be wrecked by the end. There is a reason why people burn clothes at Finisterre.
Your first week will tell you whether the mix is right for you and as you get used to the weight you may acquire the odd little thing and not think anything of it. Which is why I have a snow globe from Mérida in my pack. I'm never anywhere near a post office to send the damn thing to Australia during opening hours.

I've got the 610 and it measures almost exact on a measured and certified course.

I must not be using the poles right!

I'm bringing the big Glide too.

Safe travels!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You may want to wear long sleeve instead. Protects better from the sun. I've never worn my short sleeve Ts.

You may want to consider an umbrella. Works well in rain and blazing sun.
An umbrella? How do you manipulate an umbrella while walking with sticks?

Dropping compression socks, but will keep the others. That's two days worth of socks (I change at the half way point.) and a warm pair to sleep in.

E-lite is the size and weight of a coin. Worth it for the red lite at night in the room and the first hour walking. It's going to be over 100/33 degrees the first week. We will be walking at 530 or earlier. We are used to that from Florida and vacations in the desert.

Corkscrew is also small knife for cutting chorizo, cheese and fruit at lunch. Plus, it's always a conversation starter on European trips. You are always bumping into people that need it.

I have a better bigger pack towel. Will switch it out. Thanks!

Do not blaspheme my Pacer Poles!
Try to find a serrated blade for your lunch bread darn tough loaves. You will ditch some of this stuff as you go, everyone finds stuff they don't use. Crocks are lighter & can hold spare foot beds.
But for the most part your set. The bibles are heavy can you get them in miniature? I totally get your feel for them but either your electronic tablet or miniatures will keep the Holy Spirit in step with you. We both know you will always have that, with or without.
Have an amazing experience
Keith

Most useful item I took on my camino during May (one of hottest on record. Temp 26-37'c) turned out to be a cheesecloth scarf.....soaking wet and perfect for keeping cool. Weather caught me out so ended up sending stuff on to santiago and buying summer vest tops. It is very surprising how little you actually need.

When I was a Scout Master a long time ago I took my troop to the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. Lite or ultra lite did not exist then. I cut back to the bare minimum and with my share of camp gear and food, my pack still weighed 70 pounds (31.75 kilograms) :eek: and we averaged over 10 miles (16 kilometers) a day for 10 days.
It looks to me like you have done your research and selected your gear accordingly, it's a good list. There are some differences from what I would carry but then everyone is different. I try to select gear that serves multiple uses that way I can carry a little less. My down fall is all the comfort\luxury stuff I add but after having lugged a 70 pound pack around what's a extra kilo on the Camino. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I was a Scout Master a long time ago I took my troop to the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. Lite or ultra lite did not exist then. I cut back to the bare minimum and with my share of camp gear and food, my pack still weighed 70 pounds (31.75 kilograms) :eek: and we averaged over 10 miles (16 kilometers) a day for 10 days.
It looks to me like you have done your research and selected your gear accordingly, it's a good list. There are some differences from what I would carry but then everyone is different. I try to select gear that serves multiple uses that way I can carry a little less. My down fall is all the comfort\luxury stuff I add but after having lugged a 70 pound pack around what's a extra kilo on the Camino. Buen Camino

Happy Trails
Humping Philmont convinced me to seek an appointment to West Point rather than enlisting in the infantry. The Dads always carried more, but I was over 50 lbs, Im sure. Beautiful country -- what I saw of it. My head was down and leaned forward under all that weight. :)

Try to find a serrated blade for your lunch bread darn tough loaves. You will ditch some of this stuff as you go, everyone finds stuff they don't use. Crocks are lighter & can hold spare foot beds.
But for the most part your set. The bibles are heavy can you get them in miniature? I totally get your feel for them but either your electronic tablet or miniatures will keep the Holy Spirit in step with you. We both know you will always have that, with or without.
Have an amazing experience
Keith
Its a mini travel bible already, but it is about twice the size of a normal mini bible you see The Gideons giving away. I'm going to leave it. I can use my phone and it has "the full quad" on it -- the remainder of the scriptures used by the LDS church members, plus there is a hymn app that works offline that would be nice to listen to in the churches.

Great call on the blade. Will do what I can to find one.

Humping Philmont convinced me to seek an appointment to West Point rather than enlisting in the infantry. The Dads always carried more, but I was over 50 lbs, Im sure. Beautiful country -- what I saw of it. My head was down and leaned forward under all that weight. :)
I can relate. I have many memories of Philmont but the one memory that stays with me was walking on the chuck right and leverite. I tried out some new boot the SEALS (Go Navy) were looking into, by the last day the bottoms my feet were killing me. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
An umbrella? How do you manipulate an umbrella while walking with sticks?

1. Most of the time open skies are on trail segments where poles are not vital (ex. roadside or open field)

2. I have an Osprey pack with "stow and go". On hot and sunny days I'll stow either the umbrella or poles depending on the situation. If the terrain is uneven, I'll have a pole in my left hand and the umbrella in my right hand. If the terrain is benign I'll stow both poles.

3. When I break camp, I store the umbrella using Osprey's tool attachment. I am able to release it on the go.

4. On cloudless days (such as today) I'll typically use the umbrella from 11-16 where there is no tree cover. I spoke with pilgrims today who suffered despite large hats. The umbrella makes a big difference.

Its a mini travel bible already, but it is about twice the size of a normal mini bible you see The Gideons giving away. I'm going to leave it. I can use my phone and it has "the full quad" on it -- the remainder of the scriptures used by the LDS church members, plus there is a hymn app that works offline that would be nice to listen to in the churches.

Great call on the blade. Will do what I can to find one.
You & I share a lot in background, you will be weeping even if you can't understand a word in church. The spirit will soften you.
Before I left the word prey vs pray was hard to loose. Silly stuff that will make you take notice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok all you vets, I'm sure you are tired of these threads by now, but I leave in 24 hours and the gitters finally got to me. Here is my final pack list. If you could scan it and tell me if I missed anything, I'd appreciate it.

I did my best to research this list here, on the Equipment Board, and anything else I could get my hands on. I'm a bit of a gear nerd and pretty obsessive about being ready for surprises.

I'm a 32 year old male with substantial backpacking experience in desert and tropical conditions. 6'1" and 210lbs. Or about 185 cm and 92kg. That's 15 stone for our UK cousins.

Ideally, no more than 17 lbs or 8 kg was the goal weight on the pack. I came in
about 15lbs or 6.8 kilos, including food, but excluding a litre of water. I leave the rest for items I pick up along the way.

Backpack: I know, typical American: too much pack. Osprey Atmos 50 AG with Rain Cover. OK, a little big for the Camino, but the new frame rides like a dream and I have shoulder problems. The difference in weight between this bag and a 38l is only a few ounces. Worth it if you've ever tried it. If you haven't, go to REI tomorrow. The ladies version is called Aura.

Scallop shell from the beach in front of my home in Florida

Bison carabiner with rubber gasket to secure both face/neck towel and 500ml water bottle to shoulder strap for on the go use. I loathe bladders and the bacteria they spawn.

Sleeping: Cocoon silk liner

Pacer poles with spare road tips

Hydration: I will purchase two 500ml bottled waters and wash/refill changing out every other day. Pricey but the system works for me and my tender belly.

Medique Medi-Lyte hydration salts (while walking). Weigh nothing. No sugar. Fends off heat stroke, cramps, while moving etc.

Nuun sugar free Hydration salts for recovery. Best thing out there I can find to replace eltrolytes without drinking the equivalent of a chocolate cake in sugar.

Footwear:
Hoka Stinson ATR ultra marathon running shoes. Built for long distances, they are like walking on pillows and weigh nothing compared to my boots.

Keen Newport H2 hiking sandals as redundant hiking shoes, as well as shower and lounging shoes. Maybe my heaviest single item, but worth it.

Spare laces
FootSmart Gel Toe caps for blisters

3x Injinji toe socks
1x Smartwool hiking socks (my feet get cold at night)

Clothing:
2x Short sleeve Icebreaker featherweight sun shirts
1x Long sleeve Icebreaker mid weight for layering with rain coat if temp goes below 50/10 degrees.

1x Ex Officio convertible khaki colored nylon pants
1x prAna Zion convertible pants, black in color (!) I don't leave home without them.
1x Lined Running Shorts which can double as swimwear or something to wear while laundry going

3x Ex Officio Underwear boxer briefs anti-chafe

Recovery:
CW-X Compression pants (don't tell me this is unnecessary until you've tried them after Day 1 from SJPP)
CW-X Compression socks
Bio freeze packs for soreness relief
Kinesio Tape

Wilderness Wash soap and clothes detergent 89ml size

Rain Gear:
Westcomb Focus Rainjacket -7 oz! The best of both worlds. The most waterproof jacket I've ever tried, the lightest I can find and packs down so small when it's sunny you forget you have it. Maybe the best designed item in its class on this list. Thanks Canada!

Sierra Designs Rain pants

Outdoor Research Waterproof Baseball style Rain Hat in blaze orange in case I need visibility.

Sorry - I just can't do the poncho thing - I gotta move and breathe.

Packtowel.com travel towel Size M

Petzl e-Lite head torch. 27 lumens and only 27 grams!

Wetbag:
iPhone and Charger/earbuds
Uni adapter

Glide anti-chafing balm
Sleeping Meds
Allergy Meds
Painkillers
2x Compeed
Neutrogena Sunscreen Roll-on. Lighter than lotion, lasts longer, less greasy, doesn't count against the American limit on fluids in carry on luggage.
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Contact lens case, spare lenses, Travel size Solution
Glasses
Disposable Razor
Travel size deo, if a lady joins my pilgrim family.

Spork
Ear plugs
Nightmask
Ink pen

Very small sewing kit, mostly for blister relief of other pilgrims.

Travel size Kleenex as emergency TP

1oz tube Topical steroid for heat rash and insect bites

Silk money belt:
credencial
Passport/Global Entry ID Card
A Small World Membership Card
Credit card
Ticket to Morocco to celebrate
200 in Euro and 50 in U.S. Cash
Rock from my grandmothers gravesite/garden for Cruz de Ferro
Small flag of the Osage Nation to keep me tied to home.

3 gallon Plastic bags
2 Trash bag liner

Rosary I bought on my last pilgrimage - Mexico City. Yes, I do use it reverently out of respect for my grandparents and my Catholic upbringing.

Luxury Items:
Lush brand organic citrus soap/shampoo bar in small tin

Narayan Balm for sore shoulders

Garmin Sport Watch and heart monitor. It's hard to justify the weight but it's like a teddy bear for me. We did the Athens Marathon, Pamplona bull run, and Great Gobi Desert marathon together, amongst others.

Nemo Fillo half inflatable/half memory foam travel pillow. A good nights sleep is worth more than the weight it costs -- next to nothing and oh so comfortable. Packs down the size of a softball. Love it!

Travel size Book of Mormon w/ Old and New Testament. (Called a triple in Mormonese). I can pull this up on my phone, but I like having the actual book in my hands and it is only about 50 grams.

Purchase in Spain:
Corkscrew. I'm Mormon, but not THAT Mormon, lol. Just because the Prophet edited out 1Timothy 5, Verse 23 according to his revelation does not mean that I'm not aware of wine's role in New Testament teachings.

Foot powder

What y'all think? Too much? What would you cut?

You are carrying a lot of junk that you do not need.

You're going to get dehydrated because you carry too much dehydration salts.

You're going to get sore because you carry too much pain placebos.

And a rock ... when there is already a surfeit of rocks in Spain.

I worked in and managed backpacking stores for many years. Whenever advising a member of a couple on pack choice, I recommended getting as small a pack as they can manage. And make sure your partner has a bigger pack. That way you will only carry what you really need and, if there is anything else you want to bring, you can always say, "Do you have room in your pack to carry this? My pack is full...."

Tea tree oil. It's a great bug repellent and all natural. I put it on around my neck, ankles, inside elbows, and backs of knees each day. I'd ditch the rain pants, detergent, and replace the sandals with lighter weight flip flops. Detergent is available anywhere there's a washing machine. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Had not followed this thread, but a man, weighing 92 kg, fitting all his "I am a large man therefor my clothes weigh more - go git them Doug, we can't get our stuff in under 11 kg ... !" in 6.5KG makes me a very very happy girl. Clearly "veterans" can still learn from others. Huffy, you are now on the road, and I wish a very Buen Camino.

27 lumens won't find you a yellow arrow in the dark.
Or much else.
50+ is more like it, with an adjustable focus if possible.
Buen Camino
Gerard

Based on walking July 3 to Aug. 11 last year:

(I hope this is in time)
To leave:
1x Smartwool hiking socks (my feet get cold at night). Wool is way too hot for the summer. I ended up buying and wearing coolmax socks. Leave it.

1x Lined Running Shorts which can double as swimwear or something to wear while laundry going Leave

3x Ex Officio Underwear boxer briefs anti-chafe Leave

Recovery:
CW-X Compression pants (don't tell me this is unnecessary until you've tried them after Day 1 from SJPP) Take
CW-X Compression socks I wore compression shorts as underwear. Two pairs, also doubled as swimwear. Wear rain pants when doing laundry.

Wilderness Wash soap and clothes detergent 89ml size . Leave. Bar soap in lighter.

Outdoor Research Waterproof Baseball style Rain Hat in blaze orange in case I need visibility. Leave, your jacket has a hood.

1x Long sleeve Icebreaker mid weight for layering with rain coat if temp goes below 50/10 degrees. It won't. Rain jacket (and a stocking hat) was the only warmth layer I needed.

1oz tube Topical steroid for heat rash and insect bites. Buy in Spain if you need it. I did not.

Garmin Sport Watch and heart monitor. It's hard to justify the weight but it's like a teddy bear for me. We did the Athens Marathon, Pamplona bull run, and Great Gobi Desert marathon together, amongst others. Leave. The Camino is all about learning to let go of things that worked well in the past, but are in the past.

Nemo Fillo half inflatable/half memory foam travel pillow. A good nights sleep is worth more than the weight it costs -- next to nothing and oh so comfortable. Packs down the size of a softball. Love it! Leave--the albuergues have pillows.

Travel size Book of Mormon w/ Old and New Testament. (Called a triple in Mormonese). I can pull this up on my phone, but I like having the actual book in my hands and it is only about 50 grams. Leave. Electrons weight almost nothing. For me, I had to get willing to cut even little stuff. Left with a 12lb pack (it gained weight due to buying footwear, socks, medicine for my feet, etc.). But I never regretted anything I left.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow give the guy some credit, This is not a competition to see who has the lightest idea, more to the point we need to be comfortable. Leave underware???? I carried 3 pair & was glad for it. Besides chafing control, stench control. I can continue but I won't.

You are carrying a lot of junk that you do not need.

You're going to get dehydrated because you carry too much dehydration salts.

You're going to get sore because you carry too much pain placebos.

And a rock ... when there is already a surfeit of rocks in Spain.
Ha! Angry people on the internet trying to get attention make me laugh.

Wow give the guy some credit, This is not a competition to see who has the lightest idea, more to the point we need to be comfortable. Leave underware???? I carried 3 pair & was glad for it. Besides chafing control, stench control. I can continue but I won't.
I don't mind, but thanks. Sometimes you need to read bad advice to know you are making the right decision.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks JoJo. Some good advice. Left some of your suggestions. Took some others. A load is about balancing weight with risk. Risk you will need it without access to it vs. the weight added. I train and hike regularly with twice this weight over 7 to 10 day periods. So having a few comforts won't kill me. I'm the type of person that would rather bring an old pair of shorts and throw them away if I'm not using them, then not pack them and have to spent $20 euro. The hydration salts are good example of that. Less than 50 grams total and it will save out of pocket expense along the way. And I'll have them when I need them, rather than searching for a 7-11 in a tiny village. We are all different. Thanks for taking time to provide insight. It's much appreciated.

Ha! Angry people on the internet trying to get attention make me laugh.

You may well be right, however, I predict that you'll have gone through your stuff at least once before you get to Burgos trying to lighten your pack.

You may well be right, however, I predict that you'll have gone through your stuff at least once before you get to Burgos trying to lighten your pack.
In Burgos I lightened my load for a second time....the really hot weather in May caught me out .... But thats life

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I spent an inordinate amount of time sorting and arranging my pack every night. Some compulsion to make sure oll was korrekt. Weird.

i took that petzel and found the beam was too weak to even cross the path for visibility in darker hours to find arrows etc
I would not take it again
it was only good for the red light in Albergue hunting or dark hallways
( no we don't need to go down that path of walking in pre dawn hours- that's not this discussion)

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.