• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Observations on the Camino

Lindsay53

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019
Portugues 2022
VDLP 2023
It's now two weeks since I completed my pilgrimage on the Via De La Plata/Sanabres/Fisterra and I am back home to 'normality' so I am posting some thoughts on the camino.

The long distances and heat in the southern sections made this a bit more challenging than my previous caminos however there are no real problems with a bit of preparation. Unfortunately some pilgrims I saw failed to do this and were unable to continue. My longest days were 36k, my shortest was 15. 30 + days were common.

Acommodation was not a problem. I booked ahead on three occasions, Salamanca, Santiago and Fisterra, only because I wanted a place with a single room and shower, not because of any bed shortages. On only one occasion do I recall an albergue being full. This was in Merida which seemed to be a finishing point for many pilgrims with only a short time to walk. All other places had room even with a larger number of pilgrims than I expected. On a couple of occasions there were 6 or less in an albergue with bunks for 30 or 40.

My favourite albergues were the Municipal in Tabara and Casa de Fonte in Cee. The facilites were basic but comfortable but it's the Hospitaleros/as that stand out. They could not do enough for the pilgrims and their kindness and enthusiasm was remarkable. The Xunta albergues in Galicia were outstanding. All recently refurbished with good facilities...except for kitchen utensils.
Albergue Torre de Sabre in Cubo de Terra del Vino also stands out.....for entirely different reasons.......

My fellow pilgrims (like me) tended to be in the older age group. Understandable as us retired people are usually the only ones who can take the time to walk a long camino in one go, although there were others in their 20s and 30s. The energy I saw in some of them was amazing. They were very inspiring.

I met great people and had a great time, cleared some things up in my mind and made some decisions for the future. The camino certainly did its bit for me and I am grateful for the opportunity I had to walk it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It's now two weeks since I completed my pilgrimage on the Via De La Plata/Sanabres/Fisterra and I am back home to 'normality' so I am posting some thoughts on the camino.

The long distances and heat in the southern sections made this a bit more challenging than my previous caminos however there are no real problems with a bit of preparation. Unfortunately some pilgrims I saw failed to do this and were unable to continue. My longest days were 36k, my shortest was 15. 30 + days were common.

Acommodation was not a problem. I booked ahead on three occasions, Salamanca, Santiago and Fisterra, only because I wanted a place with a single room and shower, not because of any bed shortages. On only one occasion do I recall an albergue being full. This was in Merida which seemed to be a finishing point for many pilgrims with only a short time to walk. All other places had room even with a larger number of pilgrims than I expected. On a couple of occasions there were 6 or less in an albergue with bunks for 30 or 40.

My favourite albergues were the Municipal in Tabara and Casa de Fonte in Cee. The facilites were basic but comfortable but it's the Hospitaleros/as that stand out. They could not do enough for the pilgrims and their kindness and enthusiasm was remarkable. The Xunta albergues in Galicia were outstanding. All recently refurbished with good facilities...except for kitchen utensils.
Albergue Torre de Sabre in Cubo de Terra del Vino also stands out.....for entirely different reasons.......

My fellow pilgrims (like me) tended to be in the older age group. Understandable as us retired people are usually the only ones who can take the time to walk a long camino in one go, although there were others in their 20s and 30s. The energy I saw in some of them was amazing. They were very inspiring.

I met great people and had a great time, cleared some things up in my mind and made some decisions for the future. The camino certainly did its bit for me and I am grateful for the opportunity I had to walk it.
We are on the camino now at the forgettable village, and rather questionable hygiene in the bar, of Valverde de Valdelacasa after taking the Via Verde through Hervas to Puerto de Bejar. This rail trail is easy going and beats walking on the road with traffic. We also noted those who left the starting blocks at high speed only to see them later with injuries and an exit home. This camino needs time to adjust the body. The first two weeks were very hot. Adjust your plan to fit in with how the body feels. You will still get there in better shape. We continue on our way to Oviedo.....

It is amazing how when you walk brings about not just the obvious regarding weather and often numbers etc but little things too. When I walked the VDLP two years ago I was 67. I was the only person my age in the albergues. I walked to Astorga and then Santiago because I was told on the Sanabras many albergues would be closed. Almost every pilgrim I saw was young and the rest were in their 40-50s. But then again I didn't see too many starting in mid October. Yes it was still really hot for the first 7 days or so, even then.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back