• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Observations two years on

long trails

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012
Hello from Pamplona. It's freezing cold out and most of my clothes are wet from today's walk. I will have to go out for dinner in shorts and flip flops!

I started from St Jean but went the Valcarlos route as I'd done the Napolean before. It was not as tough but the climbs towards the end were pretty full on. There was snow on the Napolean apparently.

It was a hot day but the temperature has barely been above 10C since. Day 2 and 3 (today) were very wet. The river totally flooded today from Zubiri to Pamplona and we all had to march along the main road for most of it. I've never seen such an angry river! Back on the trail and I was splashing through big puddles and mud.

Just a few other random observations compared to two years ago.

Seems like many more pilgrims from Asia. There is a huge group of more than 30 Koreans. They were quite a sight all decked out in their matching orange ponchos as they splashed along the road today.

No bed rush as I experienced in May/June 2016 but it is early in the season of course. They had about 250 pilgrims in the St Jean office on the 5th April. Most of the albergues and gites were complet by 5pm.

I appear to be spending more. Albergues seemed to have increased their prices quite a bit and pilgrim menus are more expensive. Drinks in the bars seem more too but inflation is everywhere in the world!

More later. I must head out into the cold!

Hoping the weather improves. Forgot what it's like to have dry boots to put on in the morning.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ll be walking next March and April, so I’m devouring the posts of those walking now. I hope the weather gets sunnier for you, or at least drier. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello from Pamplona. It's freezing cold out and most of my clothes are wet from today's walk. I will have to go out for dinner in shorts and flip flops!

I started from St Jean but went the Valcarlos route as I'd done the Napolean before. It was not as tough but the climbs towards the end were pretty full on. There was snow on the Napolean apparently.

It was a hot day but the temperature has barely been above 10C since. Day 2 and 3 (today) were very wet. The river totally flooded today from Zubiri to Pamplona and we all had to march along the main road for most of it. I've never seen such an angry river! Back on the trail and I was splashing through big puddles and mud.

Just a few other random observations compared to two years ago.

Seems like many more pilgrims from Asia. There is a huge group of more than 30 Koreans. They were quite a sight all decked out in their matching orange ponchos as they splashed along the road today.

No bed rush as I experienced in May/June 2016 but it is early in the season of course. They had about 250 pilgrims in the St Jean office on the 5th April. Most of the albergues and gites were complet by 5pm.

I appear to be spending more. Albergues seemed to have increased their prices quite a bit and pilgrim menus are more expensive. Drinks in the bars seem more too but inflation is everywhere in the world!

More later. I must head out into the cold!

Hoping the weather improves. Forgot what it's like to have dry boots to put on in the morning.
I guess its all changing ,sadly but we will still walk this sacred road for all the reasons we love it .I will return in September my fave time of year and enjoy the experience whatever it brings.

Will be starting in 29 days. Here in Canada, Spring has not really arrived yet either. Last week, we had snow. This week it will be hovering just above 0C till Friday when we will begin to bask in 10C weather, which is most welcome, even when raining.
Sounds warmer where you are than me! We’ve dipped to -25C every night this week and today is the first day in a long time we’ve warmer to over 0C.With the amount of snow we still have, it’s going to take a few weeks of warm to melt this away!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Weather is looking better today. I appreciate that 10C would be a mild spring in some places.

Meant to mention that people are not venturing out so early. There are still plenty of pilgrims around the albergues way after 7am.

Of course in May/June it is getting light much earlier and folk are keen to avoid the heat of the day. No such issue in April! I'd say this is a good thing about starting in April.

Hello Pilgrim

Do hope that you got a great meal in Pamplona, a good night's sleep and that those clothes are finally dry.
Tell me, did your backpack's rain-cover leak or was the rain so torrential that it tore though everything ?
Mike

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back