• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Obtain Compostela

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoWalk

Time of past OR future Camino
May 4, 2017
We (4 of us) are planning to do the Camino Frances this May from St. Jean pied de Port to Sarria then take the bus from Sarria to Compostela. Then walk again to Muxia since we did the walk from Sarria to Compostela 3 years ago. I read the information notice I need to have two stamps each day from Sarria Compostela. Is it true? Is I skip Sarria to Compostela but already walk from St. Jean to Sarria, I still not get the Compostela? I have another question. If I walk from Compostela to Finesterre and Muxia, does it has a different credential than the normal one for the Camino Frances. Thank you so much for the information.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We (4 of us) are planning to do the Camino Frances this May from St. Jean pied de Port to Sarria then take the bus from Sarria to Compostela. Then walk again to Muxia since we did the walk from Sarria to Compostela 3 years ago. I read the information notice I need to have two stamps each day from Sarria Compostela. Is it true? Is I skip Sarria to Compostela but already walk from St. Jean to Sarria, I still not get the Compostela? I have another question. If I walk from Compostela to Finesterre and Muxia, does it has a different credential than the normal one for the Camino Frances. Thank you so much for the information.
falcon already answered Sarria to Santiago part of your question.
If you walk Santiago to Fisterra/Muxia or Muxia/Fisterra you can obtain Fisterrana and/or Muxiana but you also have to get a sello in Lires approx. midway between the two.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You need to walk the last 100km to the tomb of St. James. Fisterra to Muxia to Santiago qualifies.
Even though if we walk almost 700 km from St. Jean to Sarria still not qualify to get the Compostela? Thank you for your response.

If you walk Santiago to Fisterra/Muxia or Muxia/Fisterra you can obtain Fisterrana and/or Muxiana but you also have to get a sello in Lires approx. midway between the two.
Thank you. I will get a sello in Lires.

Even though if we walk almost 700 km from St. Jean to Sarria still not qualify to get the Compostela? Thank you for your response.

No, that wouldn't qualify for a compostela. The compostela is only given for a pilgrimage to the location of the tomb of St.James, which is the cathedral in Santiago. Your starting point and the choosen way don't matter at all, if it's only 100kms away at least. But any other way which doesn't end at the tomb doesn't qualify. That's how it is...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But you say that you already walked Sarria to Santiago 3 years ago. So you got a Compostela for that, right?

If you did not obtain the compostela after your walk from Sarria, I think you can get it even if you have split your walk by a couple years. You might need to use the same credencial as for the previous walk. Others may know more positively. If you did get the compostela, and want a new one without walking the last 100 k, the rule is you cannot get it without walking the last 100 k. You could however throw yourself on the mercy of the volunteer at the office if you're willing to wait in line to check. You might get one and you might not.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It doesn't matter. Walk the last 100km to the crypt on any of the five routes into Santiago.

It does not have to be on any of the recognised routes, though for convenience most people do use one of them. Provided you can show evidence of your route in the form of two sellos per day in your credencial for that final 100km stage you can walk from anywhere, by any route you choose, provided you end up in Santiago.

Santiago to Fisterra is about 75km. Is it allowed to walk from somewhere to Fisterra and then 'backwards' to Santiago, and make the 100km? I know the way markers would be in the opposite direction, so a map would be needed, but is it allowed for Compostela purposes?

I have never been to Fisterra so it's just a notion.

Santiago to Fisterra is about 75km. Is it allowed to walk from somewhere to Fisterra and then 'backwards' to Santiago, and make the 100km? I know the way markers would be in the opposite direction, so a map would be needed, but is it allowed for Compostela purposes?

The pilgrim office has published the rules to obtain a compostela, and there is no specific route mentioned. So one would have to assume that the route doesn't matter at all. You can start at Fisterra or any other place and take any route you want. As long as you provide 2 stamps per day, walk 100kms and end up at the cathedral (to be precise: the pilgrim's office ;)), you'll get the compostela.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In 2001, I walked Roncesvalles to about 150kms away from Santiago then took bus to Santiago ... time constraints. I did not know rules. Suffice it to say: No Compostela. I argued, was accussed of being an attorney. I argued, that I was following Spanish guidebook that made no mention of last 100 stipulation. I argued, I was due back home September 8, 2001. I argued, until, P.O. volunteer showed be back of Pilgrim passport where it clearly stated in Spanish 100km rule. They gave me a nice try certificate. I changed travel plans, spent a night in Santiago, took train to Sarria, walked into Santiago three days later on Sept 9, 2001, and received my Compostela. On, September 11, 2001, my mom and I were standing on train platform in Santiago, while simultaneously World Trade Towers were imploding back home: NYC. I was residing there at that time. Last 100kms and Compostela were a Godsend for me. You don't know what wonders are for you in those last 100kms, Sarria-to-Santiago was mine. Any route is fine. Last 100kms mandatory.
Buen camino.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter. Walk the last 100km to the crypt on any of the five routes into Santiago.

I've lost track of the many times I've said this, you walk the first 700 km for yourself, and the last 100 km for you and the church. ;)
Or, forget about the Compostela and do it all for yourself.

Buen Viaje.

€60,-
The non-Compostela is a nice piece of paper that pretty much says, thanks for trying, hope you enjoyed yourself. In a few weeks, I'll unearth, take pic, and post it on forum.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The non-Compestela is a nice piece of paper that pretty much says, thanks for trying, hope you enjoyed yourself. In a few weeks, I'll unearth, take pic, and post it on forum.
That's so cute. I just loved Spain even more when I read that! I want one.

There is a Bar "As Eiras" right on the Camino. The only place for sellos and a chance to enjoy a coffee and some bites
before walking on

To avoid any problems or disappointments when arriving at the Pilgrim Office, the Compostela is given to those who declare to the person behind the desk that they have walked for religious or spiritual reasons. If you have not walked for those reasons you are given a distance certificate.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To avoid any problems or disappointments when arriving at the Pilgrim Office, the Compostela is given to those who declare to the person behind the desk that they have walked for religious or spiritual reasons. If you have not walked for those reasons you are given a distance certificate.
Interesting. Do you have to specify which?

Its a long time ago but I seem to remember you can tick more than one box. I think it was religious, spiritual, sportive and something. @t2andreo has worked in the office - what says he?

Interestingly the website does talk about routes but then doesn't say which ones - it says 'the award of the “Compostela” is limited to those who come to the tomb of the Apostle for religious and/or spiritual reasons, and following the routes of the Way of St. James on foot, by bicycle or on horseback'. I guess if you come by a wildly unconventional route that the officer doesn't know, be prepared to show it on a map.

It also says that you must 'Make the pilgrimage for religious or spiritual reasons, or at least an attitude of search'.

Last edited:

Actually, if you aren't walking for religious/spiritual reasons they give you a "certificate of welcome". If you want a distance certificate there is a 3€ charge for that.

http://caminoways.com/walking-the-camino-passports-certificates-and-compostelas

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This "welcome certificate" looks good and interesting. Next time I will ask for it, instead of the Compostela.
I just will need to be careful to declare that I have not walked for spiritual or religious reasons.;)

I have a tough time understanding why anyone would walk the Camino for a non-spiritual reason.
Are you being paid to do it? Is it a dare, or a lost wager?
Tourism? There are other, non-blister related ways to spend 35 - 40 days.
Adventure? A 500 mile adventure stroll is at its core a spiritual journey. And I think it is impossible to not spend a mile or two in contemplation of something metaphysical.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have a tough time understanding why anyone would walk the Camino for a non-spiritual reason.
Adventure? A 500 mile adventure stroll is at its core a spiritual journey. And I think it is impossible to not spend a mile or two in contemplation of something metaphysical.
Some people just do it to sort out their head.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Seriously? You've never hear of people hiking long distances for fun? The AT, The PCT, etc. I spent almost a month in Nepal trekking through the Himalayas for fun. We love to hike. Never got a blister. Blisters are not a fact. Just a thing that happens to some people. It is very easy to not consider anything metaphysical (whatever that's supposed to be) if you are an atheist.
We're walking because we love to hike long distances and the fact that this is a historical route is kinda cool. I have no spiritual reason for walking the Camino nor do I need to change anything in my life.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think we have seen a lot of food fight type comments over the past few weeks. I'm not exactly sure why this is happening. Usually, right at the start of prime walking season, people are overcome with the giddiness and delight of imagining what this thing called the Camino will be like for them. The nastiness and aggression seem to fade. This year feels very different.

We got a couple of reports on this thread, which I hadn't read till now. I was going to go back and start editing out the personal barbs and unnecessarily rude snaps, but then thought I would just use it to ask you all to try to avoid falling into this downward spiral. It starts out innocently, someone disagrees and responds, and then the misunderstandings flow, then the insults start. What's the point? Personal disagreements can be handled privately, use the PM function.

Since the OP has gotten answers to all questions, I think it's time to close the thread.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back