• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Obtain the QR-CODE before you arrive in Santiago.

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Time of past OR future Camino
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
You don't have to have studied to realize that it can get very busy in the upcoming months at the Pilgrim Office. Over the past few weeks I have helped many people to fill in the digital form to obtain the QR code that they need to obtain the ticket. My advice is simple , fill in the form the day before and safe the QR code then you can get your ticket right on arrival. Much easier than standing outside the gate together.

Go to the Pilgrims office website,
www.oficinadelperegrino.com

Pres , Register and than Single.
Choose a language
Fill in the form
And final pres create a group.
And when you filled it in correctly you will get your QR-CODE.

Good luck and Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Forgive my ignorance, but to what "ticket" are you referring? My last visit to the Pilgrim's Office was six years ago, and I don't recall tickets or QR codes back then.

EDIT --- Never mind. I found the threads describing the registration process for Compostella, etc. It actually makes a lot of sense from an efficiency point of view. Although, it makes me wonder if I'll need a QR-code to get through the pearly gates . . .

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance, but to what "ticket" are you referring? My last visit to the Pilgrim's Office was six years ago, and I don't recall tickets or QR codes back then.

EDIT --- Never mind. I found the threads describing the registration process for Compostella, etc. It actually makes a lot of sense from an efficiency point of view. Although, it makes me wonder if I'll need a QR-code to get through the pearly gates . . .
It's a new system since the second half of 2019. When you arrive at the Pilgrims Office you get a numbered ticket with your place on the queue. But in order to receive the ticket you need to pre-register your information. This saves time, and paper.
The ticket has a QR code on it that you can use to monitor your place in the queue.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You don't have to have studied to realize that it can get very busy in the upcoming months at the Pilgrim Office. Over the past few weeks I have helped many people to fill in the digital form to obtain the QR code that they need to obtain the ticket. My advice is simple , fill in the form the day before and safe the QR code then you can get your ticket right on arrival. Much easier than standing outside the gate together.

Choose a language
Fill in the form

the registration calls for 'occupation? '...not familiar with the categories listed. Could you provide these in English, the site does not translate that part. Thank you :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Here's a list of the professions.
I'm not sure about a couple of the translations

Agricultores - Farmers
Amas de casa - Housewives
Artistas - Artists
Deportistas - Athletes
Directivos - Managers
Empleados - Employees
Estudiantes - Students
Funcionarios - Officials
Jubilados - Retired
Liberales -??
Marinos - Sailor?
Obreros - Workers
Parados - Unemployed
Religiosos - Religious
Sacerdotes - Priests
Tecnicos - Technicians

Liberales -??
Liberal professions.

Differently defined in various countries. Examples are notaries, dentists. Could also mean self-employed. Impossible for a foreign pilgrim to know what it is supposed to mean in the context of the statistics of the Oficina del Peregrino. About 50% of pilgrims, namely those from Spain plus some other Spanish-speakers, will understand the questionnaire provided they have picked Spanish as language for filling it in, the rest will struggle with this mumbo jumbo in German, English, French and Italian which will at least keep volunteers busy who can assist arriving pilgrims.

Last year, I wrote twice to the Oficina to point this out to them, even with correct suggestions in several languages for the text on the worst buttons; judging by one reply, I think I even managed to reach the higher echelons. No change and no corrections have been made to the non-Spanish versions of the webpage/online form since then.

Last edited:
Liberal professions.

Differently defined in various countries. Examples are notaries, dentists. Could also mean self-employed. Impossible for a foreign pilgrim to know what it is supposed to mean in the context of the statistics of the Oficina del Peregrino. About 50% of pilgrims, namely those from Spain plus some other Spanish-speakers, will understand the questionnaire provided they have picked Spanish as language for filling it in, the rest will struggle with this mumbo jumbo in German, English, French and Italian which will at least keep volunteers busy who can assist arriving pilgrims.

Last year, I wrote twice to the Oficina to point this out to them, even with correct suggestions in several languages for the text on the worst buttons; judging by one reply, I think I even managed to reach the higher echelons. No change and no corrections have been made to the non-Spanish versions of the webpage/online form since then.
It's crazy that they don't fix this. They are using a lot more of volunteers' time than necessary, for what I imagine is an easy fix.

I'm surprised that there was no médicos category.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am medicos...lol So I agree
That's funny since it was you who asked for a translation of the job categories.

The category of liberales is not clearly defined by the Oficina (neither is technicos, btw, and one wonders what the purpose of all this is, anyway) but doctors, pharmacists, architects, and lawyers typically belong to the category of liberal professions. On Spanish websites that provide an explanation I also see photographers, translators, psychologists and journalists included in this category, basically many professions that require study/training as a qualification and lead to a job as self-employed / independent.

Last edited:
We had difficulty actually getting the thing to load on our phones, never mind complete anything. So we arrived two days on the Portuguese. Hardly any queue ,we quickly filled in the slip of paper handed to us at the desk and were in and out with our Compostela in no time.
If you dont use à Smart phone, what then?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hardly any queue ,we quickly filled in the slip of paper handed to us at the desk and were in and out with our Compostela in no time.
And this beneficial situation was perhaps due to the fact that so many others did fill in the form online and the queues are managed more efficiently with the new system ... ? A win-win situation as they say. 😇

We had difficulty actually getting the thing to load on our phones, never mind complete anything. So we arrived two days on the Portuguese. Hardly any queue ,we quickly filled in the slip of paper handed to us at the desk and were in and out with our Compostela in no time.
When you don't use a smartphone you can ask for a form and fill it in by hand.🙏🏻

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Choose a language
Fill in the form

Peter - I understand that riding an E-bike disqualifies a person from receiving a Compostela. Is that your understanding? Thank you and Buen Camino

Peter - I understand that riding an E-bike disqualifies a person from receiving a Compostela. Is that your understanding? Thank you and Buen Camino
this is what the church says,

The Chapter of the Metropolitan Church of Santiago continued to issue the certificate and in modern times the award of the “Compostela” is limited to those who come to the tomb of the Apostle for religious and/or spiritual reasons, and following the routes of the Way of St. James on foot, by bicycle or on horseback. They are required to have travelled at least the last 100 kilometres on foot or horseback or the last 200 by bicycle, which is demonstrated by the “Credencial del Peregrino” duly stamped along the route travelled. Therefore other forms of travel to access the Compostela are excluded, except in the case of the disabled.

I was also lucky after arriving from the Portuguese on Tuesday. I went to the office just before 7 thinking I’d get my QR code and be ready for a hopefully early appointment the following morning but was given a number and hurried through to the counters where I was given the paper form and was out with my Compostela in a minute. I wondered if the QR machine was out of order.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was also lucky after arriving from the Portuguese on Tuesday. I went to the office just before 7 thinking I’d get my QR code and be ready for a hopefully early appointment the following morning but was given a number and hurried through to the counters where I was given the paper form and was out with my Compostela in a minute. I wondered if the QR machine was out of order.
You where there just before closing.
It's simpler and quicker in this case to give you a paper form.
The QR-CODE machine is working well.

. I went to the office just before 7 thinking I’d get my QR code and be ready for a hopefully early appointment the following morning
I don't believe that you can get a number for the next morning. There is a predetermined number of tickets they give out each day. Some days they may not go through all of them.
If you arrive after the numbers run out you need to return in the morning.

this is what the church says,

The Chapter of the Metropolitan Church of Santiago continued to issue the certificate and in modern times the award of the “Compostela” is limited to those who come to the tomb of the Apostle for religious and/or spiritual reasons, and following the routes of the Way of St. James on foot, by bicycle or on horseback. They are required to have travelled at least the last 100 kilometres on foot or horseback or the last 200 by bicycle, which is demonstrated by the “Credencial del Peregrino” duly stamped along the route travelled. Therefore other forms of travel to access the Compostela are excluded, except in the case of the disabled.
I guess one would need the "by bicycle" part clarified then, just to be sure. Thank you for your help, Peter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You where there just before closing.
It's simpler and quicker in this case to give you a paper form.
The QR-CODE machine is working well.
I was blessed then as I wasn’t sure I’d have time for the whole process in the morning. And I’d been lucky at the 12 o’clock mass too when I happened to be in a great spot for the swinging of the Botafumeiro.

I guess one would need the "by bicycle" part clarified then, just to be sure. Thank you for your help, Peter.
I think that what I had read on the forum when this came up previously was that e-bikes that assisted the pedalling effort by pilgrims were included as "bicycle" but e-bikes that replaced it, where pilgrims really didn't have to pedal, would not be included.

But I am at least a second hand source, so I would confirm that with something closer to official, perhaps someone who has been working as a volunteer when the question came up.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think that what I had read on the forum when this came up previously was that e-bikes that assisted the pedalling effort by pilgrims were included as "bicycle" but e-bikes that replaced it, where pilgrims really didn't have to pedal, would not be included.

But I am at least a second hand source, so I would confirm that with something closer to official, perhaps someone who has been working as a volunteer when the question came up.
I believe that's correct. @t2andreo has posted about this is the past. Maybe he will chime in here.

I remember this too. The explanation given referred to the situation in August 2019. However, a quick Google News search brings up an article in La Voz de Galicia, dated 16 September 2019, who write that the only exception is made for pilgrims with a disability. Quote (translated): The Pilgrim's Office clarified yesterday that the electric bike is already among the means of transport suitable for obtaining the Compostela. Although only as an exception for people who have some kind of disability.

Of course now one can start to debate what constitutes a disability ... 😐

Agricultores - Farmers
Artistas - Artists
Deportistas - Athletes
Directivos - Managers
Empleados - Employees
Estudiantes - Students
Funcionarios - Officials
Jubilados - Retired
Liberales -??
Marinos - Sailor?
Obreros - Workers
Parados - Unemployed
Religiosos - Religious
Sacerdotes - Priests
Tecnicos - Technicians
I would think "liberales" means self employed or unemployed. "Marinos" should be Merchant Marine. Seafarer.

Agricultores - Farmers
Artistas - Artists
Deportistas - Athletes
Directivos - Managers
Empleados - Employees
Estudiantes - Students
Funcionarios - Officials
Jubilados - Retired
Liberales -??
Marinos - Sailor?
Obreros - Workers
Parados - Unemployed
Religiosos - Religious
Sacerdotes - Priests
Tecnicos - Technicians
Liberales. From what I read I understand it as self employed/unemployed. Marinos. Merchant Marine. Seafarers.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And the term for winebibbers? peregrino

Thank you, David. The bikes used would be pedal bikes with E assist. I appreciate your input and will see if I can get another source's thoughts on the matter as you suggest. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Could someone please post a direct link to the registration form, for the life of me I cannot find it anywhere 🙄

See post 1 of this tread 🙏🏻
The link works fine, but unfortunately, the system does not allow one to reserve a time to get a compostela! All the QR code does is get you into the building a little sooner. It provides your information to the volunteer who can then process your compostela faster. But the overall process before getting to the actual counter needs shoring up! I have posted that elsewhere!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The link works fine, but unfortunately, the system does not allow one to reserve a time to get a compostela! All the QR code does is get you into the building a little sooner. It provides your information to the volunteer who can then process your compostela faster. But the overall process before getting to the actual counter needs shoring up! I have posted that elsewhere!
Yes , I know that.

Choose a language
Fill in the form

Help
I have filled in the form several times and did ged the qr code. But i can not save it!!
I only got a message with a alphanumeric code.
What to do?

Help
I have filled in the form several times and did ged the qr code. But i can not save it!!
What to do?
Write down the alphanumeric code - perhaps on your credential.
Or have your tried taking a screenshot of the QR code?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Help
What to do?
When you have your QR-CODE , hold your finger on it and than you can download it.

I did it yust now on my phone,
download.png
This is my QR-CODE.
It's down loaded to my photo's .

For what it is worth and in my humble opinion, people stress unnecessarily when they believe or are told that they must receive and save a QR code after registration.

FWIW again: When registering my personal data for a Compostela - and I've done this a few times - I have never and under no circumstances received a QR code in my email or as a text message. I always received only the alphanumeric code.

I have seen an associated QR code on the screen each time after submitting my data, and I know of course how to save it to my photos or to my files or how do a screenshot. However, there are no instructions on the website to do so.

For what it is worth again and as far as I can tell: The system as it is currently designed does not send a QR code to the user and it does not expect the user to save this QR code. There is nobody at the Pilgrim's Office who scans this QR code. The alphanumeric code (consisting of letters and numbers) appears to be all that is needed. It is typed into the Pilgrim Office's computers and retrieves the pilgrim's data.

For what it is worth and in my humble opinion, people stress unnecessarily when they believe or are told that they must receive and save a QR code after registration.

FWIW again: When registering my personal data for a Compostela - and I've done this a few times - I have never and under no circumstances received a QR code in my email or as a text message. I always received only the alphanumeric code.

I have seen an associated QR code on the screen each time after submitting my data, and I know of course how to save it to my photos or to my files or how do a screenshot. However, there are no instructions on the website to do so.

For what it is worth again and as far as I can tell: The system as it is currently designed does not send a QR code to the user and it does not expect the user to save this QR code. There is nobody at the Pilgrim's Office who scans this QR code. The alphanumeric code (consisting of letters and numbers) appears to be all that is needed. It is typed into the Pilgrim Office's computers and retrieves the pilgrim's data.
2205H47E has been registered correctly.

This is what I got in the mail.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
2205H47E has been registered correctly.

This is what I got in the mail.
Exactly. There is no QR code in the email that pilgrims receive after they have submitted their data for online registration. They receive a code that consists of numbers and letters and that is not a QR code.

The QR code that pilgrim see on their screen immediately after submitting their data by pressing "Create a group" (😵‍💫) is not needed and they don't have to save it or email it to themselves. It is a useless part of a web design that is faulty since it went live in 2019 and nothing has been done to improve it since then.

The title of this thread is misleading.

Exactly. There is no QR code in the email that pilgrims receive after they have submitted their data for online registration. They receive a code that consists of numbers and letters and that is not a QR code.

The QR code that pilgrim see on their screen immediately after submitting their data by pressing "Create a group" (😵‍💫) is not needed and they don't have to save it or email it to themselves. It is a useless part of a web design that is faulty since it went live in 2019 and nothing has been done to improve it since then.

The title of this thread is misleading.
This is correct.

There has been plenty of wading in with superfluous, useless, confusing and contradictory information and I have all but given up contributing to it.

It may change in the future, but at present none of the, I think now 17, networked stations are equipped to read a QR code. This may change in the future, but since its inception and for now, it's only the 8 digit code that's relevant. This is what pilgrims present when asked for the code.

That is correct we only use the alphanummeric code.
and if that does not work( we will type in the name of the pilgrim)

we only need the correct spelled name to write down on the Compostela and eventually the certificate of distance if wanted (costs 3€)
so what you registrate, you get on your Compostela except that we change your name into a latin name because the Compostela is written in latin
so Katharina will be something like Catharinam and Albert will be Albertum and John Ioannum and Maria Mariam

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
we change your name into a latin name because the Compostela is written in latin so Katharina will be something like Catharinam and Albert will be Albertum and John Ioannum and Maria Mariam
I know my Latin grammar 😇.

I was merely reacting to post #35 in this thread where the poster wrote: Help. I have filled in the form several times and did get the QR code. But I cannot save it!! I only got a message with an alphanumeric code. What to do?

There is nothing to do. I merely found it useful to point this out again.

This alphanumeric code is automatically sent by email and by text message to each pilgrim who registrated online and it is this registration code, consisting of a combination of letters and numbers, that is all that is needed.

A useful tip for newcomers: Write your registration number on your credential. Then you won't have to wrestle with your smartphone later on.

Last edited:
I am medicos...lol So I agree
So this is what I got:
“Las profesiones liberales son aquellas que permiten que las personas, con formación profesional o técnica para ello, trabajen bajo sus propias condiciones.”

So to me this sounds like “self-employed”.

The commonest professions that come under the liberales category:

• médicos;
  • veterinarios;
  • abogados;
  • fotógrafos;
  • periodistas;
  • contadores;
  • corredores de bienes inmuebles;
  • economistas;
  • ingenieros;
  • arquitectos;
  • psicólogos;
  • dentistas;
  • traductores e intérpretes, etc.
Soy médica también pero no liberales 🤣 but that may change soon?! Maybe by the time I arrive at the office for my Compostela I will, actually be a liberales? Wow! Talk about digging deep from trying to answer a simple form!

“It’s not the Camino that changes me, but attempting to fill in the compostela pilgrim’s form!”

A useful tip: Write your registration number on your credential. Then you won't have to wrestle with your smartphone later on
It sounds incredibly easy.
Get the alphanumeric code.
Write it down somewhere, so you can show it when you turn up in Santiago.
And finito - forget the rest.

Thanks, @Flog and @Kathar1na, for reiterating this, and making it clear!

If you have not seen it yet: @ivar has posted a photo of the second page of the credential issued by the Cathedral of Santiago. It has been updated and you can order it from the forum store.

Let's hope that all the other official credential issuers, namely the Camino / Pilgrim associations in countries other than Spain, will quickly update their own models of the pilgrim passport in the same way!

What is new: there is space where you can enter your mobile phone number and your email; the QR code has been added that you scan and that will take you to the online form where you fill in your application for your Compostela; and there is space where you write down the date of your online registration and the alphanumeric code that you will see and receive immediately after you have completed and submitted your online form and that you will need to show when you later arrive at the Pilgrims Office in Santiago. That's all and it's easy. Buen Camino!

Credencial 2022.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds incredibly easy.
Get the alphanumeric code.
Write it down somewhere, so you can show it when you turn up in Santiago.
And finito - forget the rest.

Thanks, @Flog and @Kathar1na, for reiterating this, and making it clear!
Thank you @VNwalking

I had actually registered yesterday and received my alphanumeric code via email.

Didn't save the QR as thought the alphanumeric code would do.

Then I started reading this thread today and found it to be very confusing - Started wondering had I done somethign wrong? Do I need to get the QR code? how can I retrieve it now? etc etc

English is my first language so I imagine it could be even more confusing for someone with english as a second or even third language.

You have cut through the fog with a very simple and straightforward explanation. It is in fact easy.

Your post should be pinned to the top of this thread along with @Kathar1na 's excellent suggestion of writing the alpha code on your credential.

all the best

Phil

there is space where you write down the date of your online registration and the alphanumeric code that you will see and receive immediately after you have completed and submitted your online form and that you will need to show when you later arrive at the Pilgrims Office in Santiago
Just write that alphanueric code - just the sequence of numbers and letters - on your credencial. That's all you need.
Super simple.

Edit. Our posts went up at the same time, Phil!
Your post should be pinned to the top of this thread along with @Kathar1na 's excellent suggestion of writing the alpha code on your credential.
She has, in her usual through and clear way, just now explained how on the new credencials, there's even a place for that! 😊

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
excellent suggestion of writing the alpha code on your credential.
Credit where credit is due: It was forum member @Flog who made the suggestion to write down the alphanumeric code in the credential. I am merely a humble messenger, and given the number of times that I repeated the words "only the alphanumeric code is needed" probably a multiplicator, too ;).

You will know by now that pertinent information has been added in the new version of the credencial or pilgrim passport that is issued as of now. Soon our threads will scroll into oblivion and the confusion will be forgotten.

I envy you a little, @phildimashq, as I see from your recent posts that you are getting ready to walk to Santiago while all I have is the webcams of the Cathedral and the news on this forum ... Buen Camino!!!

Credit where credit is due: It was forum member @Flog who made the suggestion to write down the alphanumeric code in the credential.
In fairness, I got the idea last October from a couple of pilgrims who arrived in SdC prepared. When I asked for the code, they pointed to it already neatly written in the corner and I thought to myself, you're way ahead of me, smart idea!
Every day is a school day!

Question about filling in the on-line form: which way should I choose if I walked two that linked up (Norte to Primitivo)? Haven’t been able to find any clarifying info about this specific topic. Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Question about filling in the on-line form: which way should I choose if I walked two that linked up (Norte to Primitivo)? Haven’t been able to find any clarifying info about this specific topic. Thank you!
In my opinion , fill in the north with the starting point belonging to that one.🙏🏻

Many thanks to Peter, Trecile, and Flog for the combination of tips on how to make this less confusing and a time saver. I forgot to do this the day before arriving in Santiago so I did it while sitting down on the square after my own arrival. I rested my sore muscles while watching pilgrims celebrate their achievement and waited for the QR code to arrive. Wrote down the code on my credential then proceeded to the office for my actual place in line. Easy breezy.

Many thanks to Peter, Trecile, and Flog for the combination of tips on how to make this less confusing and a time saver. I forgot to do this the day before arriving in Santiago so I did it while sitting down on the square after my own arrival. I rested my sore muscles while watching pilgrims celebrate their achievement and waited for the QR code to arrive. Wrote down the code on my credential then proceeded to the office for my actual place in line. Easy breezy.
I’m departing Oviedo today to begin my Camino.

In reading this thread, am I to understand correctly that I could register my credencial information today if I wanted to do that?

(i.e., register now via the QR code on my brand new credencial, enter the required information and submit, receive my subsequent alphanumeric code, put that code and the today’s registration date on my credencial, and provide that information upon arrival in Santiago weeks from now?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

In reading this thread, am I to understand correctly that I could register my credencial information today if I wanted to do that?

(i.e., register now via the QR code on my brand new credencial, enter the required information and submit, receive my subsequent alphanumeric code, put that code and the today’s registration date on my credencial, and provide that information upon arrival in Santiago weeks from now?
Just do it a day from arriving in Santiago. 🙏Buen Camino.

I think you can register your info ahead of time which will associate you with a unique code.

Then you can use the code *upon arrival* to put your spot in the queue per say, which generates another QR code which will take you to the real time info of the queue and where you might fall on that. Plan accordingly and refresh often

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Would two people walking together be considered a group! We only have one phone between us! 🙃

Would two people walking together be considered a group! We only have one phone between us! 🙃
No.
When you are filling out the form, there is a mistranslation that says "create a group" but it's actually for individual registrations.
You each need your own code when you arrive at the Pilgrim's Office.

No.
When you are filling out the form, there is a mistranslation that says "create a group" but it's actually for individual registrations.
You each need your own code when you arrive at the Pilgrim's Office.
And you can make two (or more) separate registrations on one phone if you wish, and create a code for each of you, dont worry!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Posted where please

Posted where please
Are you seeking information about some of the difficulties and inefficiencies that were reported in May 2022, or about how to do it now? I don't think it is useful to focus on the early difficulties. Since May, the Pilgrim Office has issued close to 300,000 compostelas, and most recent accounts indicate that the process is working quite well.

I followed the process in June. A few days before arrival, I entered my info on the Pilgrim Office Registration form. You can find the form on this web page, or wait and use the QR code posted at the entrance to the Pilgrim Office, to get you to the same form. You will receive an alphanumeric code by email. (It is convenient to write that code on your credencial so it is available when you need it at the pilgrim office.) When you arrive at the entrance to the Pilgrim Office, you show your code so they know you are already registered, and they will tell you what to do next..

Alternatively, you can do nothing until you arrive at the door to the Pilgrim Office, and ask to fill in the form on paper. The person at the door will tell you what to do next.

We arrived at the Pilgrim office last Friday (30 Sept). We were registered with bar codes and allowed in. The machine in the next step was out of service. We were given a numbered ticket and sent to the end of the line. 😊

I don't think it is useful to focus on the early difficulties. Since May, the Pilgrim Office has issued close to 300,000 compostelas, and most recent accounts indicate that the process is working quite well.
I agree.
As more pilgrims seem to be aware of the requirement to register in advance, more are arriving already prepared and the process has become more efficient.

With the mask mandate dropped, communication in the office has vastly improved too, making it less stressful for all.

Of course you can't please everyone. Some will still complain that a free service, provided to a large extent by unpaid volunteers, doesn't meet with their standard of expectation.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone we have done the form and have a QR code but I could not find any proper info on what to do next
I will be at the office for 10 am and hope for the best.
We head to Finistere by bus after lunch so time is pressing.
It took us longer than expected from Burgos my partner has a foot problem now.

Update we did the form as recommended arrived early at 09-39 presented the QR code at the door was given a numbered ticket 48 and 49 went straight in followed the Que of 10 and was out again in 15 minutes
Far better than the 3 hrs it took in 2018

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.