• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Obtaining a credencial in either Villar de Mazarife or Villadangos?

nonami

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese (2014) Finisterre(2014) Camino Frances (2016)
Background: Two of us will begin our camino in Leon in later this year. We fly into Madrid the day before (late on Sunday) so can't get a credencial then. We will catch an early train (7am) to Leon to start walking. It appears that we would need to wait until 11am to obtain one from the Benedictine Monastery albergue in Leon. Due to our very slow walking pace, starting after 11 is too late for us to begin walking that day.
So does anyone have up to date information on the possibility of buying our credencial at an albergue in one of the above towns?
Oh yes ... I know we could order one online from somewhere! Our preference is to get one in Spain.
Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your could try the tourist information office in Leon to get one, which should be open in the morning.
Quite a few albergues along the way will have credentials available but there are no guarantees they will be available when you want them. Given your tight travel plans, I would probably see if I could get one in advance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Be prepared and buy your credential in advance. Wherever you buy it you will then obtain your first stamp walking in Spain.

You can also just use a piece of paper if needed until you find a credential or order one in advance as recommended. Does the Australian pilgrim association have them or as others have said get one shipped to you from The Camino store associated with this forum.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
With the parameters that you’ve described, I think you’d be far better off obtaining a credencial prior to your arrival in Spain. I can only remember one time when we didn’t have our credenciales in hand before getting to the start of our Camino. Similar to what you’ve described, we had to wait until the cathedral in Porto opened that morning putting us on The Way much later than we had wanted (our flight arrived 12 hours late putting us in this situation in the first place.) Ease the numerous stressed involved with travel by getting your credenciales before leaving home. Just one less thing to worry about.

As a side note to @trecile post, I stayed at the Albergue Saint Antonio de Padua back in 2016 and had one of my best communal dinners on the Camino. It was an amazing vegetarian paella. Perhaps you’ll be as lucky in the places you choose to stay.

D5B7BDBD-A88D-4A2D-8672-97D078F36179.jpeg96238619-6200-46E2-B8F8-668F97C229EE.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh yes ... I know we could order one online from somewhere! Our preference is to get one in Spain.
What is perhaps not clear (at least not to me ☺️): Is it important to you to get a credencial in Spain from an albergue or Cathedral in Spain or do you simply want the Spanish version of the credencial as issued by the Cathedral of Santiago instead of a credencial issued by one of the numerous international Camino associations? If you just want the Cathedral version, then you can buy it from the forum store and have it sent to you in time as others have pointed out already.

Our preference is to get one in Spain.
According to Gronze.com the first 5 albergues listed on their website in Leon offer credentials. You can contact any of them and see if they will hold two credentials for you upon arrival in Leon.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
we would need to wait until 11am to obtain one from the Benedictine Monastery albergue in Leon.
If you are leaving Madrid at 7 a.m., you won't get to Leon much before 11 a.m. Even so, keep in mind that some albergues will be closed for a few hours in the middle of the day.

A good "somewhere" would be here in the forum store.
Thank you
Your could try the tourist information office in Leon to get one, which should be open in the morning.
Quite a few albergues along the way will have credentials available but there are no guarantees they will be available when you want them. Given your tight travel plans, I would probably see if I could get one in advance.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You can also just use a piece of paper if needed until you find a credential or order one in advance as recommended. Does the Australian pilgrim association have them or as others have said get one shipped to you from The Camino store associated with this forum.
You have to be a member to obtain one from the Aussie association.

What is perhaps not clear (at least not to me ☺️): Is it important to you to get a credencial in Spain from an albergue or Cathedral in Spain or do you simply want the Spanish version of the credencial as issued by the Cathedral of Santiago instead of a credencial issued by one of the numerous international Camino associations? If you just want the Cathedral version, then you can buy it from the forum store and have it sent to you in time as others have pointed out already.
It's my OCD rearing its ugly head. I picked up the credencial for my previous two caminos at the start.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Background: Two of us will begin our camino in Leon in later this year. We fly into Madrid the day before (late on Sunday) so can't get a credencial then. We will catch an early train (7am) to Leon to start walking. It appears that we would need to wait until 11am to obtain one from the Benedictine Monastery albergue in Leon. Due to our very slow walking pace, starting after 11 is too late for us to begin walking that day.
So does anyone have up to date information on the possibility of buying our credencial at an albergue in one of the above towns?
Thank you
I reside in South Aust. and have 2 spare Spanish Credentials. I will post them if you find this easier. If so send details thro 'private'. Cheers

Thank you
I purchased my credetial through Ivar ]this Forum -- seelect Forum Store on top bar].
My friend & I are also starting in Leon. Can I ask when you are planning to walk?
We start May 25th & thought perhaps we'd be on the Camino at the same tome........

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back