• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Obtaining a credencial in Ferrol

psheehan

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, CPo, CdN, CPr, F, CS, CV, CI, VdlP, CS, CA
Hello,

I will be arriving in Ferrol at 19:20 on a Saturday evening in September 2014 and plan to commence the Camino Ingles early the following morning, is it possible to get a credencial in Ferrol late Saturday evening?

Many thanks,

Paul.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Paul
I don't know the answer to your question. I got mine from the tourist booth at the dock and I doubt they will be open that late or particularly early.
But seeing as you've got some planning time, you could always acquire the Irish Pilgrims' Passport. You don't have to be a member of the Irish association, it's a nice one and you'll have one less uncertainty to manage. But it does cost €10. http://www.stjamesirl.com/?page_id=9
cheers, tom

When we were there in 2011 credenciales were available at the information office but I don't think it is open Saturday evening. (Ours - from the UK - were stamped Friday pm with Saturday's date because of the opening time) It might be better to get one before leaving home. There are several possibilities as well as Tom's: - CSJ - UK, if you are a member; a forum member also provides credenciales for a donation (+ postage?) which are, I believe, the ones from the Pilgrim Office (ie the ones you would get in Spain).
Buen Camino

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am planning to stay in the albergue at Covas on the night that I arrive. It claims to issue credencials. Its about 9km by road from Ferrol, but I plan to take an extra day and walk around the headland into Ferrol.

Regards,

From what I remember the tourist office in Ferrol doesn't open until about 10am, so much better to get one beforehand. Also, the credencial issued there was literally just a photocopied sheet of paper, so if you want to keep it as a souvenir the card ones issued by Ian at Peterborough Pilgrims (see Tia's link above) are much nicer! :cool:

Thanks for all your replies... It does make sense to obtain the credencial in Dublin before my departure... Incidentally I just had an email from Oficina Turismo Ferrol, they say it is possible to obtain the credential in the Cathedral of San Julian on C / Church, and in the evenings it is open until 20:30 pm every day. So that's good to know.

Also, is it sufficient to get a stamp in Ferrol and then one stamp per day over the 5 days before reaching Santiago to get the compostela (certificate), or do they require 2 stamps per day?

thanks,

Paul.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Save all the worry - get one before you leave. I've just ordered mine from pilgrimpeterbros@gmail.com and they send one by post for a small donation.
I've read elsewhere that you need TWO stamps per day over the last 100 kms. But I've never put that to the test.
I've also read that, to get your Compostella [certificate] you now need to walk 200 kms - not just the final 100 kms. If that's correct, it seems to rule out the Camino Ingles completely.
I'm sure we'll get confirmation very soon on both points!
Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Paul
I haven't always bothered to get 2 stamps in the last 100km when I've been coming from a long way back. But I assumed I'd need 2 stamps a day on the Ingles. It wasn't at all hard to find them. Wasn't sure I'd get one after Sigueiro but there's a big bar (Poligono) that rears up in front of you at the trading estate on the outskirts of Santiago. It provided one and also does a nice line in free tapas to go with your drink...

Cheers Tom, I'll definitely get the 2 stamps per day just to be on the safe side... I know from previous years they can be quiet thorough at the pilgrim office in Santiago... I must make a mental note of the Poligono, some free tapas and a drink before heading into Santiago sounds like a good idea!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last year when we walked we were able to get stamps quite easily. They included our accomodation, the churches, concellos in Neda, Fene and Mino and the bars. Even Hostel Miras in Sigueiro has a new Concello de Oroso Camino Ingles stamp. But we did forget to ask in bar Poligono! The first time I walked this route I completely forgot my first stamp so went back to the farmacia at the start and they stamped my credential, it was a sunday and most places were closed.
Liz

I also had an A4 photocopy credential from the Tourist office in the town centre- not great memorabilia. I had no trouble getting 2 sellos a day. Worth noting that this photocopy only had room for 12 sellos. Thanks for the memory Tom. I too went into that bar on the industrial estate. It was a welcome stop before the very uninspiring following into Santiago.

Everything was closed when we walked through the industrial estate as it was Sunday (weeps). This next time we will go through on a weekday ;) Does the revised route still go through there?
We made sure to get at least 2 stamps per day, one being from our accomodation. In two places where there was no bar etc we were chatting to locals outside the churches and they signed and dated our credenciales for us. Be creative, it works, and as we took 9 days we needed enough spaces for our stamps. We have just received our CSJ credenciales :), and with the better weather today are 'ready to go', but still have months to wait :(

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Tia
The revised route into Santiago comes out at the industrial estate near bar Poligono. Before this there is a short section which is really different from before. I have just written to the CSJ for our credenciales for our next CI in March.
Liz

Thanks for all your replies... It does make sense to obtain the credencial in Dublin before my departure... Incidentally I just had an email from Oficina Turismo Ferrol, they say it is possible to obtain the credential in the Cathedral of San Julian on C / Church, and in the evenings it is open until 20:30 pm every day. So that's good to know.

Also, is it sufficient to get a stamp in Ferrol and then one stamp per day over the 5 days before reaching Santiago to get the compostela (certificate), or do they require 2 stamps per day?

thanks,

Paul.
And if you get your credential in Dublin before you leave, then you can go to the St James Gate office of the Guinnes brewery and get your first stamp there. Many Irish pilgrims years ago used to begin their pilgrimage at St James Gate, as the first step in their camino. I don't think the sello counts as one of the two stamps you need each day on your Ingles walk though!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous..

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Save all the worry - get one before you leave. I've just ordered mine from pilgrimpeterbros@gmail.com and they send one by post for a small donation.
I've read elsewhere that you need TWO stamps per day over the last 100 kms. But I've never put that to the test.
I've also read that, to get your Compostella [certificate] you now need to walk 200 kms - not just the final 100 kms. If that's correct, it seems to rule out the Camino Ingles completely.
I'm sure we'll get confirmation very soon on both points!
Buen camino!

I've heard such talks about changing the rules too, that they are in discussions about pilgrims must've done now 200km instead of 100km, but I doubt if that is official yet. I'm a member of the Dutch association of St.James, and usually they are very well informed and always know the latest news as one of the first, so they would've informed their members by now if something like this would be official. From what I heard about the Camino Ingles (I haven't walked it, but am thinking about it) is that you can only get a compostella in Santiago if you started in O Coruna, Ferrol doesn't count.

From what I heard about the Camino Ingles (I haven't walked it, but am thinking about it) is that you can only get a compostela in Santiago if you started in O Coruna, Ferrol doesn't count.
That is backwards; Ferrol counts, A Coruna may not count.

The 200km requirement is an April Fool's joke that has taken on urban myth status. You should get 2 stamps per day in the last 100km, though the Pilgrim Office goes on a lot of instinct as to who has walked in compliance and who has not.

That is backwards; Ferrol counts, A Coruna may not count. The 200km requirement is an April Fool's joke that has taken on urban myth status. You should get 2 stamps per day in the last 100km, though the Pilgrim Office goes on a lot of instinct as to who has walked in compliance and who has not.
Who is this guy Falcon269 who has 1,203 "Likes"?
Ooooops! I've just given him another one ! ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've heard such talks about changing the rules too, that they are in discussions about pilgrims must've done now 200km instead of 100km, but I doubt if that is official yet. I'm a member of the Dutch association of St.James, and usually they are very well informed and always know the latest news as one of the first, so they would've informed their members by now if something like this would be official. From what I heard about the Camino Ingles (I haven't walked it, but am thinking about it) is that you can only get a compostella in Santiago if you started in O Coruna, Ferrol doesn't count.
Ferrol to Santiago is about 120 kms. And from a Coruña to Santiago is about 86 kms. So if you want to obtain a Compostela, start in Ferrol !

Hi, this has been answered in an earlier thread but just thought I'd check to see if the information is current.
Starting my Camino in Ferrol in September.
I can get my credencial at the tourist office or at the church? Anywhere else?
Does anyone have the name and address of the church in Ferrol?
Thanks

The credential I received in Ferrol was just a xerox page. If you want something more durable, obtain one before you go. I went to the church, found no one there. As I walked to other doors, preceding doors were being locked. Hours were not posted. I went to the tourist office for the xerox sheet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The credential I received in Ferrol was just a xerox page. If you want something more durable, obtain one before you go. I went to the church, found no one there. As I walked to other doors, preceding doors were being locked. Hours were not posted. I went to the tourist office for the xerox sheet.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't organised enough to get one in Australia. I'm already in Europe so Xerox page from Ferrol will do!

The hours:
Rúa Magdalena, 12, 15402 Ferrol, A Coruña, A Coruña, Spain

Oficina de Turismo da Xunta de Galicia
Praza Camilo José Cela (S/N)
Teléfono: 981 337 131

Horario de verán: todos os días, de 10:00 a 13:30 e de 16:30 a 19:30 h.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Falcon. Thank you for promoting the Galician language.
Also it is possible to obtain the credencial at church of San Julian c/ de la Iglesia (no number) that it is very near to the beginning of the Camino. It is open everyday 10 --13h and 18 -- 21h. I have phoned 981354725 and someone told me that the credencial is the original not a photocopy. I think that it costs 1,5 euros but I'm not sure because I bought my credencial in Madrid.

On 20th July 2016 a Pilgrim Office was opened in Ferrol right next to the stone that marks the beginning of the Camino. There, I got my stamp but they don´t have credenciales yet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Some weeks ago I got my new credential from Ivar'shop. Now it has disappeared.. I have searched all over the house, but in vain. What a comfort to find this thread! I can get one in Ferrol next Wednesday:)) This Forum can solve most problems!

In May 2017, I obtained a credencial from the Post Office. I only went in to ask if they knew where I could obtain a credencial so I was quite surprised they had one to sell! The first clerk knew nothing about it but was willing to go and ask someone. It took awhile to find the right person who knew they had them in stock.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last January I obtained my Credential in the evening (ca 18:00) from the Co-Cathedral in Ferrol. Need to go to the back of the Cathedral to the sacristy. Google lists opening hours 10:30 am–1 pm, 5:30–7 pm.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back