• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Obtaining a credencial

bradders

Hi
I'm planning to fly to Madrid on Sun 1st of June before catching a bus to Astorga where I intend to begin my walk the following day. I have booked a hotel in Astorga that night however will be looking to stay in Alberques for the remainder of the trip. Am I best to try and get a credencial in Astorga that night or will I be able to get one in Rabanal del Camino when I arrive there the following day?
I can't seem to find anything definitive despite searching the forums.

Many thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why not obtain a Credencial from your local association or from one of the on-line sources such as Peterborough Pilgrims (please make an appropriate donation) before you depart.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks Tincatinker. Am trying now to source one at home but if it doesn't arrive in time are they available in the smaller town or just the cities?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry mate I can't be certain about availability. You could certainly pick one up in Leon but your joining the route after Leon... On other threads its been commented that you don't have to have a credencial as such, just collect the sellos to show you have walked. Nothing to stop you making your own, and asking at every Albergue if they have one of the official ones.

bradders
I haven't been on the CF for a few years but I'm almost certain that you can swing by the main albergue in Astorga and pick one up the evening you arrive. An albergue in a big place like Astorga is going to have a stock of credencials. You can then get it stamped there as the starting place, even if you are not actually staying in the albergue. Last few times I've been picking up my credencial the day or evening before starting, whether that be in an albergue (Irun), a church (Lisbon) or a café (Villaviciosa)
cheers, tom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
you should be able to pick up a credencial at the municipal albergue in astorga. if not they should be able to direct you where to pick up one, or try the cathedral de santa maria de astorga.

buen camino.

Tincatinker said:
... On other threads its been commented that you don't have to have a credencial as such, just collect the sellos to show you have walked. Nothing to stop you making your own, and asking at every Albergue if they have one of the official ones.

That might work for sleeping in the albergues, but, at least officially, will make it more difficult to obtain a Compostela at the end. SY

Thanks to all of you who replied. The postman has just delivered my credencial from the Peterborough Pilgrims so I'm all set for my departure on Saturday.

Cheers, Bradders.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
re the comment that other threads have said that it is not necessary to have a credential - I know of some albergues where you absolutely cannot stay unless you have a credential. I saw one pilgrim last year with lots of stamps from previous stages, but only carried loose and not in a credential, refused entry to an albergue. The angrier he got, the more implaccable the hospitalero became.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan Pearce said:
... The angrier he got, the more implaccable the hospitalero became.

Getting angry rarely helps, but is understandable if you are tired from walking. I agree, carrying an official credencial helps to avoid problems and If you like, you still can carry, and get stamped, your DIY or scrapbook style one ;-) SY

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back