• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

O Cebreiro aqua-lady statute...research help, request

Time of past OR future Camino
C. F. (2014 & 2019) C. P. (2016). Thinking 2024 CF
I've been blogging/writing about my 2019 Camino Frances journey, for friends and fellow pilgrims who have cancelled (had to or chose to) their 2020 trip.
When we reached O'Cebreiro (by horse) I spied this statute, after our lunch with Victor, I went back and took photos, however, I haven't been able to find any information on the statute. I have woven her into my story - but reluctant to use the photo without known something about her origins. Hoping someone has some info...IMG_8298.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
O'Cebreiro aqua-lady statute
One might think that it is a mermaid but what I see is a young pilgrim woman with a backpack, not wearing boots or shoes, with her legs/feet over each other in a casual or playful resting position. Also, there are no myths or legends or anything that could be related to the figure. It is a modern statue in honour of contemporary pilgrims.

Cebreiro Peregrina.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bronze plus weather equals green
And I learnt today that it is common to artificially create a green patina on bronze statues, or even a different coloured patina. Apparently, one reason is the desire to protect the statue from the weather and from corrosion thanks to this deliberately accelerated patina process. This forum is a constant fountain of new knowledge. 😇

@SabineP's link informs us that the pilgrim statue of O Cebreiro was put in place as recently as April 2018.

The model for the pilgrim sculpture of O Cebreiro is the dancer Inés Vieites from the dancing company Nova Galega de Danza.

Originally, the statue was meant to carry a traditional walking stick over her shoulder but the artist decided against it. To break with stereotyping. That is also the reason why the statue is a woman and not a man. The overwhelming majority of contemporary pilgrim sculptures are male - not a reflection of reality as the composition of pilgrims is currently nearly evenly split between 50% men and 50% women.

It was commissioned and cost 30,000 €. Paid by the town of Pedrafita to which O Cebreiro belongs and by regional administration.

The artist decided against showing a walking pilgrim and opted for a pilgrim who rests and enjoys her surroundings. He would like to put the same pilgrim sculpture in other places, for examples in Roncesvalles and in Santiago de Compostela, but in a different posture than at O Cebreiro.

The statue already had a green patina when it was installed in 2018.

Article from May 2018:
O Cebreiro rompe estereotipos con la primera escultura de una peregrina
O Cebreiro breaks stereotypes with the first sculpture of a female pilgrim (machine translation)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The original is at Hotel Costa Vella in Santiago de Compostela:

The one on O Cebreiro is an enlarged replica. Replicas of the original can be purchaced for something like 450 euros at the hotel.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I see so many pics posted here and think "How did I not see that?" and here is another!

It is only one or two years old, the one on O Cebreiro

The original is at Hotel Costa Vella in Santiago de Compostela:

The one on O Cebreiro is an enlarged replica. Replicas of the original can be purchaced for something like 450 euros at the hotel.

Interesting. According to what we read above:
Originally, the statue was meant to carry a traditional walking stick over her shoulder but the artist decided against it. To break with stereotyping.

The one in the hotel has the walking stick over her shoulder, that was removed for the one in O Cebreiro.

I've been blogging/writing about my 2019 Camino Frances journey, for friends and fellow pilgrims who have cancelled (had to or chose to) their 2020 trip.
When we reached O'Cebreiro (by horse) I spied this statute, after our lunch with Victor, I went back and took photos, however, I haven't been able to find any information on the statute. I have woven her into my story - but reluctant to use the photo without known something about her origins. Hoping someone has some info...View attachment 83133

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi. I know this is rather late but I just saw your post. This statue was made by Miguel Cuoto. She is the Older Sister Pilgrim statue, there is another that compliments her in the Costa Vella's garden in Santiago de Compostela - she is known as the little sister pilgrim.
Thanks for your reply Clara😎

I'm a bit late too. The one on the hotel's home page looks nothing like the one at O Cebreiro. To say the one at O Cebreiro is an enlarged replica of the one on the hotel's home page, if that is what camino.ninja is saying, requires a new definition of 'replica'. The one at the hotel looks like a man to me. The legs are completely different. At the side of La Peregrina at O Cebreiro there is a rectangular plate. On it is the name 'miguel couto' (no capitals).

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back