• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October 10th SJPDP

Cbok82

Time of past OR future Camino
September 18
Ok so I have scoured the forums and read various posts about weather this time of year. And I know I'm never going to get a definitive answer, however some advice from anyone who has walked at this time would be great...I start in SJPDP on 11th October and finish in Pamplona 14th October

Basically I'm wondering what I should pack clothing wise....

Are shorts a stupid idea??

Will I need anything heavier than a lightweight fleece? (Not counting rain jacket)

Is the Napoleon Route well way markered? It's slightly daunting to think I could lost in sudden fog in the middle of the Pyrenees 😱

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Layers, Layers, Layers! a lightweight fleece with several layers and rain / snow protection should be enough. Don't forget gloves. If you're going to get lost, it will probably be on the decent - read the route descriptions carefully and plan to take the "easier" route to the right as you descend. Go slow, be prepared. If there's a chance of snow, skip the Napoleon route altogether.

Buen Camino!

Ok so I have scoured the forums and read various posts about weather this time of year. And I know I'm never going to get a definitive answer, however some advice from anyone who has walked at this time would be great...I start in SJPDP on 11th October and finish in Pamplona 14th October

Basically I'm wondering what I should pack clothing wise....

Are shorts a stupid idea??

Will I need anything heavier than a lightweight fleece? (Not counting rain jacket)

Is the Napoleon Route well way markered? It's slightly daunting to think I could lost in sudden fog in the middle of the Pyrenees 😱

Maybe this will give you an idea of what will work during your time on Camino. Below is a list of my "closet" that I carry in my pack. Besides it being used during the last two years on Camino during late Sept to late October - - and again this year from late October to November - - it is about the same as what I used to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail (most of which sits above 9,000 feet / 2743 meters in elevation. And for the thousands of other backpacking miles I have done.
  1. Pants -- REI, Classic Sahara Convertible, Zip-Off Legs
  2. Baselayer Top -- Smartwool, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1
  3. Baselayer Bottom - Smartwool, Lightweight
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  5. Windshell Jacket - Patagonia, Houdini
  6. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest
  7. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 2
  8. Extra insoles x 1
  9. Poncho --- Zpacks, Cuben Fiber Frogg Toggs Ultralite breathable poncho
  10. Gloves -- North Face, polartec
The total weight is around 3.4 pounds.

Additionally, The clothing that I wear consists of running shorts and a long sleeved synthetic and lightweight shirt.

All of the clothing can be used in various layering configurations to provide a comfort range from 25F to very hot. This is just an example of how a layering system can be flexible and cover a wide temperature range which is more than sufficient for the time of year you are going over the Pyrenees and Galicia.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
October 4th, 2015.
Foggy early in the morning, sunny and cold afterwards.
As for the signposts, follow the red and white strips. If they are parallel, you are in the right direction.
Anyway, you will be hardly alone.
Remember that after Lepoeder pass there are two options: by the forest (scenic, steep) and the easier paved road to Ibañeta (which is fine, also) and a final walk by the forest.

Attachments

• DSCF3340-b.jpg
    DSCF3340-b.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 7
I see you have received multiple answers for your original question. Just wanted to share some additional relevant information with you: be advised that 12 October is a national holiday in Spain (I noted that this is the second day of your Camino). This will mean that shops, cafes, etc. along the way may have limited hours on that day (and possibly on the following Monday as the holiday falls on a Saturday).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back