• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October 12th, National Holiday

vkimble

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September 2023
Hispanic Day (Oct. 12, 2023) in Spain is a national holiday according to the calendar that I am seeing. Will this holiday impact walking on the CF? Will albergues, restaurants be significantly impacted with day tourists? Will these establishments remain open? Thank you, as a first timer, I am trying to plan the timing of my walk accordingly.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hispanic Day (Oct. 11, 2023) in Spain is a national holiday according to the calendar that I am seeing. Will this holiday impact walking on the CF? Will albergues, restaurants be significantly impacted with day tourists? Will these establishments remain open? Thank you, as a first timer, I am trying to plan the timing of my walk accordingly.
12 de octubre.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes! Depends on where you are, but there will be Spanish pilgrims, more tour bus etc at places like Foncebaden and Cruz de Fero and cities. If you are in the countryside like in the Meseta, maybe bit less busy.

Make sure you have some food in your pack for dinner just incase you encounter restaurant closures where you are stopping for the night. This happened to me last year in tiny Las Herrerias. The restaurants affiliated with the Albergue and with the hotel up the hill remained open but displayed signage saying that they could not provide cena service to anyone not staying in their accommodation. Luckily, I was prepared.

PS: They served me many cervezas before dinner though. ;) So I went to bed happy.

Last year I had finished my camino and had traveled to Barcelona when that holiday occurred. The Police had blocked off several streets and entrances to the Zoo, etc. The were preparing for some sort of protest which didn't turn out to be very much. But, I guess after what happened on Jan 6, it's better to be overly prepared.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hispanic Day (Oct. 12, 2023) in Spain is a national holiday according to the calendar that I am seeing. Will this holiday impact walking on the CF? Will albergues, restaurants be significantly impacted with day tourists? Will these establishments remain open? Thank you, as a first timer, I am trying to plan the timing of my walk accordingly.
I walked in 2015 in early autumn; no -- except for some locals at a bar, I wouldn't have know it was a holiday. As I recall from my blog, I was a day or so from Leon at that point.
David in Nova Scotia

I just check my blog from last year. On Oct 12th we walked from Catrojeriz to Boadilla, passing through Itero de la Vega. Pretty much the only people we saw were other Pilgrims. The local people were off someplace else.

In Itero, one Tienda was open, doing a booming business, selling sandwichs from the deli counter. Everything else was closed and the village quiet and empty.

In Boadilla, everything was closed except the Albergue/Hotel en El Camino. If they did not have a communal dinner, we would have gone hungry.

So on Oct 11th, hit a supermarket for lunch/snacks/drinks while walking on the 12th. Plan where you will sleep on the 12th to find someplace that will be serving a meal. Restaurants will be closed.

Jim

Our FindPenguins entry for Oct 12 2022:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for triggering a memory and hopefully someone can answer the the question that I have been afraid to ask for 2 years.

I was in Bilbao holidaying after Camino and on Hispanic Day there was a parade with several groups with flags with what looked like Stalin on them. Can someone ELI5 why?

So on Oct 11th, hit a supermarket for lunch/snacks/drinks while walking on the 12th. Plan where you will sleep on the 12th to find someplace that will be serving a meal. Restaurants will be closed.
Thanks Jim, I was planning on asking this question as I am on Camino Frances in Oct. Can you give me any idea of how far in advance I should book accommodation. 🙏

Thanks for that, I will probably be somewhere on the VdlP on that day. Good to know I need to prepare for it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've just checked - all being well, I'll be in Salamanca that day ...
At a guess and that's all it is, I will be much further north, maybe somewhere around Silleda or Lalin. I haven't planned the VdlP part of my walk this year because I don't know exactly when i will get to Santiago after finishing the first part of the journey (basically Norte, Vadiniense, Salvador, Primitivo, Frances, Finisterre).

Once I finish the first part somewhere around the start of October I will be heading south, possibly to Zamora and putting some miles in on VdlP. But nothing is concrete and I may even walk the Ingles from Ferrol before I head south, just to see if I can do it in 3-4 days.

As long as I'm back in Santander by the 22nd Oct, i'm good. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Jim, I was planning on asking this question as I am on Camino Frances in Oct. Can you give me any idea of how far in advance I should book accommodation. 🙏

I was booking rooms 2 days in advance as we walked. My wife and I stayed in private rooms the whole way, to avoid sleeping in "dorms rooms" due to covid concerns. Places to sleep were not impacted by the National Holiday, as far as I could tell.....

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back