• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October 2010 Pilgrimage!!

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 | May | Vezelay Camino.....watch this space!

2010 | September | Camino de Santiago in - completed in full - 33 days - no rest days! Was an awesome experience!!
Hi all

Many of you know me (chatted to me on here I should say) and knew I was about to embark on my fabulous Camino adventure.....unfortunately I've had to delay my escapade and will now be departing St Jean on Sunday 26th September and walking through October - aim to finish at Halloween.... :twisted: LOL

I'm doing my walk as a major fund raising event - some of you know & some of you have joined my CAMINO HEARTBEAT page on facebook (eveyone is welcome to join my CAMINO HEARTBEAT page on facebook) this tells you about my wonderful Campaign & the cause I'm raising funds for and my own personal story as to why I'm doing it - happy to share my story :)

Has anyone walked the Frances Camino during October - thinking about weather conditions mostly?? Am wondering if it will be kind of similar to doing it through April.

Buen Camino
Jacqui

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Jacqui,

I started in Lourdes at the beginning of october 2008, so virtually some two weeks later.
Prepare for all kinds of weather. Warmth, cold, wind, sun, rain and perheps even snow on O Cebreiro.
Dress in layers, that will do the trick.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

Hi Jacqui,

Carli metioned: Dress in layers, that will do the trick.

And he's correct, the key is finding which layers and their attendant weight to warmth quotient.

Here's what worked for me: long sleeve poly-pro 80%/cotton 20% undershirt, sleeveless fleece vest, light weight wind breaker, Altus rain cape/poncho.

I checked the temperature in the morning: if at least 40 degrees F/4.4 degrees C. Just the undershirt and the vest. Once you start walking the body temp and your pack will heat you up rather quickly...up hill/down hill even faster. If below 40/4.4...I added the wind breaker. If raining/snowing...the Altus has sufficient vents to allow you to take off the wind breaker and still retain body heat.

Do not wear anything 100% cotton while walking...once you begin sweating, your body can not generate sufficient heat to dry the cotton, thus you begin to shiver and you get colder.

All the best,
Arn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello!
Last year I walked from Le Puy to Santiago and crossed the border on the Napoleonroute 19.09.
Arrived in Santiago 20.10.09. I have earlier walked twice in springtime.
This time the roads were drier, not so much mud as in the spring 2007, except for a bit before Linzoain on the first day in Spain. Not so much rain either.
I needed the same clothes as in spring. Mornings could be cold in october. Most mornings I had to put on a jacket. In Sarria there was frost/rime on the ground. Evenings could be cold in the refugios as they were in spring too.
What differed most was the light. At the end of my trip it was very dark in the mornings, so you could not see anything before 8.30 in the morning.
ranthr

Hi Jacqueline,
Hoping to do the camino at about the same time as you so may see on the route some time. Having done a bit of walking but not on the camino though I think Arn has it about right. It seems we need to remember that it can be quite cold in the mornings, very hot in the afternoon and very wet especially in Galicia at any time. All the best and buen camino.

Hey Richey

You leaving from St Jean? If so, what date?

Thanks to all for the "layers" theme - Arn I do have some of that amazingly good "Icebreaker" gear that comes in different grades for cold - plus I have a super zipup wind vest and will get a couple more piece of the Icebreaker stuff - long sleeve & short sleeve. I only have a very thin wet weather jacket - it is 100% waterproof but not for warmth - think that will be ok given all the layers underneath and as you say once you start walking you get warm anyway - perhaps some gloves for the mornings & a warm hat for head & ears also for the nippy mornings :D

Buen Camino all :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last year we also walked from Roncevalles leaving 16th Sept and arrived in Santiago on 23rd Oct (Ranther, you must have passed us along the Way). The weather was more or less the same as we found in late Spring. With the exception of a few hot days, I wore my wind jacket all day long for about 75% of the Camino. Last autumn, I sometimes started out by wearing both my fleece and jacket, and usually discarded the fleece after about one hour. We experienced early morning frost after Tricastela. (I would have liked to have a pair of gloves). Not much rain. A couple of very heavy storms early on, which left the trail very muddy, making walking difficult. We only experienced serious rain for the last 3 days before reaching Santiago. I took along a long sleeved sports shirt and long johns this time, but didn't need them. The fact is, that the weather can change, just slightly, for one year to the next, so what I experienced last year, might not be the same as what will happen this year. Anne

Hi Jacqui,
I am starting from St Jean like you but at the moment am planning to start walking on about the 29th September but that could change by a day or two but certainly I shall be doing it at pretty well at that time - can't wait. Coming from England will easier to adjust dates than you I guess, all the way from Australia.
Icebreaker is a great make of clothing I think but it seems to me that there are a couple of things to watch out for and they are that the weather can be immensely variable including at that time of year very hot (well for a limey anyway !) (certainly 30s mid afternoon in the Pamplona area I have been told is possible) and also there is the issue of the weight that one has to carry. So flexibility of clothing rather than quantity is what I am getting from all the advice there is on this site as being important.
Hasta el camino.

Hello there Jacqui,

Ive read your story and want to say how moving it was!
You are doing an amazingly selfless act by raising money for charity and in the process are giving yourslef one of the greatest gifts in life, walking the Camino!

I have stumbled upon several of your posts as im scouring the forums for information about walking the camino, for a second time, in the Autumn months of this year.
I have dug deep and downloaded a little information in PDF format regarding the weather along the route in previous years, so it may give you some detail as to exactly how wet and how cold it can get.

My first Camino Frances in 2007 I also raised money for charity and have a few resources that you may find helpful for your cause i.e. fundraising packs and the like.
If you want to send me an email, I can attach some relevant information and reply back.

Sorry to all for not having the links to the PDFs at hand, I cant remember where i found them exactly, if there is anyone else that would like copies, just let me know and ill get them to you.

Again, your courage and tenasity are inspiring, and may I wish you a warm BEUN CAMINO!

Greg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Greg

Thank you! :D

I am using the following email for all things to do with my Fund Raising event / Camino walk - caminoheartbeat@hotmail.com

Be great to have them - any information can be very useful.

I'm unsure if you have facebook Greg, but if you do please join my campaign page - just search for CAMINO HEARTBEAT and it will come up - also encourage your friends and family - it is an open public page.

Below is my donation webpage as well - I encourage EVERYONE to dig deep for a great cause.

http://www.everydayhero.com.au/camino_heartbeat

I officially start campaigning next week - but I have a few wonderful friends, family and people I've met and talked to about it that have already donated.

Cheers
Jacqui

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.