• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October 2012 Camino

georgia jugs

My wife, Patti, and I walked from Astorga to Santiago in June, 2010. What a great experience. The people we met were wonderful. I often think that our world leaders should be forced to make the walk. Maybe then they would learn to get along!
After our walk we went to Lourdes, Normandy, St Theresa's birthplace (I can't spell it), and Paris. It was a summer of pilgrimages. Next year we are going to walk the entire way from SJPP, but have been thinking about starting in Lourdes. Does anyone know the distance/time from Lourdes to SJPP?
This a wonderful forum. Every time I read it I want to book a flight and start walking.
Thank you,
John

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello John and Patti,
It is great to start in Lourdes. It will be a good warm-up before you have to cross the Pyrenees into Spain. These are recommended stages for the ± 143km from Lourdes to St Jean:

Lourdes Asson 24,0
Asson Arudy 18,4
Arudy Oloron-Sainte-Marie 23,2
Oloron-Sainte-Marie L'Hôpital-Saint-Blaise 18,6
L'Hôpital-Saint-Blaise Mauléon-Licharre 15,6
Mauléon-Licharre Saint-Just-Ibarre 21,0
Saint-Just-Ibarre Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port 20,5

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We have decided that October is much to long a wait to begin our walk, so we are going to start in May and start in SJPP. It will be more crowded at that time but seeing spring in Spain will be worth it. I know that this year there was bus service from Pamplona to SJPP. Does anyone know if the buses will be running (buses not bulls) that route in May? If not what is a good way to get from Pamplona to SJPP? We are going to fly Atlanta to Madrid and take a bus from there to Pamplona.
The good thing about planning for the Camino is that it makes Christmas shopping so much easier!
John

ALSA has not announced the Pamplona-St. Jean bus yet, but it is likely. Last year it began in April, I believe, so that may occur in 2012. Watch the ALSA site for the news release.

georgia jugs said:
My wife, Patti, and I walked from Astorga to Santiago in June, 2010. What a great experience.,
John

HY--

2 questions. How u go to Astorga and where u sleep in Astorga.

i´m going start in Asgtorga to.

tks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We took an ALSA bus from Madrid to Astorga and stayed at the San Javier Albergue. The albergue was very nice. It had a foot soaking fount that we didn't need yet and we never saw another one on the walk! Astorga was an interesting town with a beautiful cathedral and bishop's house. Never made it to the chocolate museum, but will this next trip.

There are four weekday buses daily from the Madrid airport to Astorga, three on Saturday, and one on Sunday (a very late bus). The Astorga bus station is across the street from the cathedral, so very convenient to hotels or San Javier.

I have been reading a book about the Camino and the author mentioned the treacherous entry into Leon. It is also mentioned in Brierly's guidebook. Both mentions are a few years old and I am wondering if the intersection has been improved. Any recent ventures across this intersection? Of course if you are replying you made it!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
John Brierley's warnings concerning crossing the dual carriageway before Leon no longer apply. There are two pedestrian bridges and judging by the amount of weathering on each, they have been there several years. Peregrinos still have to walk alongside busy roads for much of the way but there is no need to risk one's life racing across the road to the central reservation and then on to the other side.

Having read John's guidebook, I was gearing myself up for an arduous but life-affirming crossing and found myself simultaneously delighted and disappointed not to have to undergo what must have been a harrowing experience in years past.

dazzamac said:
...but there is no need to risk one's life racing across the road to the central reservation and then on to the other side. ...undergo what must have been a harrowing experience in years past.
Believe me, it was a truly harrowing experience, and I am relieved for all those who now walk that they no longer need to do it. Once was enough.
Margaret

Yes, Leon is fine to walk into now. There's still a stretch walking alongside the motorway for a couple of kms, but it's perfectly safe with footbridges etc.

I was really impressed by the reception in Leon this May, with a table set up to provide tourist information and maps to pilgrims as we entered the city. For a city of its size it seemed to have a really nice sense of civic pride and wellbeing about it. Great restaurants and families walking hand in hand as they went out to eat on a Sunday evening. All the things that are good about Spain.

No doubt someone will have a horror story about being mugged or similar, though! :shock:

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for your answers about Leon. I wasn't looking forward to that passage. I hear that the cathedral in Leon is beautiful, both inside and out. We should be flying out of Atlanta 4 months from today. Happy New Year and Buen Camino!

Georgia, Leon is a beautiful city. One day I intend to return there as a 'tourist' and explore it more. I really loved 'San Isadora', which had many treasures including the library full of books laboriously transcribed by medieval monks.
Margaret

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
[youtube][/youtube]
georgia jugs said:
Thank you for your answers about Leon. I wasn't looking forward to that passage. I hear that the cathedral in Leon is beautiful, both inside and out. We should be flying out of Atlanta 4 months from today. Happy New Year and Buen Camino!

Hi Georgia. Leon is somewhere to look forward to rather than worry about in my experience. Happy New Year to you too! Buen 2012 Camino!

Keith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back