• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

October 2023

MBRANDT

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2023
Hi Everyone,
Im Matthew Brandt and myself and another American veteran will begin our Portuguese Camino this October. We are on this journey to help bring greater awareness to veteran suicide. Our hope is to do future Caminos with more and more veterans In need of just such a journey in life.
Thanks for the invite!

Matthew
www.tacticalretreat.org

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, Matthew, Welcome to the forum! I think your instincts are correct, though I have no military experience and know nothing first hand of PTSD and other issues that lead tragically to veteran suicide. There are other members who have organized groups like the one you are thinking about, and maybe some of them will post here.

Here is one example that I remember very well.

And a podcast that might be of interest: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/episode-32-veterans-on-the-camino.65523/

In any event, wishing you a wonderful camino, Laurie

Welcome indeed...I pray you find the support you're looking for.

FYSA, Warriors on the Way is going on pilgrimage again this year (Frances, from Astorga) as are a group of Vietnam vets on Sep 19th (the Last Patrol, Frances), and Veterans on the Camino is starting Sep 29th ( assuming Frances). You all may be able to help each other.

I will be starting the Primitivo, God willing, in mid September. But I am not a combat vet (a vet, saw 9/11 in person, but not combat). I used to walk or volunteer for Out of the Darkness each year, but it got to be too heavy a load. This year is for my mother's soul. (Vicarie Pro).

Bom Caminho/Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome.... that will be a wonderful opportunity for Veterans.
A particular group that I work with is called Hives for Heros
I'm a beekeeper.
we work with local Veterans that are interesting in learning Beekeeping.
they work with a Mentor for one year to learn, and the next season they are "gifted a bee hive"- its wonderful to have something to look forward to, and to bee needed.

Back