• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October and November weatherquestions

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There was a website that was my favourite one to check as I walked along the Camino. I could see what predicted temperatures were, what the likelihood of rainfall was etc.
http://groups.msn.com/ElCaminoSantiago/ ... ances.msnw
I am so grateful to the person who put this particular website together!

There is also a page on the site that summarises weather, on a monthly basis, for several points along the Camino.

So if you look up October and November on the charts it will give you an idea of the weather. However, averages do not always apply: as one who is not overly fond of walking in too much heat, I was quite pleased to end up walking this June although the locals seemed to be complaining it was much colder than normal!
One other thing about walking in November that you may already be aware of... not all albergues are open all year... quite a few are seasonal, and will close by the beginning of November.
Margaret

Maragret is giving good advice about albergues closing in November - last year I noticed that not only did the seasonal ablergues close but a number of others had some days off and closed at the end of the busy period. But there were always enough beds even if it meant walking on to the next village.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would expect rainy and windy weather, and cold with may be some snow at mountains (Roncesvalles, Cruz de Ferro, Cebreiro).

But actually you can find any surprising weather on this months,

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Two days of rain in Leon in October 2007. Three days of rain in November 2007.
Two days of rain in Santiago in October 2007. Six days of rain in November 2007.
It depends on where you are!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm trying to decide when to return to the Camino--mid-October or mid-November. I just looked through the average temps for those two months and they do not look too daunting. My Camino this past April-May was interrupted in Rabinal by a death in the family. So I will be returning to Leon or Astorga to resume walking. I would prefer to start mid- November because I'll have more time to walk with ease. But the websites still leave me with questions about what the weather will be like. For me April and May this year were fantastic. Any ideas out there? How was Novermber in 2010 and 2011? Thanks AL

ncali12 said:
I'm trying to decide when to return to the Camino--mid-October or mid-November. I just looked through the average temps for those two months and they do not look too daunting. My Camino this past April-May was interrupted in Rabinal by a death in the family. So I will be returning to Leon or Astorga to resume walking. I would prefer to start mid- November because I'll have more time to walk with ease. But the websites still leave me with questions about what the weather will be like. For me April and May this year were fantastic. Any ideas out there? How was Novermber in 2010 and 2011? Thanks AL

Al,

i walked the Camino Frances during November 2010 and 2011. Both years the weather was good with generally clear days and frosty nights. Nevertheless at times the wind from the west was extremely strong and bitter cold. Mid month the little hamlet of O Cebreiro was almost hidden in dense fog mixed with heavy sleet. Samos, too, was frigid. After Santiago continuing on to Finisterre there was ice along the route at Hospital and the mud was frozen. You and your kit must BE PREPARED for varied weather!! Freezing rain or snow might occur. Not all albergues will be open but the hospitaleros usually know who is on the next stage. Generally those albergues which are open will either be heated or have blankets. During November you will always find a bunk since the crowds of summer are gone.

Stay warm and Buen camino,

Margaret

Hi Margaret,

I will be arriving in Santiago mid November , after walking from Granada, and plan to walk on to Finisterre. You mentioned to have the kit prepared-----is this just warm clothing, maybe thermals. I was a little anxious when you wrote the mud was frozen and the path ice. Is it just a matter of being very careful how one walks , to prevent sliding ? I come from Western Australia so have no concept of walking on frozen ground !!! I do use 2 walking poles. In 2009 I walked from SJDP but arrived in Santiago towards the end of October------I got the bus to Finisterre.

Sandra.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sandra,

Layers are the answer. As for an autumn/winter kit see my Camino Gazetteer >>http://mermore.blogspot.fr/p/my-kit-and-basic-tips.html.

There are no guarantees. Just because the weather has been good or bad one year does not mean it will necessarily be the same the next. Wherever and whenever you walk it is important to see where you place your feet. If you can not see the path it can be DANGEROUS. Thin ice on a flat solid surface can be cracked with your boots, ie Vilaserio 2010. Ice on rock is different; wait for the sun to melt it as well as another pilgrim to walk with. The ice noted in this post was between Olveiroa and Hospital on rock.

"December 3, 2010 We all awoke to a thin layer of brittle ice covering most surfaces; this was especially slick on rock and stone and the Camino would now climb up over stone for several kilometers. What to do? Luckily an Australian pilgrim, Liz, a trained trail guide came along and calmly walked and talked me up the icy trail! After climbing an hour or so our path, now descending, became unfrozen mud. I never really appreciated walking on mud until AFTER trying to walk on ice! What a relief!"

In 2011 there was no ice just pouring rain and thick mud. One never knows!

Buen Camino,

Margaret

Jenny,

Yes I am. Mid October I hope to set out on my eighth entire Camino Frances from SJPdP to Finisterre.

At 73 hope springs eternal!

Carpe Diem !

Margaret

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Margaret,

You're amazing! Have you walked this time of year in the past. I was going to leave to begin in St. Jean on OCt 24th, but am getting concerned that there will not be many pilgrims, or places to stay as I am walking alone... advice???

Candace :)

mspath said:
Jenny,

Yes I am. Mid October I hope to set out on my eighth entire Camino Frances from SJPdP to Finisterre.

At 73 hope springs eternal!

Carpe Diem !

Margaret

Candace,

Yes I have generally walked the CF in late autumn/winter. Some pilgrims are always walking the camino and some albergues always open. You MUST must be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be cold and freezing rain, fog or even snow might occur. Not all albergues will be open but the hospitaleros usually know who is open on the next stage and such info is often posted on albergue doors. Most open albergues will either be heated or have blankets. When it is bitter cold I wear my wooly hat to bed and resemble Goldilocks' grandma!

Since all my caminos have been in autumn and winter perhaps you would find my blog Camino Gazetteer at http://mermore.blogspot.com/ useful for your planning. Please feel free to send a PM with any questions that you might have.

Stay warm and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Margaret - I keep on hitting the links listed below, however am getting directed to a "sky drive" where there doesn't appear to by any charts or weather information - does this make sense to you? Am I doing something wrong that is a simple fix? Thanks!

KiwiNomad06 said:
There was a website that was my favourite one to check as I walked along the Camino. I could see what predicted temperatures were, what the likelihood of rainfall was etc.
I am so grateful to the person who put this particular website together!

There is also a page on the site that summarises weather, on a monthly basis, for several points along the Camino.

So if you look up October and November on the charts it will give you an idea of the weather. However, averages do not always apply: as one who is not overly fond of walking in too much heat, I was quite pleased to end up walking this June although the locals seemed to be complaining it was much colder than normal!
One other thing about walking in November that you may already be aware of... not all albergues are open all year... quite a few are seasonal, and will close by the beginning of November.
Margaret

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.