• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October Camino - How necessary is reflective gear?

serenalms

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2013
My husband and I start our Camino October 4th from Pamplona, and we've already purchased all of our gear. For some reason, when we were buying things it never even crossed our minds to buy anything reflective. My husband recently came across an article that said that not only is reflective gear suggested, it is now required by law?

Since we don't have anything, is it okay if I simply buy some reflective tape and tape it on my backpack? I was thinking of purchasing these for the back of our packs and then putting some reflective tape on our backpack straps in the front.

Will this be sufficient, or does the law really require you to have a full on reflective backpack cover, vest, etc?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't know what the law says, but maybe someone else does.
But I took a cheap hi-viz vest on my camino this spring, and I thought it was great.
The cars actually kept much more distance, than I remember them doing when I walked without a vest.
I also was happy to have it when we did some road walking early in the morning. If you wear dark clothes you will almost be invisible in the dusk and dawn. Something I know as I drive a lot in the countryside myself, so I see this from a drivers perspective too.
For this camino (I'm off on Friday) I bought a light hi-viz vest, only 43 gram and cost 20 sek (which is 2 euro something). It's looking like a yellow net with reflective tape and it is comfortable to wear. I found it in one if these low price stores.
Buen camino

When walking on public roads before full light and after dusk a high visibility vest is now required in Spain - they are very cheap and readily available at every gas station for example.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That's a great question, serenalms. I was wondering the same thing. I've packed a bright orange mesh safety vest, the kind construction workers wear. It also has silver reflective stripes on it. It's large enough that I can wear it over my pack if need be. I was debating whether or not to bring it but I think now I will.

It is the law. The law is rarely enforced. All the Spanish wear one when they get out of their car on the highways. It is an excellent safety device. Pilgrims are almost never hit by cars. On the rare extremely dangerous highway stretches, you will find it quite comforting.

With or without a visibility vest, walk single file on the left facing traffic. I have had a dozen Spanish drivers yell at me when I was being a scofflaw!

As fall is approaching and the day is getting shorter, it is recommended that you and your husband buy reflective vests. It is not important whether it is the law in spain or not (yes, it is the law), but it is for your own safety while walking on the road.

If you forget to buy them in sf, you can get them in the china bazars in practically many towns or cities on the path of the camino frances. They are very inexpensive

Buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We also have the wrist strap type yellow bands which we hang off our pack straps. Mine in front, Terry's behind as that way we have visibility when walking single file and they are there all the time. It is noticeable, even in sunny weather, how cars move out way ahead of us because we are seen sooner. They even have a red warning led light, but mine stopped working as the wiring is flimsy. Very light weight and even lighter if the tiny battery is removed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.