• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October Camino - How warm/thick of a Fleece or Jacket?

serenalms

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm walking the Camino in October 2013, starting from Pamplona, and I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out my packing list when it comes to staying warm.

I had planned on bringing a very warm and thick fleece (the northface windwall - http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc- ... acket.html), but everyone I talk to tells me that this will be too hot for me, and that I should get a lighter weight fleece.

Since I'm going in October, I'm very nervous about being cold. However, I also don't want to bring stuff that will be too hot for me. The salesperson at North Face said that once I start walking, I'll likely hate having a thick fleece and will never want to wear it.

This is what I was planning on taking for warm weather clothes, and I'd love any advice anyone can share.

beanie
lightweight gloves
Long sleeve merino wool shirt
Warm windproof fleece (northface windwall - i posted link above)
Light goretex/waterproof shell
Altus Poncho

Is this too much, or not enough? Should I swap out the heavier fleece for a lighter one? If I'm bringing an altus poncho, do I also need a waterproof goretex jacket? If not, is a long sleeve wool shirt, thick fleece, and altus poncho sufficient for warmth?

The more I shop the more confused I get!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hiya,

Yeah, i'm interested in October weather clothing also....think layering would be better than a heavyweight fleece though. I'm going to bring light rainjacket and a poncho to cover myself and my Osprey Talon 44 backpack. Maybe I will see you on route!
Aidan :D

Ps...Love your web page by the way Serena :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We haven't walked in October but in May, when temperatures might be similar. We find that a thinner fleece is good, with a second heavier windproof fleece. Our heavier fleeces are also reversible to give extra warmth if needed. This gives various options and at times we needed to wear both fleeces. When you stop walking you can chill quickly, particularly if there is a cold wind, if you do not have a good fleece to put on. We don't carry jackets, just ponchos and rain trousers for wet weather.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello!

I walked last year and hit Pamplona on October 3, I think. It was hot the day I walked in and it was hot for a few days after. However, it got cold and wet a few days before Burgos.

I am not a fan of heat but am a survivor of a close encounter with hypothermia. Being tall and skinny a perfect configuration for losing body heat when wet and cold. So all my past mountain hiking and back-country canoeing informed my clothing choices with which I was very happy.

About your list - and recognizing that no one answer is perfect for anybody.

beanie - I prefer a brimmed hat for the sunny days. I had one with built-in ear flaps for protection against wind.

lightweight gloves - yes - something that sheds water or doesn't lose insulation property when wet. I used half-finger gloves from Simms (flyfishing equipt) and was happy. If you get cold hands easily, get a thinsulate type of full glove.

Long sleeve wool shirt - I think I would ditch this in favor of a nylon, long-sleeve shirt. It is a good layer that you can peel down to when it is warmer. The full merino shirt would be too much for warmish days or even when it is cold and you are working hard on a climb under a a fleece and shell.

Warm/windproof fleece - yep

Light goretex/waterproof shell - sounds good in practice, I have not seen one yet. Either they are not breathable and you get wet and clammy underneath it, or it lets the water in after a bit. During my walk there were a few stretches of 4-5 days non-stop rain so maybe that is an extreme test. As I remember, everybody had one complaint or another about this part of their gear but realized that it could be accommodated with a bit of caution.

Altus Poncho - lots of debates on ponchos and I have no interest in being embroiled in them. Simply stated, after 30+ years of hiking, they are not for me. My pack had a rain cover, my coat went down to below my belt and I had rain pants.

This got me through to Santiago and over to Muxia/Finisterre and back by mid-November.

There is no 'perfect'. You are not going to be as isolated on the Camino as if you were taking a few days hike into the mountains nearest you. Relax and have fun planning!

Buen Camino!

B

I started in SJPdP late October and finished at Fisterra in mid December last year.

COLD is an acronym for Clean Overlapping Layers of Dry clothes. Dirt interferes with insulation. Overlapping is for light clothes in Layers which trap air as needed. Dry means you want to avoid getting the clothes wet; put a rain coat on when it rains and take a layer off if you are sweating. The target zone is where you are just about uncomfortable.

When you walk you generate a lot of heat. I often sweat on day hikes while wearing only a jacket even in temperatures not far above freezing.

You lose most of your heat where blood gets close to the surface. That means about 40% of heat loss is through your head. If your feet are cold, put on a tuque.

I carried a 100 weight fleece that got used on cooler days. A light weight tuque, scarf draped over the shoulders, and light wool gloves helped on the frosty mornings. Many afternoons I was in just a shirt and ball cap.

I carried a rain coat that got used in windy conditions with or without the fleece underneath.

I also carried a 300 weight fleece which only got used after the days walking was over. If it was below freezing this got worn with the 100 weight. I didn't get that cold of weather till late November. A 200 weight probably would have been sufficient. I am considering replacing this with a lighter down filled jacket such as the verto micro jacket which is half the weight.

You won't want a heavy fleece for walking. 100 weight fleece particularly with merino wool shirt will be more than enough. Its the evening wear that may be an issue.

serenalms,

I too have often walked the camino in late autumn and winter. Like whariwharangi and many veteran pilgrims I find LIGHTWEIGHT layers the way to go. My kit has evolved to be warm and cozy but still only 6.5 kilos. During eight caminos it has been comfortable in 'difficult' weather conditions including deep mud, heavy wind, lashing rain, freezing albergues and three true blizzards as well as walking in glorious golden sunshine. One important change made over time for safety is now the lightweight waterproof jacket is bright reflective yellow and for my next camino the poncho will be day-glo orange for maximum visibility in storms. Here is my kit list >> http://mermore.blogspot.fr/p/kit-and-tips.html

Whatever you plan to take be sure to test wearing and carrying it. Tried and true is better than new and never worn for all your camino gear.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
serenalms said:
The salesperson at North Face said that once I start walking, I'll likely hate having a thick fleece and will never want to wear it.

What happens in the evening when you aren't walking?

The problem with shoulder season is the days will range from cold to warm to cold. All during the course of one day. Layering helps here but you still need the stuff to layer.

Can you handle the weight? If not is shopping in Spain (they do sell clothes in Spain) going to be traumatic?

The advantage of 2 fleeces ( 300gms and 400gms) and poncho rather than 1 fleece and a jacket is that both fleeces can be worn on chilly evenings where a jacket might not be suitable.
Like Margaret my clothes layer well and my pack weight including 1lt of water is 6.5 kg. I would add here that I don't carry my sleeping bag, that would add 750gms.

In practise walks I carry my full load as if it was a hot dry day (ie both fleeces etc in my pack), even if that means also wearing an 'extra' fleece. Then I know what I can carry at full weight on the Camino.

I have high tec longjohns and long sleeved vest; not worn to walk in but for evenings and as pyjamas; lightweight quick drying shirts and underwear etc......My safety vest is mesh - I slit the sides and added tapes so it will go over my pack and poncho if needed.

For me it is the layering that works, not the thickness of individual items, apart from the reversible windproof fleece.

I carried and wore a light weight polar fleece jacket that was invaluable. The brand was Earth, Sea, Sky From New Zealand. And it is all about layers. Layer, layer, layer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
whariwharangi said:
I carried a rain coat that got used in windy conditions with or without the fleece underneath.

That's what I would be going for, too.

This April / May SJPdP to SdC - On a trip with walking temp +28c to -2c I wore my 200 weight fleece once when walking but every day when finished. It is all about having layer combinations

On most days I walked happily with Merino wool short sleeve base layer under a long sleeve Rohan shirt ( UV sun protection as well and I had a rain/sun hat and long lightweight trousers. If it was wet or windy I used a rain jacket

On cold mornings I wore a woollen beanie and wind proof gloves as you plan to do

One day on the Meseta the wind was bitter and I walked with the fleece as well. That day i wished i had a long sleeved base layer. One night in Albergue Hospital St Nicolas, (no heating) it was -5c and I slept in the fleece as well.

My preference is for a wind proof/rainproof jacket with lighter layers below - if I had had a 100 weight fleece I might have used it more but anything greater than 200 would have been too much for me.

Buen Camino

I walked last October. I took a couple of thin base layers, a thin fleece mid layer, a heavyweight fleece, a Rab down vest and a Goretex jacket. The heavyweight fleece was overkill, the rest I found just right.

The vest was great for early morning starts and evening wine drinking. I find I get cold on stops so it was useful for that too. Packed down into no weight or space.

I never bothered with gloves and even coming over the mountains where it was around freezing I never missed them.

I gradually dropped layers as I warmed up and even in the mountains I was walking in a tshirt as long as I kept moving.

By far stopping is the only time I feel cold and when I start layering up again then drop them as I get moving.

Stahing dry is the most important regardless of hot or cold weather. Wicking, breathable layers are essential and I'd far rather have a decent outdoor jacket than a cheap poncho.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
NicoZ said:
serenalms said:
The salesperson at North Face said that once I start walking, I'll likely hate having a thick fleece and will never want to wear it.

What happens in the evening when you aren't walking?

The problem with shoulder season is the days will range from cold to warm to cold. All during the course of one day. Layering helps here but you still need the stuff to layer.

Can you handle the weight? If not is shopping in Spain (they do sell clothes in Spain) going to be traumatic?

Well, I'm pretty petite so I'm trying to keep my weight down as much as possible. As far as shopping in Spain goes.... a reason to buy something new?! It won't be remotely traumatic for me (though I don't know if my husband will agree!) :)

Thank you everyone for all the great recommendations! It sounds like MULTIPLE lightweight layers is the way to go. Still torn on if I do merino wool or lighter fabric, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Off to REI this weekend to try on/stock up!

One thing we have all noticed is that there is no such thing as usual and expected when talking about weather. This years lack of Spring is just the last example. Weather is changing and I won't get into the why in order to prevent arguments. It may turn out to be a lovely warm autumn no rain no cold and then it may not. You came to the correct decision layers. Northface makes a thermal vest something synthetic and I hate synthetics, passionately, however merino under thermal vest and a mid weight fleece got me over the Aubrac plateau in a blizzard this spring not cold and no sweat. Layers are the answer with clothing that breathes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am also walking the Camino October -November and you are right that it is difficult planning what clothing to take--wool is always a good choice and layers. I would include a light fleece jacket and gore-Tex jacket--a light weight poncho is useful--especially if one gets stuck in bad weather--you can at least cover up and get out of the wind and rain for a bit--if it is cold it is important to be prepared and take what is needed to prevent hypothermia.

Layer, layer, layer. Light fleece outer layer for mornings and evenings. Also good rain system is important..ie Ferrano or 1st generation Altus.

Hola

If possible try get a shell jacket which has openings under the arm pits.
As stated, most often, generating heat is not the problem.
Getting rid of it is.
Arm pit ventilations are very useful.
Also. In my opinion. Go for wool during cold months- Gloves, with shell mitters, underwear, scarf, beanie. The property of wool is that it maintain insulation also while wet.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back