• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October journey

Jonathan

(This feels like sending some radio transmission into outer space when you have no idea if anyone is listening ....) I'm starting my first Camino from SJPDP at the end of September and plan on spending five to six weeks on the route. Chipping away at it, so-to-speak. I have many questions, most of which are being answered slowly by reading entries on this amazing site. Such a resevoir of experience. One thing though, will there be people around? I'm walking alone and like to talk.
Thanks
Jonathan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We are listening!
I walked from Roncesvalles in March which I considered to be "the off season" --perhaps like October. I felt it was perfect. It was never crowded but there were people if you wanted to be with them. I often liked walking on my own--mainly because it was hard for me to walk at a pace other than my own. But, on days that I chose to walk with someone there were people to walk with. I met a really wonderful group of friends. Usually, in the morning, we would plan where we would meet that evening and then walk on our own during the day. Or we'd walk part or all of the day together. It really depended. I must say that I am quite envious of your plan. I think October would be a perfect time to make a camino. I'm sure you have seen threads on this site about over crowding at the albergues and rushing to find a bed. I don't think you will find these problems in October. At least I hope not. In March it was very special as it seems there were so few of us. Some times there were just two of us at an albergue, but generally between 5-12 people. ( During Holy week and the last 100 km. from Sarria there were quite a few more but it was never crowded.) It really seemed like a close knit group. When we arrived in Santiago, friends who had arrived a couple of days before waited around a couple of days to greet us and we, in turn, stayed a few days to welcome those who came after us. You will have a wonderful experience.

I walked in October and half of November and found it to be a great time to walk. The massive throngs will have gone and there will be more than enough fellow pilgrims to make the 'Way' extremely interesting. I found most albergues still open and there was always room in them, even though some were still close to being full-Finisterre, for instance. Now it was cold that night in November, though. So, while you will have missed the wildflowers blooming in spring, you will walk through the massive vineyards during the harvest of the most delicious , as well as freshest, grapes you will have ever eaten, while crossing Navarra and La Rioja. October is a fine time to go. Going then, the cold of the higher elevations will still be bearable when you cross the mountains into Galicia and, walking the entire way in shorts is a direct possibility. I did so, anyway

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
About 9,500 arrived in Santiago in October 2007; about 2,500 arrived in November. That compares to 20,000 in June and 27,000 in July. The number of days with rain in October or November was about the same as May.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I can now imagine what it must be like to be at a bench in a lab, or a pew in a church, and to hear a reply to something you sent off in hope. Echoes from far away places you know nothing about. But echoes that coalesce so as to begin to make it all real. The thing that really strikes me profoundly every time I read anything on this site is the degree of compassion inherent in the words I find here. I don't think I have ever encountered anything like it.
Thank you then for those words of encouragement. Especially about the shorts! I have wanted to journey this road for many, many years and now that prospect is soon to be a reality. It will be a challenge though, to live the next few weeks mindful of each day.
Thank you again
Jonathan

My only caution about walking in March is the cold, the very real possibility of snow and the closure of albergues until the 'season' - usually May to October.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If it was me, I´d start right about the middle of March, and walk right into April. You are going to be rained-on, but you´ll have a decent amount of company then. (the camino frances seems to "wake up" right about halfway through March, after its December-to-February sleep.) Watch out for Holy Week, though!

Rebekah

Hello Jonathan, i will be starting the camino near the 26th of september, walking thru October Im leave from San Francisco and think we should expect a nice array of travelers during this time. I picked these months for the Harvest Season, Grapes, Cool Sunny Days, and to Witness the Introduction of Winter....ah....im at peace thinking of this now! Hope to see you! peace and love johnny

Hi Jonathan - as I've posted on Katkinca's October thread, I also will be walking in October - arriving in SJPP on 1st and starting walking on 2nd. Unfortunately I am very unfit so will be splitting the first leg in two days rather than one as I am a very slooooow walker at the best of times, never mind going uphill on the Route Napoleon! I am presently scouring several Camino forums and taking note of who is also walking in October so that if I do meet these people during my journey I'll kinda already "know" who they are (sort of!). I am an overweight black woman with a strong French accent so am quite easy to "recognise". If you do come across me, don't hesitate to say hi (as long as I am not asleep at the time!)

Isabelle

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
isabelle304 said:
Hi Jonathan - as I've posted on Katkinca's October thread, I also will be walking in October - arriving in SJPP on 1st and starting walking on 2nd. Unfortunately I am very unfit so will be splitting the first leg in two days rather than one as I am a very slooooow walker at the best of times, never mind going uphill on the Route Napoleon! I am presently scouring several Camino forums and taking note of who is also walking in October so that if I do meet these people during my journey I'll kinda already "know" who they are (sort of!). I am an overweight black woman with a strong French accent so am quite easy to "recognise". If you do come across me, don't hesitate to say hi (as long as I am not asleep at the time!)

Isabelle
Hi isabelle
We are starting camino at st j on 13th oct and walking for 30 days might cath you. What weather are you expecting? Are shorts worth taking?
PS, We are aussies.
cheers paulsandy

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back