• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October on Norte/Primitivo

sharon w

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
Have just finished walking from Le Puy to SJPDP. Now in Ciboure preparing to start Camino del Norte/Primitivo.
Some questions. Have read that from Irun to San Sebastián it is not well way marked. Is this still a problem?
Also, are these two routes more difficult than Le Puy to Conques?
Are there any other forum members walking these routes in October?
Thanks
Sharon

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Norte and Primitivo are both very well marked...that must have been a very old report that you read.
The Norte/Primitivo and the LePuy Route are very different in all ways including language.

The Norte (in my experience) is a bit less demanding than the LePuy Route.

I am impressed that you have walked the 1600km from LePuy to Santiago and then follow up with the 800km on the Norte.
You will enjoy the walk along the sea. Beautiful views everyday.
It is getting more crowded now but nothing like the CF.
Buen Camino.

Hi Grayland. Nothing so good. Have only done from Le Puy to St Jean Pied de Port and will walk from Ciboure tomorrow.
Thanks for your reply. You have allayed my fears about the difficult nature.
On the Le Puy route we met a young man who had walked from Istanbul and was on his way back. He had walked an amazing number of km. it was very humbling.
Sharon

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is always humbling to meet up with these people who have walked unbelievable distances. This year on the Primitivo we walked a bit with a couple of guys from Holland who had been walking for 3 months when we met them. They started somewhere on the other side of Holland. They were pretty anxious to meet their wives in SdC.
Still....the 800 km from LePuy and then follow it up with the 800 km on the Norte is very impressive and not so humbling..:cool:
Congratulations on a great Camino season.

Did the Northern and Primitive route last year : You're going to love it ! Beautiful countryside, sea views, overall well marked route (we had trouble only one day, after Deba).
No need to race to the albergue for a bed, solitude can be found walking if that's what you desire . . .

Buen Camino !!!!

Did the Northern and Primitive route last year : You're going to love it ! Beautiful countryside, sea views, overall well marked route (we had trouble only one day, after Deba).
No need to race to the albergue for a bed, solitude can be found walking if that's what you desire . . .

Buen Camino !!!!
I've only done two short caminos,one last year and a second one this year(Ingles and Sarria-SdC) but with more time available next year I am beginning to get the itch for the Norte as it seems to be a very pretty way and a lot less busy than the Frances. Is it a hard route to walk?

I've only done two short caminos,one last year and a second one this year(Ingles and Sarria-SdC) but with more time available next year I am beginning to get the itch for the Norte as it seems to be a very pretty way and a lot less busy than the Frances. Is it a hard route to walk?
Joe:

Overall the Norte is more difficult than the Frances, imo. There are a lot of 500m climbs, especially in the beginning. If you like beautiful seascapes the Norte is for you. There is a bit of hard surface walking. That said, the views, beautiful coastal towns, larger interesting cities like Bilbao and general variety of scenery make this, imo, a great Camino.

While the Norte is less traveled than the Frances, it does get crowded during the Summer months.

Ultreya,
Joe

Joe:

Overall the Norte is more difficult than the Frances, imo. There are a lot of 500m climbs, especially in the beginning. If you like beautiful seascapes the Norte is for you. There is a bit of hard surface walking. That said, the views, beautiful coastal towns, larger interesting cities like Bilbao and general variety of scenery make this, imo, a great Camino.

While the Norte is less traveled than the Frances, it does get crowded during the Summer months.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thanks,Joe. It sounds really nice.
Time to get to work on persuading my wife. She thinks it might be too far for us as she is 66 and I am 71,but like they say-'one step at a time' and 12 months to do some training!!
Joe.

I walked it from San Sebastian to Llanes and loved the first week or so due to the views. Another issue ypu ,au want to consider that adds to thr "difficulty" is that the distances between albergues can be longer than on other routes such as the Frances. And this is even more the case if you are walking outside of summer months since many albergues will be closed. So it does require more planning, but is it more difficult? I find each Camino a challenge, in fact I manage to find every day a challenge ;) so I say plan and go for it!

I walked it from San Sebastian to Llanes and loved the first week or so due to the views. Another issue ypu ,au want to consider that adds to thr "difficulty" is that the distances between albergues can be longer than on other routes such as the Frances. And this is even more the case if you are walking outside of summer months since many albergues will be closed. So it does require more planning, but is it more difficult? I find each Camino a challenge, in fact I manage to find every day a challenge ;) so I say plan and go for it!
My thoughts entirely,thanks for the info
Joe

Thanks,Joe. It sounds really nice.
Time to get to work on persuading my wife. She thinks it might be too far for us as she is 66 and I am 71,but like they say-'one step at a time' and 12 months to do some training!!
Joe.

Joe:

I am 65 and walked from San Sebastian in 29 days. I found the walk challenging at times but very doable. I never had issues with accommodations walking in the April time frame. I found the Gronze.com and Eroski sites very helpful in planning. The Norte offers many daily alternatives and intersects with the E-9 often. Lots of communal type Albergues, Guemes, Pendueles, Santa Cruz de Bezana and Casa Belen to name some I stayed in. A nice walk and one I plan to do again some day.

Ultreya,
Joe

Terry's comment to me after walking the Inglés in 2011 "If you can walk this you can walk the Primitivo" (He had already done so) Having walked the Primitivo in 2012 we again walked the Inglés this year and I too would now make the same comment. Choose your starting place for the Norte (ours was Santander/Barreda) and walk either the Norte or the Norte - Primitivo, making your own stages for distance and accommodation. There were 2 places where we did use transport to shorten the distance for me:- going into Fonsagrada and also into Cadabo. Most days were then a maximum of 20kms and 'doable'.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Terry's comment to me after walking the Inglés in 2011 "If you can walk this you can walk the Primitivo" (He had already done so) Having walked the Primitivo in 2012 we again walked the Inglés this year and I too would now make the same comment. Choose your starting place for the Norte (ours was Santander/Barreda) and walk either the Norte or the Norte - Primitivo, making your own stages for distance and accommodation. There were 2 places where we did use transport to shorten the distance for me:- going into Fonsagrada and also into Cadabo. Most days were then a maximum of 20kms and 'doable'.
Thank you for that info,20 km is about as far as I would comfortably want to walk and I'm now going to research this camino in a lot more depth
Cheers,Joe

Thank you for that info,20 km is about as far as I would comfortably want to walk and I'm now going to research this camino in a lot more depth
Cheers,Joe
Check out our blogs - listed below my posts - and then from the blog 'profile' you can also check out Terry's Walk to Compostela (Norte/Primitivo 2009). There is more infrastructure now than then. The CSJ guides and Gronze give up to date info on accomodation etc.

Well, easy it is not …There is frequent climb and descent on both routes, more so on the Primitivo. The first day out of Irun is one of the most scenic days, so it'll keep you going. There is good support on both routes (albergues and cafe's) so you can modify your distances as needed. I've never done the Frances so my only frame of reference is the Northern/Primitivo; I did it in May '14. There were days I walked alone, meeting a few pilgrims on the way; the busiest was probably 10-15 folks; you all end up meeting at the albergue

Buen Camino !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There seem to be many pelegrinos on this route. Last night in Deba, the albergue was almost full. There were others staying in pensions around town.
Just a warning. If it is wet, don't follow the red/white markings (GRroute) into Deba. It is very strenuous and there has been a land slip in one place coming into town.

Hello Sharon and Chris and Bob.
We made it to Pamplona last Wednesday and we are now home.
We meet Esther, a young girl, who has walked from Holland, the night before SJPP and she was thinking of walking the North route. She walks alone and is very sweet.
Miss you guys and the way.
Buen Camino!

Glad to know you are safely home. Will look out for Esther.
What is the site for your Primitivo blog? I must have made an error trying to access it.
Miss you too. It was great to have crossed paths with you many times. Literally! I guess that is what makes the Camino so special.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back