• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October Primitivo Gear

crbonade

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo (2022)
Hello,

My step mom and I will be walking the Primitivo next October (2020). I have a bunch of gear already from other hikes, but she's planning to buy a bunch of stuff during fall sales this year. With that in mind, we're looking for some feedback on Primitivo gear for the fall. We're planning on staying in private albergues/hotels (I'm a miserably light sleeper, so we're avoiding open bays).

Sleeping bags - we're both planning on bringing a Sea to Summit Traveller (50 degree). I'm assuming there'll be blankets available in most private albergues, right? So I'm thinking we shouldn't need anything heavier...

Rain pants - right now we're not planning on bringing them - just bringing a rain shell for wet weather. Should we rethink this for the Primitivo? We don't typically mind wet pants/hiking in the rain, just wondering if it'll be cold enough rain to want to have rain pants.

Towels - will private albergues always have these on the Primitivo? If so, we'll prob each just bring a small muslin 'towel' just in case our stages change last minute and we have to change lodging plans.

Doe anyone have preferences on using shower bars for laundry vs a concentrated liquid soap? (I have a tiny bottle of campsuds at home, wondering if that might be easier to use than a shower bar)

I'll probably come up with other random gear questions, but this'll do for now. Thanks in advance!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,

My step mom and I will be walking the Primitivo next October (2020). I have a bunch of gear already from other hikes, but she's planning to buy a bunch of stuff during fall sales this year. With that in mind, we're looking for some feedback on Primitivo gear for the fall. We're planning on staying in private albergues/hotels (I'm a miserably light sleeper, so we're avoiding open bays).

Sleeping bags - we're both planning on bringing a Sea to Summit Traveller (50 degree). I'm assuming there'll be blankets available in most private albergues, right? So I'm thinking we shouldn't need anything heavier...

Rain pants - right now we're not planning on bringing them - just bringing a rain shell for wet weather. Should we rethink this for the Primitivo? We don't typically mind wet pants/hiking in the rain, just wondering if it'll be cold enough rain to want to have rain pants.

Towels - will private albergues always have these on the Primitivo? If so, we'll prob each just bring a small muslin 'towel' just in case our stages change last minute and we have to change lodging plans.

Doe anyone have preferences on using shower bars for laundry vs a concentrated liquid soap? (I have a tiny bottle of campsuds at home, wondering if that might be easier to use than a shower bar)

I'll probably come up with other random gear questions, but this'll do for now. Thanks in advance!

Hiya,

A few points. Never assume there will be blankets available. Much more likely in private albergues but not guaranteed. Private rooms in private albergues will though I am sure.

Rain pants are awful to walk in, you will get wet anyway. Never met anyone wearing them. Better to get your legs wet and dry out later in my opinion. Walking will keep you warm, the Primitivo is not exactly flat.

I use a bar soap that is good for me and my clothes. Reduce weight by getting dual use from one item (like my shemagh is both a scarf and my towel). Search 'soap' in the search option for recommendations.

Check the weather just before you go over the Hospitales route. If it is really bad it may be better to take the Pola de Allande route. (Very pretty too).

Sounds great getting to walk with your mum!

Buen Camino
Davey

I have worn rain pants on the Camino and didn't notice much difference from my hiking pants. I have also seen many other pilgrims wearing them, it is a matter of personal choice. My rain pants did keep me dry, they cost about $50 at Big 5 and matched the jacket that I also bought there. I wouldn't recommend too many of their other hiking items but, their poles are OK if you want an inexpensive pair.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It looks like May and October average temperatures are similar.
I have always carried a pair of light weight silk gloves and a lightweight pair of rain over-trousers (Regatta - in UK). They were useful for keeping the cold wind off when first walking in the morning and easy to remove as I warmed up. i just made sure when I bought them that they would come off (or go on) without having to remove my boots. Meant buying a size larger than I would wear normally and I tried them on in the shop.
Hat - my Tilley hat kept sun off as well as wind so I did not need anything else.
I carried a small bottle of liquid shampoo and used that for washing/laundry but also carried a small piece of ordinary soap as well.

I haven't walked the Primitivo yet, but I doubt you'll find towels in the albergues. I can count on one hand the number of albergues (only private ones) which had towels available (to rent, not included in the price of a bed) on the Frances and Norte. I don't imagine that the Primitivo albergues will be any different in this regard.

My Salomon hiking paints are water resistant but breathe well, I use gaiters forvwet muddy days. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Take microfibre towels. Few private albergues provide towels and none of the municipal ones do. My experience in the Primitivo during the second half of August this year is that all albergues offered blankets but when the nights get colder there might not be enough blankets for everybody. So take a sleeping bag.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll definitely swap my teeny muslin Square for a more towel-sized muslin (still lighter than a microfiber towel but plenty to dry me thoroughly).

I'll have to keep pondering the rain pants; seems very personal preference. Hard for me to make decisions on what I'll want in 40-60 degree (F) weather when it's still in the high 90s here lol.

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.