• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

October v May

Rod

I find myself in a position where I can walk the Camino in either October this year or May next Year. I have had to postpone the journey now twice and am becoming very frustrated but is starting out on the 5th October a bit ambitious?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.

I started planning only a week and a half ago, four weeks before the flight. I say book the plane ticket, and if you don't go you are out of hundreds of dollars.

The most important part of any journey is...well, you know the rest.

Good luck,

--Neil

Rod said:
I find myself in a position where I can walk the Camino in either October this year or May next Year. I have had to postpone the journey now twice and am becoming very frustrated but is starting out on the 5th October a bit ambitious?

Rod, I walked from Leon to Santiago from 3rd October 2006 to 21st. Had a great time. The weather was great for walking (very like an Irish autumn. It was wet for the last few days. When I say wet, it was unbelievably so and I'm from Ireland! Some people were walking on to Finesterra and those following behind me would have been walking right into early November without any bother. If you want to read about my experiences throughout the walk, try my blog on mycaminooctober2006.blogspot.com. May the road rise before you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
John H, Thanks. I will most definitly have a look at your blog. I hopefully will be finalising my flight out of Melbourne to Dublin tomorrow, arriving in Dublin on the 2nd October and then across to start from SJPdP on the 5th
I can wait no longer

Hi Rod,
Good choice of season! I may be near SJPP at around the same time. I'm starting from Le Puy in early September (10th I'd say) so might see you out there!

I'll check in here as I go so if we happen to be there at the same time we can meet up.

Cheers,
Alex

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Finally made the big commitment, fly out of Melbourne on 1 Oct for Dublin, then on to SJPdP 4 Oct - start my journey 5 Oct. giving myself 37 days to finish - Hopefully our paths will cross Alex. Also would love to hear from anyone else who will be out and about at this time.
Enjoy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
To help you to choose:

Weather is much better in may than in October.
Sunlight time is quite longer in may than in october.
More pilgrims in may than in october.
In october you will enjoy the autumn beauty, the special colors of trees in autumn.
Dificult but possible to see snow in Cebreiro and Foncebadón in may ... and in october.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.