• Some parts of the forum is not leading as it should. We are working on it.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

October weather?

Shakey

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances-'15, '16, '17, '19
Porto-SdC-'15, '17
Le Puy-'16
Rota V-'19
Plata-'19
Francigena (Lucca)-'19
My husband and I will be walking 10-12 days of the Camino starting on October 6th, somewhere between Pamplona and Leon. We did SJPDP to Finisterre beginning May 4th and have a few questions about early fall weather and traffic, as in what to expect for both. Should we prepare for cold and rainy weather that would require thermal layers?
Thank you for any advice you can provide!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In October I found it to be rainy, very heavy at times but not cold, I didn't need thermals - but then i'm acclimatised to Scottish weather and 15C is a warm day for us!

My husband and I will be walking 10-12 days of the Camino starting on October 6th, somewhere between Pamplona and Leon. We did SJPDP to Finisterre beginning May 4th and have a few questions about early fall weather and traffic, as in what to expect for both. Should we prepare for cold and rainy weather that would require thermal layers?
Thank you for any advice you can provide!
Hi Shakey, the weather can go in all dirctions. You can never tell? ??
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pack clothes you can layer.
No need for anything heavy - walking 5 minutes will warm you up and you'll be peeling things off.
No coat - I'd take a lightweight windbreaker, a lightweight beanie or hat, and maybe a buff.

I have walked many times in October, usually arriving between 15 th and 20th and the weather has been different each time! One time we walked the entire way from roncevalles to Santiago, without seeing one drop if rain. Another time, we sloshed into Santiago. Other times, it's been variable. You will be walking further back on the Camino, which might, but not surely, give you some respite from the rain. It will probably get a bit colder as you walk from one week to the next.
Sorry, can't be much help! It's anyone's guess!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As Anniesantiago mentions, wear your clothes in layers, easy to remove as you warm up by walking. I would suggest a pair of gloves for that first nip in the morning.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As others have said, you should prepare for all weather - from warm and sunny, to cold and rainy - with multiple thin layers. Last year I used all of my items, including sun screen and light t-shirt for hot days, thin gloves, merino buff, rain gear and 2 in-between layers. All of these went on and off over the course of the day.

Back