• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oddball questions

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP 2023
I know this will seem like I'm trying to play "Stump Kiwinomad" but I'm not, really! We have a group of 5 leaving Le Puy on 6 September, with some peeling off in Aumont-Aubrac and one joining up there, hoping to make Moissac. We are progressing well in our planning, but I still have a few unanswered questions:

1) I have the MMDD and the Cicerone Press guide; I also have the French IGN topographic maps. Do I need to take all that? Can I get by with copies of some of it?

2) Is there a list somewhere of market days for market towns on the route?

3) I know about the "rain in Spain being mainly in the plain", but what about in France? is the rain mostly light (mist, drizzle) or occasional heavy downpours?

4) On average, how many days would there be between ATM opportunities?

5) Have you ever needed to make an equipment repair that duct tape wouldn't handle? I've been looking at repair kits that have spare zippers, fabric patches, etc etc.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just a quick reply before I am off out :)
1) I wouldn't take the maps in my pack- I found the MMD detailed enough..... but since you have five in your group, you might be able to con someone else into carrying them ;-)

3) You are going to cross the Aubrac Plateau, which is at quite a high altitude. Although it is 'still summer', like any mountain you should really be prepared for anything. I certainly struck decent rain on this section, ie I got drenched.

4) The MMD guide has a symbol for where there are ATMs. They occur with reasonable frequency.

2 and 5 have stumped this nomad, but someone else might know!
Margaret

I used only the Cicerone guide when I walked. I didn't use the MMDD - I looked at the copies that every Tourist Office has on hand if I needed it. I found the Cicerone guide useful and VERY explicit. Maps are not good - just a sketch really, but the words make up for it, but neither are they very clear with the MMDD either. I took some photo copies of the relevant pages from the road atlas which I binned as I finished them, and they were useful a couple of times - particularly useful for naming towns etc in the distance that don't get a mention in any guides.

I walked in August (began on the 5th) and only had 2 rainy days - more showers, and the rest was hot and humid - even on the Aubrac! Heavy thundery clowds would appear every afternoon (and occasionally thunder) but usually no rain.

Market days are often listed in ordinary guides for the bigger towns. Guides such as the DK guides, Frommers, Michelin, Lonely Planet etc. They are useful to read just to get oddball answers to oddball questions that you might not have thought about! I check each guide before I go and list things like that on my itinerary. The other thing is the internet. There is one website that you can type in the name of the town, get the popluation, and other information. Also try the tourist office websites for the specific towns - they usually have info like that. It is time consuming but you find out other info you may not find anywhere else.

question 5 - I wouldn't worry too much about repair kits. You are not going to a third would country and so long as you start off with good gear there should be no difficulties - and if there is you can usually find a shop withing a couple of days at least (and just manage in the meantime). Though I use duct tape for repairs when bush walking I have never bothered to take it with me on the Camino, Cheers, Janet

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I carried Raju and the map, my brother carried MMDD. Raju and the map do not have accommodation information. Copies of the section you are walking are all you need from MMDD, mostly for the phone numbers and off-route accommodations. The map is good when you decide to deviate from the marked path, which we did with some frequency; also for when you get lost. Considering the ounces that the map weighs, I found it was worth the weight. Always be prepared for rain. I have never needed an equipment repair. A companion shattered his carbon trekking pole, which cannot be repaired. He bought metal replacements so he could unbend them if necessary.

Kitsambler:

Thank you for your questions. I am ordering the appropriate guidelines based on your questions. Can't help on the responses since I am planning to start walking at about the same time time as you, starting in Le Puy. Perhaps we will connect. All the best.

Frood

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
tamtamplin said:
? wtf is mmdd

Lol!!

Miam-Miam Dodo(mmdd).

The famous guide book on accommodations for the Camino Francés in Spain and other routes in France.

Bon appétit,
Jean-Marc

Re market days.

French are pretty good at promoting their commune/area/department so google up the tourist office for the areas you are passing through and you should be able to find this information.

Might make a good exercise for group members to familiarise themselves with the areas they will be passing through.

michael

"Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back