• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oekumenischer Pilgerweg in Germany

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Has anybody walked this camino in Germany?

In the medieval trade route Oekumenischer Pilgerweg or Ecumenical Pilgrimage in Germany follows the Via Regia.

The ecumenical pilgrimage is based on the historical course of the Via Regia and continues the story of the pilgrims of centuries past. Santiago de Compostela, the yellow clam has a blue background, and thus serves as a marker of the 450-kilometer road from Görlitz to Vacha.

http://www.oekumenischer-pilgerweg.de/

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, I am Planning on walking this route in August 2014, have ordered the guide book, still have to post my blog about the Via Jacobi....from September....2013...

Hi gittiharre

Look forward to reading your reports on this route - I might want to do this route next year around October.

Should be fun especially with the beer festivals going on at that time of the year.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This route is a new one for me. I am American but live in Germany. I joined the forum last January after "lurking" for several months. In February, I was on a "Volksmarch" with my local club to Rothenburg ob de Taub. Imagine my excitement upon seeing my first real Camino shell and yellow arrow, by the old town walls, surrounded by snow, stuck on a post. It was pointing my way to Santiago, and I hadn't even committed to buying my ticket yet! Most people walked right by it, not knowing what it was. But I sure did.
The rest is history.
Kathy

This route is a new one for me. I am American but live in Germany. I joined the forum last January after "lurking" for several months. In February, I was on a "Volksmarch" with my local club to Rothenburg ob de Taub. Imagine my excitement upon seeing my first real Camino shell and yellow arrow, by the old town walls, surrounded by snow, stuck on a post. It was pointing my way to Santiago, and I hadn't even committed to buying my ticket yet! Most people walked right by it, not knowing what it was. But I sure did.
The rest is history.
Kathy

Hi Kathy

The route is part of the Via Regia or the King's highway that stretched from what was Eastern Europe and Poland throughout Western Europe to Paris and south to Spain and then along what is now called the camino Frances

Jirit, thanks. It sounds like this route runs north of where I am (Stuttgart). Here, the nearest route to Santiago is known by the generic "Jakobsweg," as you noted in Austria. It is eye-opening to realize that folks walked from Poland to Paris, then south to Spain. I guess everyone who walked out their front door and headed out began a new "Camino" route. You've walked extensively. Was it difficult finding accomodations on the lesser known Caminos? Did you walk to Santiago on each one?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Jirit, thanks. It sounds like this route runs north of where I am (Stuttgart). Here, the nearest route to Santiago is known by the generic "Jakobsweg," as you noted in Austria. It is eye-opening to realize that folks walked from Poland to Paris, then south to Spain. I guess everyone who walked out their front door and headed out began a new "Camino" route. You've walked extensively. Was it difficult finding accomodations on the lesser known Caminos? Did you walk to Santiago on each one?

Each walk I did was different.

For the Spanish walks I arrived in Santiago but for others I arrived elsewhere.
For example, for the Via Francigena we arrived in Rome.
In France it was Lourdes and for Austria it was the Swiss border town of Feldkirk.

Likewise accommodation varied too.;

Albergues and small hostals in Spain, pensions and guest houses in Austria and a mixture of places from monasteries, convents, hostels, pensions, etc in Italy.

Sorted for the Via Regia walk, flying out of Auckland early August next year. Just got the guidebook sent out from Germany and it is lovely, hand drawn beautiful little maps, lots of cheap accommodation for pilgrims, interesting historical villages and towns. people are meant to be very friendly and no bedbugs!, lots of natural paths especially between Gorlitz and Leipzig. Watch this space!
By the way my Via Jacobi Blog is now up on www.gittiharre.blogspot.co.nz with link to pics.

Last edited:
Hi gittiharre

My wife who walked the Via Jacobi through Switzerland back in 2010 just returned from Spain. So we both look forward to checking over your blog

I am sure you have seen this website?

http://www.oekumenischer-pilgerweg.de/index.php

Looks like this route in Germany should be great to walk, based on what I have read from others (including a few that have done it a number of times)

Might try to find some time in the fall next year to do it ourselves too

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Jirit, yes the website is great, it is where I ordered my guidebook, it arrived 5 days later all the way to New Zealand containing an invoice for payment, unbelievable trust, I have never had this happen before!

HI Gitti, as always I love your blog! Beautiful pictures as well. Thanks. Enjoy your preparations for Via Regia! Dolfina

Hi gitti

This is great blog. I think we may know a mutual Canadian friend - Dawn from BC

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks guys, how do you know Dawn, did you meet on the trail? I met her on day one of my first Camino in 2006 in Roncesvalles and we ended up in Santiago on the same day.

Dawn and I live in the same city of Victoria and we part of the same camino crowd here in Victoria BC

We initially met through the Via Francigena forum a few ago, but discovered we lived in the same city and we have been friends since.

I remembered when I discussed doing the Jakobsweg in Austria (did it in 2010) that she knew a person from New Zealand that had just done it. After reading your blog --- some little light went off and I thought is the same person?

Small world eh?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
While digging around my computer looking for links I had bookmarked on another route (the Lycian Way) I came across some links for this trail

Thought they might be of use for those that might be considering doing this route:

http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes/details/regia.html

http://www.deutsche-jakobswege.de/oekumenischer-pilgerweg.html

http://www.goerlitz-tourismus.de/2010/05/oekumenischer-pilgerweg-goerlitz-vacha/

http://www.wanderkompass.de/sachsen/okumenischer-pilgerweg.html

http://www.via-regia.org/pilgern/verlauf.php

jirit, noticed your 2008 Jakobsweg Austria, did you do a blog on it. I would love to read it or any information you have. I was born in Villach. I would like to know a bit more about it. I totally ignored die Jakobswege as a child. thanks Ingrid

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Ingrid

Actually I did not blog about my walk in Austria.

But basically I walked from Salzburg to Feldkirch Austria, then took the train into Switzerland to meet my wife who had just finished walking the Jakobsweb in Switzerland.

I can certainly provide you with my walking plan, and the accommodation list (places I booked prior and along the way), and a brief summary of the walk

Cheers

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.