• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Off I go...

Rich1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (5/15)
Frances & Muxia (2016-18)
Camino from Madrid (9/18)
Frances to Burgos (9/19)
TBC
So after months of dedicated planning, I fly out to Madrid on Monday...without much of a plan :)

Camino Madrid onto Salvador, then Primitivo as far as time permits, before meeting daughter in Lugo, bus to Sarria and walking the last section to Santiago together.

Feels like my first Camino with the lack of plan and lack of knowledge of the route...and that’s good. The last 3 years, walking the Frances with Mrs Rich have been more planned - with the first few days accommodation always booked, and generally booking ahead for the next day as I always felt responsible for putting a roof over our heads (and 2 beds harder to be sure of than 1).

So, apart from flights, nothing booked and I’ll just go with the flow.

Having said that, I’m not feeling hugely motivated. One of my best friends took his own life in July which has affected me so much...it’s just so sad...such a waste. I will be walking with him in my heart. Knee is knackered too...years of running are finally catching up. I just hope the Camino will provide me with the the energy and peace that always seems to flow along it.

Just need to get going :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
May it be a time of healing and rejuvenation for you.
Could I suggest you walk from Lugo with your daughter? You'll reach the Frances in a couple of days anyway;-) And you might be in the walking frame of mind that does not want to hop on a bus prematurely!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
May it be a time of healing and rejuvenation for you.
Could I suggest you walk from Lugo with your daughter? You'll reach the Frances in a couple of days anyway;-) And you might be in the walking frame of mind that does not want to hop on a bus prematurely!
Hadn’t considered that - but i don’t think Lugo to SdC ticks the 100km box for her - she’s flying into SDC and bussing it to Lugo

Out of curiosity, why won't you guys start the walk in Lugo? It is also 100km from Santiago. :)
I didn’t think it quite made the 100km mark??

I didn’t think it quite made the 100km mark??

If you start from outside the old city wall, it does. :) The city centre is like 99.something-km, So if you guys are meeting at the train station, that should already be enough.

Maybe @t2andreo can confirm this, as he was volunteering at the Pilgrim's office last month.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Rich,

Don't worry about (not enough) planning. Camino de Madrid has good infrastructure but is still considered as one of the less walked Caminos so there are a lot of chance to be the only one in albergue in half of them. Which along with flat terrain after Segovia would give you a lot of time for contemplation over your friend's fate.

It's good that you choose Madrid for the start because of your knee. The downhill over Guadarrama Ridge to Segovia isn't really tough/steep and is on very soft surface. And then all is flat more or less. People are friendly and you'll have a nice Camino. And by the time you will hit first (hilly) part of Salvador and then Primitivo you will be much fitter.

Anyway if some issue appears there is always someone from the CdM/Salvador/Primitivo alumni group here on the forum on-line and could help you.

Wish you Buen Camino!

So after months of dedicated planning, I fly out to Madrid on Monday...without much of a plan :)

Camino Madrid onto Salvador, then Primitivo as far as time permits, before meeting daughter in Lugo, bus to Sarria and walking the last section to Santiago together.

Feels like my first Camino with the lack of plan and lack of knowledge of the route...and that’s good. The last 3 years, walking the Frances with Mrs Rich have been more planned - with the first few days accommodation always booked, and generally booking ahead for the next day as I always felt responsible for putting a roof over our heads (and 2 beds harder to be sure of than 1).

Having said that, I’m not feeling hugely motivated. One of my best friends took his own life in July which has affected me so much...it’s just so sad...such a waste. I will be walking with him in my heart. Knee is knackered too...years of running are finally catching up. I just hope the Camino will provide me with the the energy and peace that always seems to flow along it.

Go well. I walked Madrod to Oviedo in June.
The day into Segovia was tough. Very long stage and inevitable, missed La Granja turn off, but that wouldn't have saved much. There are some stretches where you need to carry food for dinner boast and lunch as there is nothing in villages and bars, if there is one don't always serve food. It is a lonely route. Only met 8 other pilgrims in 18 days. More life on the Salvador.
Segovia was my highlight on Madrid route. Worth a rest day. Stayed at Hostal Natura.
Take care grieving, you will likely be alone a lot of the time unless you miraculously bump into someone compatible.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

That is exactly how I like to do it too. I wish you safe travels and Buen Camino!

Rich:

Planning not really needed on the Madrid. I only encountered two other Pilgrims my entire walk. Never had any issues with accommodation. This will not be anything like the Frances

San Salvador is also sparsely traveled. Primitivo is more moderately traveled.

The only difficult day on the Madrid is Cercedilla to Segovia (31km's). A nice walk with mountains, Pine forests and Meseta.

San Salvador is more hilly but very beautiful.

Primitivo is also very hilly and beautiful with the mountains to the south. I do not believe accommodation will be an issue on any of these routes.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks to all for the kinds words of support and advice - much appreciated.

Getting quite excited now - you know, in that pre-Camino can't sit still and can't stop checking and repacking kit kind of way :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So I just thought I’d do a weeny bit of planning and email Ray y Rosa, but, oh no, they are away :eek:
That’ll teach me...back to minimalistic planning for me ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wonder if Rich1 has started his camino?

Sorry to keep you all in suspense...yes I have!

I've had an interesting few days to put it mildly and I think may easier to comment when I've got more than a phone to tap. Suffice to say it's been an entertaining insight into the workings of my brain :rolleyes:

Sorry not though I am still walking my way to meet my daughter. I'm just not where I thought I would be ;);)

I've had an interesting few days to put it mildly and I think may easier to comment when I've got more than a phone to tap. Suffice to say it's been an entertaining insight into the workings of my brain :rolleyes:

Sorry not though I am still walking my way to meet my daughter. I'm just not where I thought I would be ;);)
So where are you? In Leon?
If you took a train from Segovia to Valladolid/Leon today you obviously won't finish Camino de Madrid?

you are surely keeping us in suspense! well done, safe walking, and happy meeting up with your daughter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can't wait to hear about it as I am hoping to complete my aborted Camino Madrid next April.

I was looking forward to following this route but it looks like there will be no more updates…..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was looking forward to following this route but it looks like there will be no more updates…..
If I understood correctly from another thread @Rich1 trained from Segovia to Leon. He wasn't back on the forum much since then.

I will write some more about my Camino montage when I get home, but in essence I walked to Segovia, trained to Leon, did a bit of the Salvador, came back to Leon, joined the Frances (for reasons that became apparent to me), and am now in Gonzar having eaten my fill of chorizo and drunk a bottle of wine.

Plan now is to walk to Melide, then backtrack on the Primitivo to Lugo where I will meet Miss Rich. Then bus to Sarria and walk from there. It's her first Camino journey so starting in Sarria is just fine.

So...in summary...it's been one hell of a journey but I am now on the right road :)

I will write some more about my Camino montage when I get home, but in essence I walked to Segovia, trained to Leon, did a bit of the Salvador, came back to Leon, joined the Frances (for reasons that became apparent to me), and am now in Gonzar having eaten my fill of chorizo and drunk a bottle of wine.

Plan now is to walk to Melide, then backtrack on the Primitivo to Lugo where I will meet Miss Rich. Then bus to Sarria and walk from there. It's her first Camino journey so starting in Sarria is just fine.

So...in summary...it's been one hell of a journey but I am now on the right road :)
As long as you're enjoying it all is well. And will be!

But you are one lucky guy. If I would be able to find Miss Rich I guess I'd be on Camino twice each year ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
But you are one lucky guy. If I would be able to find Miss Rich I guess I'd be on Camino twice each year ;)

Oh, I am very lucky...I have Mrs Rich at home too :)

I don’t like that it has been one hell of a journey, but yes I like seeing that you are on the ‘right road’, and on the way to meet your daughter.

Yes, "Hell" was not the best word to use. It has been an interesting Camino with many ups and downs - literal and metaphoric!

However I have had several Camino moments and meetings that have shown me why I am walking this way at this time. The Camino is wonderful like that .

So I am a happy Rich...even on this misty, drizzly Galician morning

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back