• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Off the beat tracks, alone with myself

Manon_Tatjana

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
Hello community,

I'm looking for a pilgrim trail that is completely off the beaten path where I can truly be alone in nature and with myself. It should be somewhere in July in Europe and take roughly 3 weeks. Can also be Eastern or Northern Europe.

I'd also prefer to camp instead of sleeping in the auberges. Is that possible anywhere?

Can anyone recommend anything?

Grateful for any tip!

Have a wonderful day
Manon

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Manon_Tatjana Walking off season will help. I walked Camino de Madrid and met very very few people (ie other walkers) walking in May and November. But I met lots of local people. ;) French section of Via Francigena - very few. Francigena del Sud from Rome to Brindisi, less again. Via Egnatia Dürres to Thessaloniki less again.....

Last edited:
Your description fits my camino de Invierno. Ist half of May 2018. I didn’t really see other pilgrims. Once (overtaken by 2 peregrinos with a ‘hi’) but saw no others. Not even at close of day. I enjoyed it completely as I was ready for one like that -/ but / it can be just a timing thing.
With the Invierno ., you still finish in Santiago de Compostela and you can even make it longer by adding Finisterre muxia at the end or Camino Madrid before (which was my combo )

Or you could choose to start the Via de la plata from Sevilla or Mérida. You can choose to be alone as much as you want if you’re not walking peak time on that one.

For my future - I keep looking at possibly walking a part of Via Regia in Germany for a week to check it out but no definite plans - I’ve read many reports (in particular by @SYates onthe forum here) . She has notes starting from Görlitz just inside Germany on border of Poland.

Good luck
Would love to hear what your end plan is.

Annie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Aragones is worth considering, especially if you start in Oloron St Marie. But not in high summer.

Camino Olvidado - Bilbao to Ponferrada, 500km, 20 days +/-. From all I've read unlikely to meet more than one or two pilgrims in the time

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello community,

I'm looking for a pilgrim trail that is completely off the beaten path where I can truly be alone in nature and with myself. It should be somewhere in July in Europe and take roughly 3 weeks. Can also be Eastern or Northern Europe.

I'd also prefer to camp instead of sleeping in the auberges. Is that possible anywhere?

Can anyone recommend anything?

Grateful for any tip!

Have a wonderful day
Manon
You could try St.Olav’s Way From sundsvall to Trondheim (guide books available in English). I went last August with a friend and we met 5 or 6 other pilgrims. We didn’t camp but stayed in some pretty primitive pilgrim shelters and hunting cabins (as well as people’s homes and small “albergues”).
It was a great walk and friendly and helpful people along the way.
The have a Facebook page if you want to check it out too,
Good luck!

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.