• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Off the Way

gatothecat

Well, that was quick. After getting one sello in my credential, it appears that I'm done. :-(.

I left Porto in mist and light rain Tuesday, in good spirits despite the weather as it was forecast to clear up in a couple of days (and it has). My pack was 2 lbs too heavy due to some consumables that would go away as the days progressed but I figured it was no big deal. I planned to turn off towards Vilar do Pinheiro to stay at Santa Marinha but missed my turn and overshot by a couple K then turned around and found the turn. By then I had severe pain in my left heel, and Tuesday night I could barely hobble to a restaurant a half block away. Despite ice and stretching it didn't get better overnight so I made my way by bus to Barcelos, where I'm ensconced in the very nice Hotel Bagoeira.

On the advice of a friend I'm treating myself for tendinitis - ice, massage, stretching. This morning it was better and I was optimistic that I would be able to take it easy for another day and try again Saturday. However by this afternoon I'm struggling again and couldn't get a half hour down the trail sans pack (as a test). So it looks like it's time to admit defeat and make other plans. As this is likely the only opportunity I'll have to do this, I'm extremely disappointed. And, now I have to figure out what to do until my return home on the 25th. Since I guess I'm just a tourist now and not a peregrinha going on to Santiago by bus doesn't seem appreciate, and sounds depressing since I'd be watching all the pilgrims arrive and wouldn't be a part of it.

As they say, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade - so, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might do while here? I'm really enjoying Portugal and the Portuguese language so I'm thinking that maybe I should just try to sight see here - maybe a couple of days each in Ponte de Lima and Viana do Castelo? This morning I took pictures at the wonderful Barcelos market, and tomorrow I'm taking the bus to Braga for the day.

I'm having trouble imagining things to do that don't involve walking, since I'm normally one of those people who never stops moving. Maybe that will be my Camino lesson ...

Enough now. Later I'll do another post about lessons learned relating to some training mistakes I think I made.

I was so looking forward to walking through Portugal!

Cynthia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Guimaraes might also catch your interest, or Citania de Briteiros. And Braga has its own pilgrimage site, the Bom Jesus.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to Braga today; I'd heard that Guimaraes was interesting but didn't know about the archaeological site ... Maybe a couple of nights in Guimares is in order.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
To crackmrmac (Brian) - thanks for the PM. I tried to reply but got a software error (reported to Ivar). I really appreciated your kind words.

Cynthia

O and there is a lovely Romanesque church near Ponte de Barca: the Church of S. Salvador de Bravães. If you go into that direction, be sure to check it out.

I you want to get of your feet ... take the train along the Douro, at least to Pinhao. The views are great, it's much cheaper than a cruise, and you find yourself in a completely different world than the flatter lands near the coast.

I went to Braga today and yes, Bom Jesus is beautiful and a worthy pilgrimage site. I was very moved. And things work out - I wouldn't have seen it if I were on the Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Soliwo, the train trip sounds like an excellent idea! I'll have to see if I can work it in. I may be taking a train to Madrid anyway as my flight out is on a Friday, and the OPO-MAD leg is run by Iberia. I guess their Friday/Monday strike is still on as I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

My current plan (I should call it the Lemonade Tour) is go to Viana do Castelo tomorrow and spend a few nights there with a day trip to Ponte de Lima. Then to Valença for a few nights, with either a day trip or a night in Vigo. Then a train to Guimaraes for two or thee nights with a day trip to Citania de Briteiros, then a train back to Porto.

I need to get *something* to wear besides Camino clothes, though - at least a pair of sandals!

Cynthia

Redondela has a pretty decent square for people watching whilst sipping beer.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Valenca? Well its in Portugal true but right acrossthe bridge is Tui somewhat nicer and do consider Pontevedra one of my favorite towns along the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back