• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Off Topic--An American Transiting Through Europe

RobertS26

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, (2013)
Camino Frances, (2014)
Camino Frances, (2015)
Hello Everyone,

Please excuse the off topic nature of my post but I need accurate information as soon as possible and I am sure someone on this Forum knows the correct answer. I am getting ready to travel from the United States to Zimbabwe. I know there are those who think this is dangerous and selfish. But please understand that this trip is necessary.

Getting there is relatively easy. I can fly on Ethiopian Airlines nonstop from Chicago to Addis Ababa where I connect for a nonstop flight to Victoria Falls. I have checked with the Ethiopian government, and I am allowed to transit through Bole international airport in Addis Ababa without a recent Covid-19 test, visa, or a yellow fever immunization as long as I stay on the secure side of the airport.

Getting back to the United States presents a problem. The first leg is Victoria Falls to Addis Ababa which is not concern. But the second leg requires that I fly Ethiopian Airlines from Addis Ababa to Dublin, Ireland, where I must change planes before flying to Chicago. I am worried that an American without a current Covid-19 test will not be allowed to transit through Dublin's airport.

Does anyone know the current situation? Theoretically, I will be transiting through Dublin around November 20th.

Again, this trip is necessary. It is not a vacation. As such, I am hoping that this thread does not devolve into a debate about whether I should be making the trip or not during a worldwide pandemic. I am simply looking for information regarding the ability for an American citizen to transit through Dublin airport without a current Covid-19 test (it is unlikely that I can get a test done in Victoria Falls right before I leave, and even if I could, it would two days old when I hit Dublin). Any knowledgeable responses would be greatly appreciated.

Private messages are fine if you do not want to post on this thread. Thank you in advance.

Robert

A selection of Camino Jewellery
According to this site -- https://www.traveloffpath.com/trans...hed out to,their onward / final destination.” -- the answer is yes :

Dublin Airport states on their covid information page that the 14-day quarantine rule and other rules set out by the HSE do not apply for arriving passengers if they are briefly stopping over at the airport on their way to another country.

We also reached out to their customer service team who answered: “Yes, passengers from outside the EU can still transit through Dublin Airport, but before they travel they should check the guidance in place for their onward / final destination.”

Hi Robert, As far as I know nationality is not an issue, it is the covid situation in the area from which you are traveling from which matters, so you need to check what they restrictions are entering Ireland from Zambia and Ethiopia.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Robert
My partner recently (last week) flew to Australia from Dublin airport. He had to have a Covid test beforehand but this was a condition imposed by his airline (Etihad), not by the airport.
Not sure how much this might help but if you look at information about Dublin airport online you might get some further clarification.

In addition to the information already provided by @JabbaPapa: There is actually next to nothing on Dublin airport’s Covid-19 information page about the 14-day quarantine rule and whether or how it applies to passengers in transit from African countries to the USA when these countries are not on Ireland's Green List. At least I couldn’t find anything.

The only information of relevance that I could find, after clicking around for a while, was the official Irish government information that states that such passengers do not have to complete the Passenger Locator Form which would indicate that these passengers also don't have to quarantine. Quote: [Overseas] passengers leaving [Ireland] from their [...] airport of arrival without otherwise exiting the [...] airport are exempt from having to complete the form.

And since it refers to not leaving the airport I'd guess that such passengers may leave the international transit zone and are allowed to move around the airport during the hours between arrival and departure.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.