• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Off Trails on the Norte

Mugatu

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Finisterre, Muxia (2018)
Camino Frances or Norte (2019 , June 27-Aug 8)
I just started watching this video, I’m curious, starting at 7:50 they seem to be on an off trail off the Camino entering into San Juan. Does anyone have info on this & maybe a WS with all these off trails

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
They've basically just taken a detour. If you look at the screenshot I've attached: you're going to turn left down to Santiago Plaza (where you catch the little boat across the water), whereas these guys have turned right to see the view from (the very Basque-sounding) "Donibaneko Atalaia" photo point.

It's possible to go "off trail" quite a lot on the Norte - there are often local trails and fisherman's paths all along the coast, while for some reason the Camino sends you on the road. Forum member Peregrina2000 (Laurie) has made a list of the all the off-trail options (it should come up with a search!) but as a rule of thumb, when you're walking near the sea there's usually a much nicer off-trail alternative compared to the road.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 21.24.06.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 21.24.06.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks, I’ve looked at her post; however, it looks as though these are marked on the wise pilgrim app and mentioned in the book, while the way these two gentlemen went aren’t even mentioned, I’m interested more so on these hikes that aren’t on the app that people may overlook.
I was just watching these other videos she posted the link on this other thread then I read this one hahaha. Yes I believe it is already on the wise pilgrim app but if you follow Laurie’s alternatives its just about the same information as the app you can’t go wrong I would PM @peregrina2000 maybe she can provide more info. I think what you are looking for are the GR routes or local hiking trails. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...g-nature-world-on-the-camino-del-norte.59958/

Thanks, I’ve looked at her post; however, it looks as though these are marked on the wise pilgrim app and mentioned in the book, while the way these two gentlemen went aren’t even mentioned, I’m interested more so on these hikes that aren’t on the app that people may overlook.

Many of the "coastal alternatives" run along the cliffs very close to the sea, so there aren't too many "hidden" paths - that is, unless you want to take detours and find other hiking trails in the area. These guys were just taking a detour to the headland, and wherever there's a lookout point (camera symbol on google maps), there will probably be a little path leading there. I've taken many of these sorts of detours (you'll see lots of signposts along the coast, indicating the existence of lookout points, hermitages, beaches, or even "bufones"), and while they can be fun and interesting, sometimes you just want to get from A to B.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Many of the "coastal alternatives" run along the cliffs very close to the sea, so there aren't too many "hidden" paths - that is, unless you want to take detours and find other hiking trails in the area. These guys were just taking a detour to the headland, and wherever there's a lookout point (camera symbol on google maps), there will probably be a little path leading there. I've taken many of these sorts of detours (you'll see lots of signposts along the coast, indicating the existence of lookout points, hermitages, beaches, or even "bufones"), and while they can be fun and interesting, sometimes you just want to get from A to B.
I’m not sure my knee can handle some of those...I saw that rope on the side of the cliff hahah 😳😬

I was just watching these other videos she posted the link on this other thread then I read this one hahaha. Yes I believe it is already on the wise pilgrim app but if you follow Laurie’s alternatives its just about the same information as the app you can’t go wrong I would PM @peregrina2000 maybe she can provide more info. I think what you are looking for are the GR routes or local hiking trails. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...g-nature-world-on-the-camino-del-norte.59958/

Thats a great suggestion, I'm looking to get lost down these paths,immersed with the culture, and spend as much time speaking with the locals. Having begun to sift through all these post regarding the Norte, Im sensing the Norte isn't much of a pilgrimage in the sense of the word, compared to its more famous counterpart...I intend to meander till its completion.

Thats a great suggestion, I'm looking to get lost down these paths,immersed with the culture, and spend as much time speaking with the locals. Having begun to sift through all these post regarding the Norte, Im sensing the Norte isn't much of a pilgrimage in the sense of the word, compared to its more famous counterpart...I intend to meander till its completion.
Meandering sounds like fun I’ll let you know what I find..I start around 25 March doing a slow walk

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's possible to go "off trail" quite a lot on the Norte - there are often local trails and fisherman's paths all along the coast, while for some reason the Camino sends you on the road.
Just add to this....
Many of these alternative paths are just within eyesight of the main path/trail or way...

I just started watching this video, I’m curious, starting at 7:50 they seem to be on an off trail off the Camino entering into San Juan. Does anyone have info on this & maybe a WS with all these off trails

Nice film, it brings back great memories! As has been mentioned here, Laurie ( @peregrina2000 ) has lots of info on coastal alternatives, and we followed many of them on our little walk last year.
What I will note, is that Luis, the author of the film, missed out on the ruta del Flysch. We have to thank Laurie for suggesting this coastal alternative, as it is one of the many highlights of our Norte.
Buen Camino!
Andrew

Does anyone have info on this & maybe a WS with all these off trails

Wikiloc is a great tool for finding alternative trails to interesting off-camino sites that you might like to visit. I just posted some information in another thread about Wikiloc's expanded search tools that would work well in a situation like this. Here's the link. Have fun exploring!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.