• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Off we go...

• Thread starter Former member 49149
  • Start date
F

Former member 49149

Left Hotel America this morning after a simple but sensible breakfast: fresh orange juice, tostadas con tomate y aceite, and cafe con leche. A really lovely exit from Ferrol along the bay, arriving eventually at Neda, where we sat on a bench munching our bread rolls that we had bought in Lidl, along with boiled eggs and salted peanuts, and an apple and lots of water. Socks dried in the sun, and we used the faceless google map voice person to guide us to Pension Maragoto where we have once more got spotlessly clean facilities, and a view back across to Ferrol. Now rest, then later a stroll around and a visit to the church where there will be a mass for pilgrims at 8.
A few photos, and thanks to Elle and Johnniewalker for guides...
BF5557E8-93E1-483B-854C-6869DBC9EC82.jpegB1045E8B-EBE5-4676-9424-18556A691DE4.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Left Hotel America this morning after a simple but sensible breakfast: fresh orange juice, tostadas con tomate y aceite, and cafe con leche. A really lovely exit from Ferrol along the bay, arriving eventually at Neda, where we sat on a bench munching our bread rolls that we had bought in Lidl, along with boiled eggs and salted peanuts, and an apple and lots of water. Socks dried in the sun, and we used the faceless google map voice person to guide us to Pension Maragoto where we have once more got spotlessly clean facilities, and a view back across to Ferrol. Now rest, then later a stroll around and a visit to the church where there will be a mass for pilgrims at 8.
View attachment 62107View attachment 62106
Nice to hear you are on the Camino again. Althought with busted little toe I liked Ingles very much. Due to injury I walked the shortest possible stages and slept in every albergue on Ingles :D

Have you already decided about which way from Pontedeume to Mino? The official or seaside variante?

It doesn't change a thing if you enjoyed "Neda" because Hostal Maragoto is still in the town of Xubia but in council of Neda. Also the albergue there is called Albergue de Neda because the council is taking care for it. The town of Neda is approx.2km further along the estuary as you will see tomorrow ;)

Buen Camino :)

The single most exciting thing about your post is that you've BOILED EGGS! I have so many food allergies and really relied on eggs on my walks. Did you have the opportunity to boil yourself, or ( even better ) could you buy them ready to go? I'm off to walk the Ingles in 39 days beginning in Ferrol...Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nice to hear you are on the Camino again. Althought with busted little toe I liked Ingles very much. Due to injury I walked the shortest possible stages and slept in every albergue on Ingles :D

Have you already decided about which way from Pontedeume to Mino? The official or seaside variante?

It doesn't change a thing if you enjoyed "Neda" because Hostal Maragoto is still in the town of Xubia but in council of Neda. Also the albergue there is called Albergue de Neda because the council is taking care for it. The town of Neda is approx.2km further along the estuary as you will see tomorrow ;)

Buen Camino :)
Tomorrow we will start with Csj guide and Elle... but as you must know the arrows are foolproof. We walked to the church of San Nicolas. I have a few photos, I will post them if I can depending on wifi, but in any case will send to Elle. Rain promised for tomorrow so poncho will get its first outing since 2013 on Portugués. Thanks for your post, I will let you know how we get on, but my guide will decide, and she follows the yellow brick road...I mean arrows! Don’t look for a meal before 9pm, and even worse on a Monday... we were very lucky to find Pizza Plaza. Super duper pasta, lovely welcome, spotless loo. Isabel is the name of the lady in charge.
35,000 steps today, only, and 26km with all the footprint around after resting. Ultreia!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The single most exciting thing about your post is that you've BOILED EGGS! I have so many food allergies and really relied on eggs on my walks. Did you have the opportunity to boil yourself, or ( even better ) could you buy them ready to go? I'm off to walk the Ingles in 39 days beginning in Ferrol...Buen Camino!
You might choke, but we had them boiled in Soria on Saturday and carried them to Santiago that night, and have them, well only 2 left... they will go with paqmochila tomorrow as we plan to have a fine ‘American’ breakfast in the morning and will have sardines instead, if we can find some good Galician bread en route. Lunch is on a bench, under a tree, wherever we can perch and I can take off shoes and socks and wiggle my toes in the fresh air. Tomorrow, rain might make that difficult, but that is tomorrow. Right now we need clothes to dry themselves by magic in this humid climate. Really enjoying the slow pace and the words of Japan: gratitude, will power and rejuvenation!

Really enjoying the slow pace and the words of Japan: gratitude, will power and rejuvenation!
May the rain stay away and your clothes get dry!
Lunch al fresco on the Ingles? Wonderful. (Pass on the sardines, though. You can have all of them. :cool: )
Buen camino, peregrinas!

I am eager to hear your tales @kirkie! Love it that you are taking it slowly! Hard boiled eggs are our staple, to complement the tostada and cafe con leche. We boil them in the albergues the night before for the next morning. If we stay in another accommodation that doesn't have a kitchen, we will substitute ham and/or cheese to give us some protein.
Thanks for all your help and photos! 🙏 🙏

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, Elle, I will send you whatever I take in the way of photos and they are yours to use as you wish. .now, sitting on bed after shower. Picnic lunch looking at the sea from a bench at the shore. Just before crossing the bridge, go right and follow your nose. Sardines today, with a tomato we bought yesterday as the fruit on offer wasn’t anything to get excited about. Leaving Neda, after a coffee, we saw a pastelería and bought a half barra so that was the blanket for the sardines. If Sophie is reading this, of course it is easy to cook your own eggs if you stay in albergues. Just don’t take off the shell till you are going to eat them! We did enjoy the walk today, and were glad we had gone to San Nicolas last night as the camino does not go past that church.
We were invited to go in and get a stamp from a man who was just parking his car at the council offices In Neda. I would say he could have been the alcalde, very polite.
There was one point where I could not follow an option, so we followed Johnniewalker and crossed the road very carefully.
My final word on today, at the moment: when I was six I had to go to hospital for a wee operation to remove a funny growth on my face. The guy who was giving me the mask with whatever gas it had told me to count to ten. Almost at once I realised he knew I would never reach ten. I so hate when people tell me the path is flat. Except for the forum rules I would write in bold and in capitals: it was not flat. May God help me tomorrow as I have been warned that it is not flat at all at the start.
A few words have turned into an essay. Now the rest that was to follow...

Last edited by a moderator:
May the rain stay away and your clothes get dry!
Lunch al fresco on the Ingles? Wonderful. (Pass on the sardines, though. You can have all of them. :cool: )
Buen camino, peregrinas!
Yes! Your intervention kept the rain away! Lunch was very nice, sitting looking at the sea. I came looking for our hostal while MJ strolled along the shore and finally had a swim. I just needed to get out of my boots and socks...

A short evening ramble, including a sello in the church of Saint Ignatius. Met a guy there who has left a reflection on the way to here (Pontedeume), and says to look out for another one tomorrow after some notable spot that I immediately forgot. That could be because I am blotting out all news of hills and vales to be dealt with tomorrow!
I have not looked up reviews, but our experience of the owners of Hostal Luis is top notch. Friendly, interested in pilgrims, trusting... Paz, the lady of the house told me a lovely story of recognising a ten times return pilgrim they saw walking across the bridge. They turned around, and although they were closed for holidays, they opened up for her! Top marks, Paz and Manolo.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Also stayed at Hotel America

No wifi yesterday. No problem. Thus far, this camino is uppy downy, and my legs are revolting. Take that as you choose! Great to bump into Becky this morning. We are not in same lodgings, and so maybe that will be the end of a beautiful friendship! We did meet her husband again in Cafe Avelina. Such a buzz of a place. The two sisters who run it are fascinating...a great welcome out of the pours of rain. While not accumulating any camino family, as anyone who walks a camino knows, you connect or not with other pilgrims, local people - and there are lovely moments along the way: views, snatches of conversation, eye contact, sharing remedies. ThT reminds me: out the window for two pairs of socks. I have changed to just one pair, and some sheep’s wool fr.om New Zealand. Thanks to whoever alerted me to that. I gave a bit to poor soul with a blister. Hope it doesn’t make it worse. It is working a great on my left toes. Right foot hasn’t got a problem. It is slightly longer than leftie. Enough, time to rest beforemwembrave thenpursmof rain and run across the road to the hotel. Staying in O Meson Novo. Very very nice...

Hey Kirkie... Sounds like you are having fun!!!

Keep the posts coming AND the photos... More is better :cool:

Enjoy the ride and happy trails!!!

-jj

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So, now in Siguiero in one of the most welcoming albergues on this Camino Inglés. If you can afford €15.00 for a bed in a shared bunk room you will be bowled over by the atmosphere of generosity. Anything on the table, you can eat it. Anything in the fridge, you can drink it. One closed fridge is for drinks you pay for. No shortage of anything for feeling more than at home. I took a couple of photos of the toiletries available, no questions asked. This was after a rather easier day than yesterday and the day before. Tomorrow promises to be fairly easy, and at least I know it is not much more than 16, so we should get to Santiago Cathedral somewhere around 2.30 or so. Last two times we could still put our hands in... maybe not in 2013, but certainly in 2006, I even have a photo to prove it! Anyway, tired now, and after tomorrow I will not have too much time to get my thoughts together to wind this up. It will happen soon enough, by the end of August. Meantime, those reading, thanks, hang on in and I might get something useful for those planning to walk. Nothing at all in the class of better folks, but every little helps!

19D67FC9-2BE0-4254-B0E8-D51285D25752.jpeg4914447D-1B00-4DA9-8A31-BC76B71F09FE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks so much! We did enjoy the afternoon, and especially meeting Noreen and Mary in the English speaking welcome area. Boy, was that cup of Barry’s tea welcome! Tomorrow, Portico de la Gloria at 9.30, then back to the house to pack all the washed and dried clothes, then 12 mass in San Agustin where we look forward to meeting the recently published author who was recently flagged by syates, and a few wandering days back to Pamplona. More when I have time to just think, but this was a lovely, sometimes awfully tough and steep, camino. Today took the biscuitL the best time of silence and wonder in all the dats...

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back