• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • Hi Please note that the posts below are created automatically when a new Resource is created in the Camino Resource section. Users can only make replies to the topics below, not create new threads.

Buen Camino!
    Ivar

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Resource icon

Official Left-Luggage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Official Left-Luggage submitted a new resource:

Official Left-Luggage - / You can leave at the Left luggage your backpack, luggage or bike for a few hours or several days.

Left luggage, International package delivery, free WI-FI…We open from Monday to Sunday from 8:45 to 21:00 at Rúa del Vilar, 15 bajo – Compostela
The Consigna Oficial del Peregrino (Official Left-Luggage Office for Pilgrims) is an essential point for travellers arriving at Santiago. It is a comfortable, safe and economic left-luggage in which our clients are able to temporarily deposit their luggage and bicycles to move freely around Compostela. This is an internal left-luggage...

Read more about this resource...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just a few simple questions and a few comments.

Isn't this a private company, a for profit company as compared to the previous consigna office inside the courtyard of the pilgrim office? Also the designation of official left-luggage, official to which organisation? Although they offer many services to the pilgrims, i found the tariffs to be quite pricey. I believe the prices should be within reason and not try to take advantage of the pilgrims.

This is just my opinion as this is a forum for discussion.

Last edited:
Just a few simple question and a few comments.

Isn't this a private company, a for profit company as compared to the previous consigna office inside the courtyard of the pilgrim office? Also the desination of official left-luggage, official to which organisation? Although they offer many services to the pilgrims, i found the tariffs to be quite pricey. I believe the prices should be within reason and not try to take advantage of the pilgrims.

This is just my opinion as this is a forum for discussion.
Dear Piogaw,
This letf-luggage office was previous inside the pilgrim's office. After hundreds of suggestions from the pilgrims, we created a new consigna with more services and adecuate space to store the luggage and bikes . Most of these services can not be for free because we have to pay for the staff who are working 12 hours a day every day of the week in this office.
Best regards Consigna Staff

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The prices charged seem reasonable enough to me.........It is a Business after all , simple stuff, if you don't like their prices,go somewhere else,your choice !!!!..........;)........Vicrev

I don't see Piogaw complaining about Ivar charging for storing packages so why the fuss about charges for guarding a pack for a day?There is a thread to post such services, which is good as it makes us aware of them. Then it is our choice whether we use them or not. Also it is up to Ivar and the moderators to decide whether an 'advert' is acceptable in a post. However you are doing a great job Piogaw at bringing this new service to our notice by keeping it in the 'recent post' list.

As I understand the situation the cathedral of Santiago has contracted with a private company to provide a range of services which include left luggage and a bicycle return service. The other services are as listed. The left luggage service is different from the previous Pilgrims' Office consigna as all luggage is now scanned on entry. This is part of the increased security in the Cathedral. Clearly as a private company they are entitled to charge whatever they think the market will sustain!

The new consigna is also part of a welcome strategy to provide a range of services at the point where pilgrims arrive - the cathedral has also let space in the precincts of the Pilgrims' Office for RENFE and ALSA Buses.

There are two issues of greater concern to me and many others. First is the closure of the Portico de la Gloria to all but paying customers. Entry through the Portico has for centuries been the traditional entrance by pilgrims to the cathedral. I do not believe the closure is justifiable and I hope that pressure mounts to change this.

Secondly is the impending ban on rucksacks and walking sticks from the Cathedral from the beginning of next year. During the last Holy Year in 2010 ALL bags were banned from the Cathedral i.e rucksacks, large handbags, over the shoulder bags, small knapsacks and so on. It has yet to be seen whether the 2014 bag ban will be universal or whether it will only target walking pilgrims. If it is the latter then I believe it will be unfair and discriminatory.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Johnnie, does this mean that no-one now enters the Cathedral as a pilgrim by going up the steps?
Also what happens to a pilgrim (or other worshipper) who actually needs their stick? How will they differentiate?
One other point from another thread that could cause concern is the policing of entry. What will be done for a pilgrim who having found a seat needs to go to the 'servicios' and then return to the Cathedral? Will they do as other places and stamp their hand for re-entry? This is a serious question/need for some of us.

Thanks for the explanation re the new services. Hopefully they and the baggage storage will be helpful as we arrive in Santiago.

Johnnie, does this mean that no-one now enters the Cathedral as a pilgrim by going up the steps?
Also what happens to a pilgrim (or other worshipper) who actually needs their stick? How will they differentiate?
One other point from another thread that could cause concern is the policing of entry. What will be done for a pilgrim who having found a seat needs to go to the 'servicios' and then return to the Cathedral? Will they do as other places and stamp their hand for re-entry? This is a serious question/need for some of us.

Thanks for the explanation re the new services. Hopefully they and the baggage storage will be helpful as we arrive in Santiago.

As part of the sales strategy for paid visits to the Portico both front doors of the cathedral were closed for a time. However such was the level of protest that the door on the Right hand side of the Portico is now open for pilgrims and visitors to enter. However the Portico remains fenced off.

I have no idea how a walking stick ban will be enforced - I assume they will permit normal rubber tipped walking sticks.

I think that coming and going to the cathedral will remain open as it is as the moment when nature calls - I think the only exception will be when the crowds are so large the doors are closed.

I don't see Piogaw complaining about Ivar charging for storing packages so why the fuss about charges for guarding a pack for a day?There is a thread to post such services, which is good as it makes us aware of them. Then it is our choice whether we use them or not. Also it is up to Ivar and the moderators to decide whether an 'advert' is acceptable in a post. However you are doing a great job Piogaw at bringing this new service to our notice by keeping it in the 'recent post' list.

i have tried to provide as much information as possible about the pilgrim community in santiago as i have spent quite a bit of time there.

maybe i am wrong in making personal opinion about certain businesses. but as such this is an open forum for discussion. and i am, like everyone in this forum, is entitled to express my opinion or thoughts. it is not a situation where if you are not with me, you are against me. after all we are a democratic society.
we are not an autocratic society. we can always agreed to disagree.

buen camino to all.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have asked the
Logo.png

who are, effectively, the cathedral authorities, for further clarification of the restrictions on backpacks etc . It seems unlikely that the private enterprise contractor would have posted this notice without approval.
I agree with JohnnieWalker that the current situation with the Portico de la Gloria and the proposed ban on backpacks is of great concern.
I will of course share any response I receive here. EDIT the response

Response from Consigna Oficial del Peregrino - for which, Thank You

Date:Mon, 14 Oct 2013 8:29
Dear Mr. Jarvis,

This note was given to us by the Cathedral Authorities, and it is true. During these days there are security guards who not permit the entrance with bags o suitcases to the Cathedral.

Best regards,

Consigna Staff

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I imagine the cathedral authorities have disseminated this information through other channels .

Last edited:
As part of the sales strategy for paid visits to the Portico both front doors of the cathedral were closed for a time. However such was the level of protest that the door on the Right hand side of the Portico is now open for pilgrims and visitors to enter. However the Portico remains fenced off.

I have no idea how a walking stick ban will be enforced - I assume they will permit normal rubber tipped walking sticks.

I think that coming and going to the cathedral will remain open as it is as the moment when nature calls - I think the only exception will be when the crowds are so large the doors are closed.

Thanks Johnnie. For the Mass it feels more 'right' to enter by the Portico door and also on arrival if possible.
Personally we would be happy to pay for a tour up the scaffolding to view the Portico as it would help the funding for its restoration, however that would be seperate from our arrival and Pilgrims' Mass. Maybe, like with the Museum, a small discount could be given to Pilgrims who have received the Cathedral stamp in their credenciales so acknowledging their pilgrim, rather than tourist, status.
If the crowds are so large that the doors are shut I think that a quiet word with a member of the security staff might be needed to ensure exit to the 'servicios' and re-entry :) I am thinking that pilgrims increasingly take their seats in the Cathedral from 11.00 onwards and about 11.30............:eek: and waiting until then to go in at all could mean the capacity had already been reached :oops:

If all you were doing were providing information, I would not have raised my concerns. Your post on easyJet was far more than that, with all of the content elements I normally associate with advertising. You might say it is information, but I would expect every advertiser to say the same thing.

As it is, I think your recent posts have been unfairly critical of two legitimate businesses, both without any shred of real evidence to justify your position. In this latest attempt to discredit a company which now appears to have a perfectly good reason for using the word 'oficial' in their business name, you cast doubt on that and other elements of their business model. Now that it has been revealed that the Cosigna Oficial del Peregrino has every right to use that title, I would like to know how you are going to undo any damage your earlier posts might have done to its business reputation. Merely redacting the posts won't be enough - the unjustified criticism is already out there doing its damage, and you are powerless to stop that. Is it too late to remind you of Benjamin Franklin's advice - a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?

Regards,
dougfitz,
I think piogaw was simply providing information for the potential benefit of others. Thank you piogaw for that.
I think your comments relating to recent posts being unfairly critical, overstate the case. The use of the word official seeks to define some quality or properties of the service. They mean they are the service subcontracted by the cathedral. That is their status. But there is no harm in questioning and clarifying that status. There is no need for piogaw to undo anything. Your reference to prevention and cure, in this context strikes me as a call for censorship.

The Cosigna Oficial del Peregrino will benefit directly from the revised access arrangements to the cathedral. It is therefore understandable that they have posted a notice relating to the policy on their site;

"NOTA INFORMATIVA: A partir del 01/01/2014 quedará restringido el acceso a la Catedral de mochilas, bastones y otros bultos. Desde ahora se desaconseja ya la entrada a la Catedral con estos artículos.
Está a su disposición la Consigna Oficial del Peregrino para que despositen estos objetos. "

the second sentence is currently absent from the English translation and all that appears is ;
"INFORMATIVE NOTE: From the 01/01/2014 the access to the Cathedral with backpack, walking sticks or other packages will be restricted. From now on the access to the Cathedral with this item is not advised."

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Response from Consigna Oficial del Peregrino - for which, Thank You

Date:Mon, 14 Oct 2013 8:29
Dear Mr. Jarvis,

This note was given to us by the Cathedral Authorities, and it is true. During these days there are security guards who not permit the entrance with bags o suitcases to the Cathedral.

Best regards,

Consigna Staff

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I imagine the cathedral authorities have disseminated this information through other channels . I was in the cathedral with rucksack in June, have signs / restriction come into play since ?

I was there in the beginning of October, little more than a week ago.
I saw the security guards, and rucksacks too. In fact, I got a pic with both of them, though it's not very good. But if anyone is interested, here it is:
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1381747771.806409.jpg

During the last Holy Year in 2010 ALL bags were banned from the Cathedral i.e rucksacks, large handbags, over the shoulder bags, small knapsacks and so on. It has yet to be seen whether the 2014 bag ban will be universal or whether it will only target walking pilgrims. If it is the latter then I believe it will be unfair and discriminatory.
I had been wondering what all the fuss was about, but now I see that the bag ban when I arrived in 2010 was not the permanent state of affairs.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Response from the kind people in the Consigna Oficial del Peregrino to my question WHEN was the policy advised?

Date:Mon, 14 Oct 2013 11:41
Yes, of course. It was issued from the 29th of July. In the entrance of the
Pilgrims Office there is an advise.
Best regards,
Consigna Staff

Hi there,

I have removed some posts and locked this thread for now. They presented their service in their Camino Resources section here:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/categories/services-in-santiago-de-compostela.11/
... after I asked them to. This thread was created automatically when the Resource was created.

My idea for this section was for people/companies that had a product/service to offer could add it so that pilgrims know of it. If you (as a pilgrim) do not like the product/service, don't use it.

It would be great to hear from pilgrims about the service they offer (good and bad)... but I feel there is no need to criticizes the product. It is there, if you like it great... if not, leave it alone.

I feel that pilgrims could benefit from knowing what services are out there, but you might not like all of them.... and that is fine.

I will be re-writing the forum rules in the next few days (when I get time) to incorporate this...

Saludos,
Ivar

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back