A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Official Pilgrims Passport now available here

Camino(s) past & future
By bike, Netherlands-Santiago: 2008 and 2011
Dear Ivar,
Good initiative to sell Pilgrims passports. I will add a link to your site on mine: http://perfietsnaarsantiago.wordpress.com/
This site contains 'all' the information pilgrims from The Netherlands/Flanders would like to know about the Camino.
One question about the passport. I've seen a stamp was refused because the passport of the pilgrim was 'illegal', a priest of a church in Sarria said. So my conclusion was: there are illegal credentials. What do you know about illegal passports? I assume 'your' passports are 'legal'.
Matthew

Advertisment

peregrina2000

Staff member
Donating Member
Dear Ivar,
Good initiative to sell Pilgrims passports. I will add a link to your site on mine: http://perfietsnaarsantiago.wordpress.com/
This site contains 'all' the information pilgrims from The Netherlands/Flanders would like to know about the Camino.
One question about the passport. I've seen a stamp was refused because the passport of the pilgrim was 'illegal', a priest of a church in Sarria said. So my conclusion was: there are illegal credentials. What do you know about illegal passports? I assume 'your' passports are 'legal'.
Matthew
Hi, Matthew, The credentials Ivar sells are the ones issued by the Cathedral of Santiago.

I am surprised to hear you say a priest said a credential was "illegal." I volunteered in the pilgrims office in Santiago in May issuing compostelas and never heard of anyone being told their passport/credential was illegal. Many national organizations print their own, like the US, Irish, British, Italian, French, so I am not sure what he would have been referring to. I know that some of the organized tour operators recently stopped printing their own and agreed to use the Cathedral's passport, but that was more a monetary issue than a "legality" issue, I believe.

Camino(s) past & future
By bike, Netherlands-Santiago: 2008 and 2011
Hi, Matthew, The credentials Ivar sells are the ones issued by the Cathedral of Santiago.

I am surprised to hear you say a priest said a credential was "illegal." I volunteered in the pilgrims office in Santiago in May issuing compostelas and never heard of anyone being told their passport/credential was illegal. Many national organizations print their own, like the US, Irish, British, Italian, French, so I am not sure what he would have been referring to. I know that some of the organized tour operators recently stopped printing their own and agreed to use the Cathedral's passport, but that was more a monetary issue than a "legality" issue, I believe.
Maybe you're right; I was two times at the counter but never volunteered there.
On site of the Pilgrims Office you can read: - La credencial del peregrino, por tanto, sólo puede expedirla la Iglesia a través de sus instituciones (Obispado, Parroquia, Cofradía, etc. o, en todo caso, a través de instituciones que estén autorizadas por la Iglesia). Sólo así podrá concederse la “Compostela” en la S. A. M. I. Catedral de Santiago (Jornadas sobre el Año Santo: noviembre 1993)
My best translation of this (I'm Dutch) says the the credential must -en todo caso- be issued by a authorised institution. A list of 'Instituciones autorizadas' can be found on the Pilgrims Office site. Another reason why I think some 'officials' (priests, staff at Pilgrims Office) sometimes will refuse a stamp in a credential or more worse will refuse to issue a Compostela, is my own experience at the Cathedral of Vézelay. The priest inspected my credential as it was an ID-card, asked me some questions about it before he gave me a stamp. Anyway, I don't know whether it is a real problem or not. But it'd be very frustrating if a pilgrim won't get a Compostela because his credential was not issued by an authorised organisation. But, Ivar's credentials are issued by the Cathedral -I've read- , so there won't be a problem with 'his' credentials.

I've asked the Pilgrims Office to comment on issue 'credencials illegal'. Unfortunately this time they didn't answer.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
I have never heard of an "illegal" credencial either. There has been some rumblings about private tour companies making their own credentials, then selling it to their clients... and that the pilgrims office was not very happy with it.. but I don't know if there was ever decided not to accept any particular credencial. Then again, this is really a question for the pilgrims office, they would know.

The credencial I offer here are the one from the pilgrims office, so it should be fine.... as will as all the credentials offered by the pilgrims associations around the world.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

suzie

Camino(s) past & future
planning my first trip
Thank you Ivar I received my passports today very exciting. It took 12 days to reach Victoria Australia well worth the wait. Sue.

Advertisment

Ian Afloat

Camino(s) past & future
CF July 25th 2017 from SJPDP
Got mine the other week. Thanks!
[link edited out by Ivar.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Camino(s) past & future
(2015)
What must I write on the first page.
"Nobre del peregrino" I understand , my name (I presume as written on my passport)
"DNI / pasaporte" I guess means that i must enter the number of my passport
"Direccion" Google translate says this means "address" , does this mean I fill in my hown address
"lugar de inicio de la peregrinacion" my guess is that I have to fill in the starting place of my pilgrimage
"a pie" that is easy , i walk

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
"Nobre del peregrino" I understand , my name (I presume as written on my passport)
-- Yes

"DNI / pasaporte" I guess means that i must enter the number of my passport
-- Yes.

"Direccion" Google translate says this means "address" , does this mean I fill in my hown address
-- I am not sure if this is important for for the pilgrims office, but yes, that would be your address.

"lugar de inicio de la peregrinacion" my guess is that I have to fill in the starting place of my pilgrimage
-- Yes

"a pie" that is easy , i walk
-- Exactly..

Camino(s) past & future
2015 Camino Francais starting at Samos
Dear Ivar,
We received our passports within a week. Thank you. But we miss the stamp at the first page to make them official.
I'm worried they will be illegal without the field "Credencial que expire:" filled in with the stamp from the Pelgrims Office. That what I read at the site https://perfietsnaarsantiago.wordpress.com.

How to obtain this stamp?

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Donating Member
Dear Ivar,
We received our passports within a week. Thank you. But we miss the stamp at the first page to make them official.
I'm worried they will be illegal without the field "Credencial que expire:" filled in with the stamp from the Pelgrims Office. That what I read at the site https://perfietsnaarsantiago.wordpress.com.

How to obtain this stamp?
Hola
There is nothing missing from the Credencial which you have. It was issued by the Cathedral of Santiago via the Pilgrims Office. It is official and will be accepted at all albergues.

Sometimes organisations place their own stamp on the first page - this is only to advertise who issued the credencial and has no other purpose.

Buen Camino
John

Gaile

Camino(s) past & future
September (2013)
My first CF was 2013, This September, I will return to do the Leon to Santiago section. My Question is; Is there a special place in Leon, I must sign in to get a new passport, or can I sign in at the first Albergue I spend the night in.

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
You can use your old credential, or get a new one at Albergue del convento de las carbajalas, Albergue San Tomas, Albergue-Residencia Miguel de Unamuno, or Albergue Check in.

W

whariwharangi

Hola
There is nothing missing from the Credencial which you have. It was issued by the Cathedral of Santiago via the Pilgrims Office. It is official and will be accepted at all albergues.

Sometimes organisations place their own stamp on the first page - this is only to advertise who issued the credencial and has no other purpose.

Buen Camino
John
So the dumb question is: what is not an official credencial? Given the information here it looks like I could fold up a paper covered with boxes for cellos and put my name on the cover ... and save the cost of postage and donations.

Liina

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Ponferrada to Santiago) and from Muxia to Finisterre June/July 2015.
Huh, thank god there was this question of mine already answered - how to fill the first page :)

But I ask one more question - what does that Cumplio la peregrinacion sello mean and does this Santiago, a ___ de ____ de 20__ is for filled by the office in the end when I get my Compostela?

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino Portugues (2017)
Norte/Liebana (Planning)
But I ask one more question - what does that Cumplio la peregrinacion sello mean and does this Santiago, a ___ de ____ de 20__ is for filled by the office in the end when I get my Compostela?
It means "Completed the Pilgrimage Stamp". And yes, the last part will be filled by the office when they give you that last stamp ^^

Cristinaa

Camino(s) past & future
May 2016
Hi there

My friend and I are starting El Camino from SJPDP. Apart from obtaining a passport from your link, are we able to obtain from our starting point? Or is it best to have one before we leave Australia?

Thanks

C clearly

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
Hi there
My friend and I are starting El Camino from SJPDP. Apart from obtaining a passport from your link, are we able to obtain from our starting point? Or is it best to have one before we leave Australia?
Thanks
Ivar is quite prompt about getting the credencials into the mail, but you will definitely be able to get one at the pilgrim office in SJPP. I don't know the hours, but they keep hours such that pilgrims arriving on the last train or bus in the evening will still be able to get to the office in time.

Dear all,

Thanks to @JohnnieWalker I have now started providing the official Pilgrims Passport (Or Credencial). I will try to send out orders as soon as they come in during the week (you will get an e-mail when I send it out), but I will use Sunday afternoons to make sure that all are sent out at least by then.

You can order them here:
http://www.santiagodecompostela.me/...passport-from-the-pilgrims-office-in-santiago

View attachment 9767

View attachment 9766

Please let me know if you have any question!

Buen Camino!
Ivar
Hi Ivar, Is the credencial that I bought from you about three or four months ago still valid please?

Alan Pearce

Camino(s) past & future
Aragones 2008, del Norte 2009, VdlP 2011, Ingles 2014, Camino de Madri 2015, Frances 2017
Hi there

Thanks
Hi Christinaa

Ivan supplies a perfectly fine credential, but I ordered mine yesterday from The Australian Friends Of The Camino, who issue the official Australian credential. It is just a little thing, but I like to carry the Aussie one!
Alan

Be brave.Life is joyous.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April 2016.
Camino Primitivo May 2018.
Hi,
I've ordered the credential, the guide book and shell from Ivar, and can wait to receive them. :) My Camino starts in April this year from Roncesvalles, so my question is: since I will not spend a night in Roncesvalles (but in Pamplona) where can I get my first stamp in Roncesvalles?
Thanks...

mspath

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
You can get your Pilgrim Passport stamped in the albergue office, any of the bar/hotels or the small tourist office as you pass through Roncesvalles.

Buen camino!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April 2016.
Camino Primitivo May 2018.
So, I don't have to "officialy" register myself somewhere? Taking the stamp in my passport is all I need to do?

mspath

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Thank is correct. There is no need to register when you start off.

Buen camino!

RumAndChupacabras

"Once Started, Camino Never Ends"!
Camino(s) past & future
Oviedo, Santo Toribio, Covadonga, San Sebastian de Garabandal: April 2018 Portuguese: May/June 2016
"...Please let me know if you have any question! Buen Camino! Ivar
Hi Ivar! I ordered my Credential from you months ago (thank you) and am filling it out.

Ivar...I've searched online and all over this Forum but, I can not find a translation to English, of the following Credential portions: 1. Instructions 2.Oracion del Peregrino 3. Bendicion del Peregrino.
Are you able to direct me to where it might already be posted? I can't imagine I'm the only person who has wondered about this.

Thank you kindly...AND, I'll be looking for you in SDC about 3 weeks from now. :)

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
Hi Ivar! I ordered my Credential from you months ago (thank you) and am filling it out.

Ivar...I've searched online and all over this Forum but, I can not find a translation to English, of the following Credential portions: 1. Instructions 2.Oracion del Peregrino 3. Bendicion del Peregrino.
Are you able to direct me to where it might already be posted? I can't imagine I'm the only person who has wondered about this.

Thank you kindly...AND, I'll be looking for you in SDC about 3 weeks from now. :)
Hi there,
The only translation (or close to a translation) that I now of is what you find here:
http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgrimage/the-credencial/
...on the Pilgrims office site.

Hope this helps!
Ivar

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Portugues 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
Pretty! Buen Camino, SY

Jenn

Camino(s) past & future
First time planning
Dear all,

Thanks to @JohnnieWalker I have now started providing the official Pilgrims Passport (Or Credencial). I will try to send out orders as soon as they come in during the week (you will get an e-mail when I send it out), but I will use Sunday afternoons to make sure that all are sent out at least by then.

You can order them here:
http://www.santiagodecompostela.me/...passport-from-the-pilgrims-office-in-santiago

View attachment 9767

View attachment 9766

Buen Camino!
Ivar
How long would it take to send to Australia. I leave in 2 weeks? I start walking in Astorga, is there anywhere there I can get one? Many

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
How long would it take to send to Australia. I leave in 2 weeks? I start walking in Astorga, is there anywhere there I can get one? Many
By regular mail it might be 2-3 weeks. UPS 4-5 days (but more expensive). I would get one at your first albergue.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(x3), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham.
2018? CF, again :-)
I have a query: why does it say this when I am about to order?
'By continuing, I agree that my information will be transferred to the United States.'

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
I have a query: why does it say this when I am about to order?
'By continuing, I agree that my information will be transferred to the United States.'
The store is run on the Shopify platform (https://www.shopify.com/). This is a Canadian company that (I guess) have their servers in the US. So the transactions in my store is stored on a server in the US. I assume there is a law that says that this has to be stated, I have not chose to put it there... it comes from Shopify.

Mavitut

Camino(s) past & future
Ingles (2017)
Dear all,

You can order them here:

View attachment 9767

View attachment 9766

Buen Camino!
Ivar
Always like to be able to use PayPal when possible

Waka

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Some but not all, and other routes too.
I'm sorry that PayPal is no longer supported. Stripe (that I use now) cost me less money + I think more people have a Visa/MasterCard than a PayPal account.. Sorry! :)

Thanks for the update Ivar.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances/Finest September 2013
VDLP September 2016
Salamanca to Santiago/Finesterra/Muxia 2017
There was some talk a while back about the paper in the new credentials being too "waxy?" to take a stamp nicely. Is this a problem still?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
There was some talk a while back about the paper in the new credentials being too "waxy?" to take a stamp nicely. Is this a problem still?
No, there is now a new version...it looks the same, but printed on different and better paper...

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 85 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 142 26.3%
  • June