• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Official Routes to obtain The Compostela?

lydz77

Time of past OR future Camino
My hope is to walk the camino by the end of July, 2014. I'd LOVE any advice on official trails and how to obtain my pilgrims passport :)
I'm walking the camino trail this July, and I'd LOVE advice on official trails that are fun, scenic, and spiritual. I definitely want to walk the coastline to Santiago from either St. Jean de Port (wondering about guidelines/requirements for crossing French border?), Pamplona, Lisbon, or possibly Coimbra considering my time restrictions...I only have one month to be in Spain, and I want to leave a couple days room for any possible obstacles and rest before finally departing.

A few Questions:

Considering my time restriction, where would you suggest I begin?

If Coimbra is logical, would it have a place to obtain my Pilgrims Passport?

Would beginning in Coimbra qualify me for The Compostela?

Which coastline do most pilgrims prefer, the Portuguese coast (south to north) or the coast of Biscay (east to west)?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
None of the routes are really coastal. Some sections of the coastal route in Portugal have a fair amount of water views, and the same is true of a few of the sections on the Camino del Norte. But Santiago is inland, and the final 100 km of all the caminos is without substantial water views. July is busy on the Camino Frances, so expect crowds; however, it is the benchmark camino if you are only going once. Consider it (and prepare mentally for all the other pilgrims).

Hola and welcome.
If you check out an on-line guide such as Gronze it will give you some idea of the routes and how much is near the coast. The Norte is between the mountains and the sea with some options to walk the E9 alternative routes to be nearer the cliff tops. As Falcon says all have inland sections and July is busier. There will be many non-pilgrims also on the coast as it is holiday season. Gronze has sections on each Camino, with outline maps. CSJ have guides (no maps) with clear instructions and also alternatives given, plus suggestions for accommodation as well as the albergues. The Cicerone guide to the Northern Caminos had information, mini maps and some accomodation suggested as well as some photos.
Searching the different sections of the forum will aslo help you to decide which Camino calls loudest to you.
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you tell us where you are from, we can tell you where to get your Credencial from at home ;-) Then you would have one worry less. Buen Camino! SY

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back