• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oh for a poncho in Portamarin?

Sarah80

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk july 15
Currently in the albergue in Mercadoiro and have lost my rucksack cover somewhere between here and Ferrerios. It's been belting down here for days now and I don't even fancy my chances of making it to Portomarin (5km) without getting soaked tomorrow as more rain is forecast.

Assuming I can make it, does anyone know if any store in PM sells ponchos? Any old poncho will do (or backpack cover!)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can find bin (garbage bags) in the local tienda. Share with others in a similar predicament. Use one inside your rucksack to contain all your stuff, as a rucksack liner.

Take a second bin bag and make slits for the straps. Place this bag over the exterior of your rucksack with the opening to the bottom. There should be four strap holes/slits. Two at the upper shoulder, and two where the bag reconnects to the lower part of the rucksack.

Use some of the duck tape you SHOULD be carrying to reinforce the four slits you made to pass straps through. I usually cover the slit, place a second, overlapping layer over that, then "reopen" the slit using my pocket knife or the tiny scissor on my TSA-friendly multi-tool.

FYI, heavy gauge lawn and leaf bags, or contractor bags are more durable. If there is a ferreteria nearby (hardware store) try there. But, if you had to buy a box of say ten bags, you have spares to share with others. REMEMBER TO DISPOSE of used bags responsibly.

BTW, the largest bags also make good field-expedient rain coats to cover at least your torso and help keep the heat in, to prevent hypothermia in colder temperatures.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As t2andreo observed, this is another challenge that can be overcome with duct tape and garbage bags. On my first camino I even fashioned a set of rain chaps out of them. I looked kind of like a cross between the tin man from Wizard of Oz and Sir Lancelot but they worked and if one can ignore the stares of people you'll never see again post camino so much the better!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back