• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oh No! He's Back - David Shares some Camino Tips

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Amen about the merry-go-round.
And about the phone. Use it as a camera, for navigation/booking, to hold whatever books you are reading, or to touch base with loved ones if you must. But the rest? The news, the buzz of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, the pressure to be 'connected' all the time...these are black holes for energy and spirit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Robo and David. Excellent tips David.
The one change of clothes is something I struggle with to this day - there’s something about needing to be prepared for every eventuality - sun, rain, hail, snow - that I need to let go of. Do others feel the same? I’d be interested to hear.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

The one change of clothes is something I struggle with to this day - there’s something about needing to be prepared for every eventuality - sun, rain, hail, snow - that I need to let go of. Do others feel the same? I’d be interested to hear.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

I was certainly like that on my first Camino. I think I had 5 shirts for all types of weather and occasion!

Now the choice is easy. 2 x Very light Marino shirts (120 weight), long sleeve with a half zip.
Hot? Roll up the sleeves and pull down the zip.
Cold? Keep sleeves long and pull u zip.
Very Cold? wear both shirts ;)

Now I'm strictly in the wear one and carry one spare camp. The only thing I carry 3 of is socks, as I change them through the day.

Less gear = less weight = less fatigue = less strain = less injury = Happy Pilgrim :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was certainly like that on my first Camino. I think I had 5 shirts for all types of weather and occasion!

Now the choice is easy. 2 x Very light Marino shirts (120 weight), long sleeve with a half zip.
Hot? Roll up the sleeves and pull down the zip.
Cold? Keep sleeves long and pull u zip.
Very Cold? wear both shirts ;)

Now I'm strictly in the wear one and carry one spare camp. The only thing I carry 3 of is socks, as I change them through the day.

Less gear = less weight = less fatigue = less strain = less injury = Happy Pilgrim :)
Top tips Robo - cheers. I love the Merino gear - it feels great to wear and it dries quickly.
For anyone who’s interested, there’s a lightweight packing list on the Pilgrims in Sydney website which is very helpful. Go to pilgrimsinsydney.org and click on “Links”.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

And about the phone. Use it as a camera, for navigation/booking, to hold whatever books you are reading, or to touch base with loved ones if you must. But the rest? The news, the buzz of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, the pressure to be 'connected' all the time...these are black holes for energy and spirit.
To me the best part of the Camino was NO Internet stuff like FB, Whatsapp, no email, etc. Freedom. Just used it for fotos and to make reservations at albergues or to hook up with someone I met down the Camino. Can't wait to do it again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Absolutely agree but one quick comment about the phone for camera idea. As I get older (I'm 76) and realize that I may have only 20 years or so left to walk the camino, I find that I want camino pictures around me at home. I've read that pictures from a phone are not good enough for enlarged prints (say a 16" X 20" [40 x 50 cm] on canvas). But does anyone have updated or better information about that?

I'm sure getting itchy feet again to get back on the camino, like so many others here.

I've read that pictures from a phone are not good enough for enlarged prints (say a 16" X 20" [40 x 50 cm] on canvas).
It depends very much on your phone and on your settings. Most newish phones have excellent cameras that can produce photos that can be enlarged to that size. (I do have some beautiful enlargements to that size, taken on a phone 10 years ago.) It also depends on how particular you are - do you want to see every wrinkle and count the hairs? 🤣

I've read that pictures from a phone are not good enough for enlarged prints (say a 16" X 20" [40 x 50 cm] on canvas). But does anyone have updated or better information about that?
I have seen a few websites that recommend that for printing high quality photos you should have 300 pixels for each inch (sorry metric users, you figure it out, 2.54 cm/inch). Using my phone to get 4x3 ratio photos at high quality the pixels come out a bit better than 4000x3000. This means I could get a quality print of about 13x10 inch. However, take into account cropping which will reduce the pixel size of the digital photo.

This webpage may help you determine if your phone is good enough for what you want:

Personally, I would prefer using a camera myself but I can't justify getting a really good one. I'm married. I bet you can see why one isn't in the cards.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny
I took two changes of clothing on my 2016 and 2018 Caminos (I don't remember what I brought in 1989). It gives me a little more flexibility in terms of long sleeve/short sleeve shirts, etc. Also, if the weather or facilities make clothes washing and drying nigh impossible, I have that bit of flexibility to wait until the next day to do laundry and still have clean clothes to wear. And when I was walking with my son in 2016, I got lazy and got into the pattern of mostly just machine washing in the albergue every other day (four sets of clothes made a nice load).

So it worked for me and I was able to carry them. Many others get by with just one spare set of clothes. And I've even heard tell of people who just carry one set of clothes and rain jacket and pants that they put on when doing laundry.

This webpage may help you determine if your phone is good enough for what you want:
Thanks Rick that's a very helpful article. I'm hoping to have prints that are 16" X 20" or 20" X 24" so an iphone definitely won't do it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
... It also depends on how particular you are - do you want to see every wrinkle and count the hairs? 🤣
Thanks Rick that's a very helpful article. I'm hoping to have prints that are 16" X 20" or 20" X 24" so an iphone definitely won't do it.
As C clearly said, it depends... I would just try it with your smartphone or the smartphone of a friend (take a test photo on a walk at home and print it).
I think the "how many megapixels" site tells you what you need if you want to "count the hairs"... often you would not need that much details.

For the "take half the things" idea of David and cameras in general, here is Hank's comment.
He talks about his camera and smartphone (19m 48s):

Last edited:
It depends very much on your phone and on your settings. Most newish phones have excellent cameras that can produce photos that can be enlarged to that size. (I do have some beautiful enlargements to that size, taken on a phone 10 years ago.) It also depends on how particular you are - do you want to see every wrinkle and count the hairs? 🤣
Ha ha - sweet! 🤣 I don't take pictures of myself - and definitely wouldn't want one on my wall - but I may want to be able to see every leaf and flower.

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.