• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oh no! Not another equipment Question...

DowtyCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
May-Jn2014
May-Jn 2017
VF Jl-O 2021
Mar-My 2023
We leave in 3 weeks. My wife and I will begin at SJPP on May 26 and will depart from Santiago June 30 God willing.
We are both planning to take the following...
  • the clothes on our back (convertible pants, wicking shirt, underwear, wool socks, hiking shoes)
  • one change of clothes (underwear, shorts, wool socks, sandels)
  • one long sleeve wicking shirt
  • camera/iphone/charger
  • rain jacket
  • pack with pack cover
  • silk sleeping liner
  • toiletries/first-aid/footcare/suntan lotion/deet
  • hat
  • guide book and credential, passport, money
  • dry bag
I've heard alot about fleece, pillow cases. Do we REALLY need either travelling mostly in June?
What are we missing that would be considered critical?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A decent sized water canteen, corkscrew, and tin opener. Some Imodium from the pharmacy in case of tummy upsets, and Compeed or sticking plasters, to deal with blisters.

Last edited:
Corkscrews and tin openers are only if you plan to buy bottled wine and tinned food. And if the albergue doesn't have them (most do). Not necessary. Easily bought if you want them.

Your list looks really fine. Anything else you decide you "must" have, you can buy on route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looks good to me. It can feel cool at night if sitting on café terraces etc, but you probably have enough without a fleece in June. Other things like a small torch are not vital. A microfibre towel would be good. Buen Camino!

I would bring a fleece, but then I do feel the cold. Whilst the weather is generally warm in June, do not be surprised if you have evenings/mornings with temperatures around 10-15 C, especially at the higher altitudes. It might not happen, and it might just be a couple of days, so it it depends on whether you consider 10-15 degrees fleece weather or not - I do;)

I'd bring the fleece, or a second long-sleeved shirt (maybe a light merino wool?) just in case it's cold in the evening.

For pillow cases, you don't need one, but you do need something to cover your pillow. If your sleeping bag has a "head protector", then that might be enough! I brought a silk scarf that I wrapped around my pillow at night.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Corkscrews and tin openers are only if you plan to buy bottled wine and tinned food. And if the albergue doesn't have them (most do). Not necessary. Easily bought if you want them.

Same goes for the canteen; buy mineral water in re-useable 1/2-liter PET bottles, they are lighter; a «DrinkN'Clip» (www.niteize.com) is very practical.
Use a linen-bag for your clean clothes as your pillow or wrap those provided with a large microfiber towel (www.packtowl.com). Get an app on your iPhone instead of shlepping a printed guide.:)

We leave in 3 weeks. My wife and I will begin at SJPP on May 26 and will depart from Santiago June 30 God willing.
  • the clothes on our back (convertible pants, wicking shirt, underwear, wool socks, hiking shoes)
  • camera/iphone/charger
  • rain jacket
  • pack with pack cover
  • silk sleeping liner
  • toiletries/first-aid/footcare/suntan lotion/deet
  • hat
  • guide book and credential, passport, money
  • dry bag
I've heard alot about fleece, pillow cases. Do we REALLY need either travelling mostly in June?
That sounds really light, under 3 kgs I'd say, but I would be interested on the actual weight. If you can get away with it, good on yer.

I'm leaving May 31st from SJPP, and I was going to skip on the fleece, but some local pilgrims have convinced me otherwise (even though I exercise really hot). Typically I just hike in a tank and light long sleeve shirt if it's anything over 35 F. But, the fleece was heavy and taking up a lot of space. I've switched it out for a long sleeve UnderArmor shirt that's designed for cold weather. It's slim, light, and warm. They're probably on a great sale right now since it's spring. I stole mine from my spouse :).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You didn't mention if you have liners for those wool socks. I am a believer in liners, but that is just me. I liked having 2 extra pair of sock liners as I changed midday. That way I would have a clean dry pair to change into at the end of the day.

The most important thing is gear testing, which to me is an opportunity to practice routines as well. Have you slept in your silk liners yet? Have you showered and dressed from your listed kit? That is how I learned what worked and didn't work for me.

Congratulations on packing light and Buen Camino.

We leave in 3 weeks. My wife and I will begin at SJPP
I did the CF in October last year. I also brought only a sleeping liner and soon discovered it was not warm enough. Mainly because of the the elevation one would be sleeping and at night it can get colder. Other reason is that not all Alberques would provide proper bed sheets or a blanket. I ended up buying a light sleeping bag (local brand Quechua, good for 15c, 40 euros) that weighs almost nothing. Best investment for the entire trip. The other item i would recommend is a "mid layer" with either fleece or wool or synthetic. I used this during cold mornings to warm up under my shell or at night at the Alberques, very practical. As for rain gear, when you get to Galicia it can rain all day, i found my rain shell not that useful, had to pick up a poncho that can cover your whole body. Other item i consider critical is a trekking pole. I cannot see myself walking specially downhill without it. Buen camino.

I'm leaving May 31st from SJPP, and I was going to skip on the fleece, but some local pilgrims have convinced me otherwise (even though I exercise really hot). Typically I just hike in a tank and light long sleeve shirt if it's anything over 35 F. But, the fleece was heavy and taking up a lot of space. I've switched it out for a long sleeve UnderArmor shirt that's designed for cold weather. It's slim, light, and warm. They're probably on a great sale right now since it's spring. I stole mine from my spouse :).
Good decision, I walked most of the camino in my running shorts/synthetic tshirts in October. Mornings and evenings are a different story. In the morning as one starts the walk and evenings/nights a mid layer is very useful. I used Patagonia capilene2 long sleeves, very lightweight and breathable and warm and served its purpose well. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In July/August there was never really a need for a fleece. I would think the same in June. Maybe I could have used one on 2-3 occasions, but that's it. I think a long sleeve, synthetic running type shirt would suffice, and if you have to you can layer a short sleeve on top of it for extra warmth or even a rain jacket. That's probably about as warm as a fleece without having to carry the extra weight and bulk.
Don't know if you need the DEET. I was never hassled by insects on the Camino, just the occasional rude peregrino. Does DEET chase them away? If so, pack a gallon of the stuff, especially the last 100 km's......:D

Thanks all for your replies.

I do have a microfiber towel and sweatrag/facecloth (forgot to mention it).
For water I'm just planning on buying plastic 1L bottles and refilling until then bust/break/disintegrate.
I've gone ahead and added a silk pillowcase.
Based on mixed advice, I'm probably going to forego the fleece and go with another long sleeve shirt.
One dose of Imodium is already in the First Aid kit (will buy more if needed), as are a few assorted Compeed patches. I assume Compeed is readily available on the Camino - true?
We will bring one small headlight between the two of us.

Cher..
We've done lots of practice runs and checked out all but "sleeping" in the silk sacks. Excellent advice and a new prep-mission.
I don't do "liners" for my socks, but my wife does, so "yes" and "no". :)

RE: weight
I know these things are recorded in all sorts of different ways so...
All-in, including 2L water I'm running around 10kg.

If you withdraw the lightest combination of clothes items that I'd ever wear (hiking boots, poles, and 1pr each of shorts, shirt, underwear and socks), the heaviest I'll every carry on my back is 8.5kg.

If you look only at contents of the heaviest contents I'll carry less water and the pack itself that's 4.7kg. which I think is not too bad.

Items I could still leave behind camera tripod (80g), go to a half size towel (90g), extra camera battery (80g), Brierly guidebook (270g), 1 pr. convertible pant legs (170g), facecloth/sweatrag (50g), flashlight (80g), pocketknife (90g). Leaving all of that behind saves 0.91kg.

It's tempting but probably not necessary at this point however if you were a newbie pilgrim, which items would be first on your list to leave at home?

Mark....curious about your Deet comment. We live in NC-USA and we practically bathe in the stuff in the summer. I've heard really different stories about mosquitos/midges, etc.
Anyone have experience on the Frances in May26-July1? Maybe it is an item to go on the "leave at home list".

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Mark....curious about your Deet comment. We live in NC-USA and we practically bathe in the stuff in the summer. I've heard really different stories about mosquitos/midges, etc.
Anyone have experience on the Frances in May26-July1? Maybe it is an item to go on the "leave at home list".

I grew up in south Louisiana and lived and worked (mostly outdoors) for several years in south-central (gulf coast) Texas. Mosquitoes are a part of life during the summer in both places as you probably can imagine. So I've had a lot of experience with insect repellents and saw no need for it on the Camino (July/August). Didn't see a single mosquito. Didn't get a single bite and didn't see anybody using it.

When considering what to take to cover the pillows (you do need something) bear in mind that the pillows are larger than standard UK/Australian pillows (you don't say where you are from so hopefully you will know what size they are). The first time I took a sarrong with me which I wrapped around the pillow and could use for other purposes. The second time I took my silk liner which I didn't need to use as a liner and wrapped that around it. You mention taking a silk pillow case, just make sure it can cover long pillows.

As for an item to drop - pocket knife. But others will strongly disagree.

[QUOTE="
What are we missing that would be considered critical?[/QUOTE]

In addition to what has already been said I would suggest a hat ...... sounds silly (and you may have thought this too obvious to mention) but rain or shine you will need one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Jumpin....a hat is already on the original list. But thanks!
Brawblether....thanks for the pillow size alert. Hadn't thought of that.

Personally, I would take a light sleeping bag, a real towel and a light vest. The bag because I want to sleep in my own clean warm place, the real towel because they are more bulk than weight and the vest because it's light and Europe always feels cold to me (I keep my house at a constant 72 deg). I'd leave the phone and the guide book at home they are both ubiquitous on the Camino.

Walked in 2013 on almost exactly the same dates. No issues with insects.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you withdraw the lightest combination of clothes items that I'd ever wear (hiking boots, poles, and 1pr each of shorts, shirt, underwear and socks), the heaviest I'll every carry on my back is 8.5kg.
For the gear you have listed, that seems like a very heavy pack. Not sure from where the weight is coming.

For the gear you have listed, that seems like a very heavy pack. Not sure from where the weight is coming.

Koi: well that weight does include 2l (2kg) of water. Does that explain it?
The pack itself (with cover is 1.81kg).

Deet is staying home. Thanks everyone.
How about one of those foam mats/rolls. I see several photos of pilgrims with those. Necessary or personal preference?

Last edited:

How about one of those foam mats/rolls. I see several photos of pilgrims with those. Necessary or personal preference?
I had factored in the water, and your weight still seems quite high (at least to me). The weight of your backpack does explain some of that, it is from 0.5 to 1.0 kg heavier than it probably needs to be; there are lots of lighter and durable packs in the 30-40 litre range.

You've got a fairly minimalist list of gear in the OP, and even after subtracting water and the excess pack weight, it still seems heavy. Perhaps an area to look is your first aid or toiletries section, especially for liquids. I saw huge tubes of toothpaste, and large suntan lotion bottles and shampoo/conditioner bottles being toted around by some pilgrims. I only needed 1.5 oz of sunscreen over six weeks because I used long-sleeve backpacking shirts and a sun hat. Large bottles of anything are not needed because you can replenish along the way. Also, clothing could be another area of hidden weight.

Some of us here are "gram-weeneys" and others are not, but a good gram scale can help spotlight where gear changes might be made. I personally aim at 4 kg as my core pack weight, and then I have roughly 1 kg of luxury items (e.g. extra utensils for use in the albergue kitchens because I love to cook, my smoking pipe, tobacco, and paraphernalia, etc.). Add in 2 kg for water, and I'm at 7 kg with luxuries.

You're not likely (read: highly unlikely) to need a mat. You should have beds everywhere you stop, even if this requires a little flexibility on your part. There is a recent thread on the phenomenon of newer pilgrims panicking about getting a bed, and lots of good advice within it (and other similar threads).

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I had no need for a ground pad/mat/roll and didn't bring one. I suppose if you plan on sleeping outdoors, sure, but not needed in the albergues.

Koi....I suspect the items in orange are the culprits. RE the journal+credential weight - I write/sketch...alot....so this is probably my luxury item but maybe I can trim it down a bit. Ok. Here's the total list. Items in orange are on my "may leave behind" list. The knife won't make it on the plane anyway, but I might pick one up on the trail so I'm including it.

Item Total kg's
Backpack w/rain cover 1.81
Socks (4pr) 0.31
Underwear (2pr) 0.14
Jacket 0.29
S. sleeve shirt (2) 0.28
L. sleeve shirt 0.16
Extra L.sleeve shirt in lieu of fleece 0.24
Silk Sleeping Sleeve 0.15

Camera 0.26
Phone 0.10
Charger 0.09
Toiletries 0.14
Mini-Tripod 0.08
Towel 0.25
Recharge battery (l) 0.13
Xtra Camera battery 0.08
Passport+credit cards 0.06
Brierley 0.27
Journal+Credential 0.37
Sandles 0.36
Hiking Boots 0.80
Shorts 0.26
Convertible Legs 0.14
Shorts 2 0.28
Sweat Rag 0.05
Hat 0.11
Flashlight 0.08
Sunblock 0.11
Deet 0.07
Knife 0.09
Soap 0.11
Drybag 0.08
Stuffsack 0.10
Poles 0.14
Water 1l (2) 2.00

Total Weight

Max weight on carried. Total Weight less lightest ensemble 8.50
Total weight of contents in pack less water and lightest ensemble 4.68

Thanks for asking the equipment question again. I have two long sleeved wicking shirts, a light polartec long sleeve thermal, a short sleeved Merino t-shirt, and a light raincoat (just thin EVA plastic). I was also wondering about fleece or something similar since i tend to feel cold quite easily. After reading the posts, i guess I'll opt to bring a sarong instead of fleece. A sarong will be lighter and I will be able to use it as a scarf, towel, portable dressing room, extra blanket (I have a light sleeping bag), pillow case, even as a skirt.

My husband Manuel, daughter Michelle, and I will begin walking from St. Jean on May 24. Our plane out of Santiago will be on June 29. Buen Camino to all of us.

• camera/iphone/charger
  • rain jacket
  • .. . .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
everything is relative. you will carry sort of 1okg and this might be fine. why not just take a 8kg pile of old newspapers, stuff them in the backpack, and after the breakfast on sunday morning walk some 15km. let say in 3 hours. then have a lunch and walk 15km more. then ask your body, whether it is fine with him to do this some 30 days in row. most importantly is to find the correct pace for the load you carry, and it is really helpful if during the walk you distract from the physical particularities. for instance try to recall who was the first girl you date, and what would be if ... :)
anyway, regarding your list - you have rather heavy socks for the summer hike, and why you count in your hiking boots?
finally, even though I have not yet been on the Way, I believe it will sort out everything. what worries me more at the moment is the garbage in my soul, what I should get rid off before I go.

[QUOTE="

In addition to what has already been said I would suggest a hat ...... sounds silly (and you may have thought this too obvious to mention) but rain or shine you will need one.[/QUOTE]

And also sunglass ... you walk west and in the afternoons you will have the sun in your face all the time

In addition to what has already been said I would suggest a hat ...... sounds silly (and you may have thought this too obvious to mention) but rain or shine you will need one.

And also sunglass ... you walk west and in the afternoons you will have the sun in your face all the time[/QUOTE]

Sorry, complementing:

1) A little flashlight to help you in the mornings to grab your things without having to turn on the light at the albergue room;
2) Earplugs - unless snoring orchestra is not enough to wake you up
3) If you're planning to start walking while it is still dark, to have a little blinking light is a good idea, so cars can see you

Orlando

A selection of Camino Jewellery
After reading the posts about robberies near Seville, I'm packing pepper spray, knife, even larger machette, pistol, AK47, one or two hand grenades and some C4. The only draw back is it's going to push my pack weight up from 2.7 kgs to well over 90 kgs. Think I'll have to include a trolly. Also may have a problem at the airport;)

After reading the posts about robberies near Seville, I'm packing pepper spray, knife, even larger machette, pistol, AK47, one or two hand grenades and some C4. The only draw back is it's going to push my pack weight up from 2.7 kgs to well over 90 kgs. Think I'll have to include a trolly. Also may have a problem at the airport

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Koi....I suspect the items in orange are the culprits. . . .
If I read your list correctly, you're talking about "from the skin out" (FSO), which includes the weight of the clothing you are wearing. When I subtract out what I figure is the lightest combination of clothing and gear that you're likely to wear, it amounts to 1.6 kg, which brings your gear in line with what I would expect. A few remaining thoughts:
  • Your backpack is probably too heavy, although I would be very cautious about what you move to if you wish to cut out some weight there. Unless a lighter pack wears just as comfortably under load, the reduced weight may not be worth it.
  • Your towel is fairly heavy; there are lighter "backpacking" towels out there. Mine is 35 grams and works like a "shammy", which is functional but certainly not luxurious.
  • Your recharge battery is probably excessive. I assume the spare camera battery is because it is not rechargable, or because you are likely to take a LOT of pics each day.
  • A very small bug spray "spritzer" (~30g) would probably suffice (I never had need to use it even once in May/June).
  • I assume the "jacket" is really a breathable rain jacket, such as Gore-Tex or eVent.
  • I took a GorillaPod mini tri-pod, but never used it. If my camera were remote controllable for pictures, I probably would have used it more.

After reading the posts about robberies near Seville, I'm packing pepper spray, knife, even larger machette, pistol, AK47, one or two hand grenades and some C4. The only draw back is it's going to push my pack weight up from 2.7 kgs to well over 90 kgs. Think I'll have to include a trolly. Also may have a problem at the airport;)

I think the pistol alone would suffice for close in work on Camino robbers with knives.
Ditch the machete, grenades, AK47 and C4. That'll shave a few kg's off your load. ;)

Yes, but don't you need grenades to toss over the wall at the vicious dogs?

Notice: No animals were harmed in the posting of this message.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
After reading the posts about robberies near Seville, I'm packing pepper spray, knife, even larger machette, pistol, AK47, one or two hand grenades and some C4. The only draw back is it's going to push my pack weight up from 2.7 kgs to well over 90 kgs. Think I'll have to include a trolly. Also may have a problem at the airport
Forget the trolly. Use an HMV. I bet the mountain bikers (the rude ones, that is) will think twice about coming up behind you unannounced and then yelling at you for not being out of their way . . .

If I read your list correctly, you're talking about "from the skin out" (FSO), which includes the weight of the clothing you are wearing. When I subtract out what I figure is the lightest combination of clothing and gear that you're likely to wear, it amounts to 1.6 kg, which brings your gear in line with what I would expect. A few remaining thoughts:
  • Your backpack is probably too heavy, although I would be very cautious about what you move to if you wish to cut out some weight there. Unless a lighter pack wears just as comfortably under load, the reduced weight may not be worth it.
  • Your towel is fairly heavy; there are lighter "backpacking" towels out there. Mine is 35 grams and works like a "shammy", which is functional but certainly not luxurious.
  • Your recharge battery is probably excessive. I assume the spare camera battery is because it is not rechargable, or because you are likely to take a LOT of pics each day.
  • A very small bug spray "spritzer" (~30g) would probably suffice (I never had need to use it even once in May/June).
  • I assume the "jacket" is really a breathable rain jacket, such as Gore-Tex or eVent.
  • I took a GorillaPod mini tri-pod, but never used it. If my camera were remote controllable for pictures, I probably would have used it more.
Thanks Koi

One week until we fly out from the NC. Thank you all for your advice. After a few tweaks (dumped Brierly for example), I've ended up at 14.1lbs (6.41kg) less water which I'm satisfied with.

Buen Camino everyone.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.